Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Jul 6th 2013 new
(quote) Marianne-100218 said: An excellent summary of things happening, as only a professional like yourself
could give. Thank you, Paul.
Just to make the picture even clearer about the latest unemployment figures.

We all know the figures, no matter what party is in office, do not present an accurate picture., for no other reason that people who are not working and are not actively seeking work are not counted as unemployed. Nevertheless, those figures are compiled in a consitent manner across all administrations.

However, a more complete examination of all the Governments data in this report shows the following.

1) This is now the longest stretch of 7.5% + unemployment on record.
2) Only 47% of adult Americans have full time jobs.
3) Only 58.7% of the adult civilian population is working at any job.

Now someone could argue that points 2 & 3 are misleading since the adult civilian populations include stay-at-home moms (Dads) Handicapped and other health challenged individuals whose infirmities preclude them from working, etc.

But granting them their objections and adjusting the figures for those cases still leaves those numbers at a disturbing high level.

If adult participation in the working force were at the same level as before this whole mess started, 9 million more Adults would be working than there are today.

So much for those deluded Obummer voters who believe that Democrats and Obummer are more concerned with the poor and average persons in our country.

Would a Republican, in the latest case Romney, be able to do better. Hard to say even though Romney has demonstrated an ability to succeed in the past, something that Obummer could not even convince a mentally challenged person to believe about himself.

I would argue, that no one, Republican or any of the fringe parties. could do worse. After all when Obummer, Pelosi, Barneke and the rest have done absolutely nothing right (and I am not just talking about economics) the worst anyone could do is to do exactly what this group of Yahoos has done.

Jul 6th 2013 new
(quote) Katherine-137883 said: Yes, American is going downhill at an alarming rate. I won't even debate that one. Which brings up the question I am searching the internet for (and maybe I should have started a new topic)-- As part of our moral and financial bankruptcy, I am wondering how likely the whole financial system will collapse and have been doing research but don't know who to believe. We have created the financial mess and we know God will let us destroy ourselves due to our continuous rejection of Him. So..... I am gathering financial data and trying to figure out if I should move everything into a fixed rate - which will be almost nothing at this time. I keep thinking if we self implode in the next year and I was so close to making a big financial move and I don't do it...... I will be sick to my stomach.

So for others who have determined the demise of America is inevitable - have you made any decisions financially?

I also wonder if increased instability in the Middle East is one more red flag. I suppose if Iran or North Korea fires off a nuclear bomb soon, the stock market might take something that qualifies as more than a bump down.
Katherine, I have felt similarly; if you discern a viable financial action, I pray you share it. smile
Jul 6th 2013 new
(quote) Cathy-564420 said: Thanks for the info here, but I still don't know what to do with my stocks/bonds/savings? The only person making money on my money is my bank. I'm afraid the all American dollar invested or not will be worth nothing so it probably doesn't matter where you put it, but I'm sure Obama has an idea for US, ugh.

OK, I'm going to my Happy Thoughts.
Step One: Get out of any BANK - use a Credit Union.
Jul 6th 2013 new
David, can you elaborate on that more? Thanks
Jul 6th 2013 new
Ok, nevermind. I see this is an "I hate Obama" thread. I don't understand why people blame a politician for declining values. The trend will not change no matter who is there. The gays have been out of the closet for a long time now. Let's keep government and religion separate. One doesn't need to follow government laws if one is religious.
Jul 6th 2013 new
Amen. Great post. Some people take legalism to far. Reminds me of the Pharisees in Jesus' time.
Jul 6th 2013 new
Sorry I meant to quote Christine's post. Newbie here. Actually some of the posts on this thread remind me of Catholic forums which I was very glad to leave.
Jul 6th 2013 new
(quote) Michelle-985969 said: Ok, nevermind. I see this is an "I hate Obama" thread. I don't understand why people blame a politician for declining values. The trend will not change no matter who is there. The gays have been out of the closet for a long time now. Let's keep government and religion separate. One doesn't need to follow government laws if one is religious.
Michelle, good observations. I'm noticing the same. And BTW, Michelle, your last statement is not entirely accurate - the Bible addresses obedience to civil law, but I suspect you really mean to refer to "evil" or unjust law, such as that which would require Catholic institutions to provide contraceptive or abortion support. (NOTE that there is a sticky wicket in that realm... if that institution is accepting any sort of Government support ... camel's nose!)

There IS a rather excessive focus on Obama here. I don't dispute any point made; I'm largely in agreement. HOWEVER, this situation did not originate with Obama, it goes well back to the early 20th century, and possibly a bit earlier. Woodrow Wilson expressed concern that what he had done with the best intentions may have been horrible mistakes - referring to establishment of The Federal Reserve and Income Tax (if I remember correctly). Eisenhower warned us about the "Military Industrial Complex" and money power. It all seems to be "coming to a head" with the last two administrations.

More than once I'm sure I saw Satan's countenance in the face of "W" - especially during State of the Union addresses, the first time was so terrifying I can't even begin to describe it. I have seen same in "O". At this point the two big parties are the edges of a double-edged and very bloody sword. On one side is the pretense of policy that would care for the disadvantaged, but only preys on them as well as the rest; and on the other is the pretense of policy that protects and insures profit that again preys on everyone creating even more disadvantaged.

Let us never forget that Lucifer was the most brilliant and beautiful of all the Angels, and remains so today (I've never seen any scripture, etc. to suggest otherwise), thus his power to deceive always has such a head-start on us.

I have to admit that I have been too immersed in trying to lead my own family through difficulties in the past many years, and then re-stabilizing my own situation and immediate family after the sudden divorce; and am struggling and praying to learn enough to discern what position and/or actions to take for my own part as a citizen.

God, help us! Praying

PS: It is little understood that "Separation of Church and State" is NOT a Constitutional decree. The Constitution merely (please forgive the dismissive adverb) states that the (Federal) Government may not establish a State religion... Which they are arguably violating when everything they do promotes Atheism - which IS a de facto religion. I can't address state constitutions, I haven't studied any.
Jul 6th 2013 new
(quote) Michelle-985969 said: Ok, nevermind. I see this is an "I hate Obama" thread. I don't understand why people blame a politician for declining values. The trend will not change no matter who is there. The gays have been out of the closet for a long time now. Let's keep government and religion separate. One doesn't need to follow government laws if one is religious.
I don't hate Obama. I just think his policies are destroying America faster than his predecessors and I think his moral compass is in the toilet. But I try to pray for him as opposed to hating him.
Jul 6th 2013 new
Thanks Paul for lots of information. I have always had stocks but am not feeling like I need to get out. Maybe I will put some limits on them and move some mutual funds into more conservative funds - and then resort to prayer instead of worrying and creating doomsday scenarios.
Posts 41 - 50 of 164