Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people 45+. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

The story of Abraham and Sarah is told in chapters 11-25 of the book of Genesis.
Learn More:Abraham & Sarah

Nobody's baby now?

Jul 6th 2013 new
Are your parents still alive?
If not, when did they die?
Do you have any particular thoughts about their passing, in either case?
Jul 6th 2013 new
(quote) Marge-938695 said: Are your parents still alive?
If not, when did they die?
Do you have any particular thoughts about their passing, in either case?
My mom died in 1994. She had her share of health problems. She was a sweet lady and I was her 7th kid. She was 40 when I was born. I kind of wish she had me when she was younger or I was one of the older kids so she would have been in my life longer. My dad is still stubborn and independent at age 87. So longevity is on his side!
Jul 6th 2013 new
Dad died in 1997, Mom in 2011. How many times do I wish I had one more day? When no one else knew my heart, they did. My Dad was a firefighter. I still say a Hail Mary when I hear a siren. He taught all six of us kids to do that for the people who needed help right then & there! Funny thing is he wanted us to pray for the injured or sick. And more often than not, nowadays, I pray for them both! My Dad was my hero, guardian, and mentor. I carry in my purse, his silly plastic glow in the dark rosary he kept in the car and used often.
My mom became one of my best friends! She lived with me her last 5 years. She showed me how to die with grace and dignity. There is a hollow emptiness in a part of my Spirit that went to heaven with them. In its place is the promise of hope that one day united with Christ, we shall rejoice together.
All I have ever wanted was a marriage like theirs. Ups and downs, struggle and strife, they truly were best friends! They needed no one else to feel alive and loved. No matter the season, at sunset they would sit out at First Street Beach in Manistee and pray a rosary together. They lived and loved as true Christians.
Jul 6th 2013 new
My dad died in January 2004 with my mom, me, and 2 of my brothers by his side. He was a difficult man to be around and rarely showed affection but I knew he had a fierce love for his family. After dad died, my mom spent the summers with me and my son for the next 7 years until January 2011 when she died while I held her hand. Mom was 30 when her mom died so I was comforted by the thought that since I was 53 I was blessed to have had my mom for 23 years longer than she had hers.
Shortly before she passed she was looking very distant and mumbled something that ended with my dad's name. I asked her what she said about dad and she very firmly stated "I'm TALKING to Roland!" I guess he was waiting for her hug
Jul 7th 2013 new
Thankfully, my parents are still here. Dad just turned 80 and Mom just turned 78. They will be married 58 years in November and would you believe my Grandmother will turn 99 in October? I am wonderfully blessed biggrin !
Jul 7th 2013 new
What a beautiful story Christine! Thank you for sharing it. I'll come back to this topic about my own parents when I have more time.
Jul 7th 2013 new
My dad died in1980. a very family orientated person who took care of 7 girls and 1 son. I was at his beside when he passed away. He loved music and we as a family owe a great deal of our musical talent to him. He was able to show hi love for each one of us in his own way. He was 76 when he God took him to his Heavenly home. Mum lived for a lot longer and passed away in 2008 at the lovely age of 95. All her daughters were around her when she died. I miss her and her gentle ways especially as she got older. She loved her children, grand children and great grand children. Mum was 40 when she had me. Sadly I also lost my one and only brother who was the last one in the family. He went to meet his Maker in 2001. Mum loved to sing and be part of all our get togethers. I miss them all greatly.
Jul 7th 2013 new
My dad died in 1995 and my mom in 2010, I miss them both every day. They had such opposite deaths: Dad died within six months of his gastric cancer diagnosis. Mom had vascular dementia and deteriorated for ten years until she did not know my name at the end. In the last five years of her life she had many falls resulting in a fractured skull, fractured arm, fractured pelvis, and finally two fractured hips four months apart. When she fractured her second hip, her heart was too weak for surgery. We had very few options and none of them were good. We finally took her home with hospice. She lasted two weeks and then died a quiet death - two Sundays before Easter. I learned a lot from the deaths of my parents and my reaction to them. I was my mom's caregiver for those ten years and have a new appreciation for those who care for their parents.

I thought I would feel like an orphan, after mother's death, but I don't. It's all about being grateful for two wonderful, hardworking, loving, and selfless parents.

Jul 7th 2013 new
Mine are both gone many years now. It was a strange thing to not be a daughter anymore at the tender age of 15. The loss and the early independence that came with it shaped me in more ways than I can articulate. The biggest gift was that I put people first because I know how quickly and irrevocably things can change.

Thanks for the thought provoking topic.
Posts 1 - 9 of 9