Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

My children and I eat almost all meals together,sitting down, gathered around the dining room table, no cell phones, no i-pods, no tv, sometimes quiet background music, talking,laughing, having real conversations!
And the food is 'homemade', healthy, hearty -- not fast-food from McD or Chinese take-out.
It seems I'm in the minority -- some of my friends don't even have a table for meals!
Some of my sons' girlfriends and daughters' boyfriends had never experienced a 'family meal' without tv and not on the sofa in front of it!
And we pray! Every meal! Even when we go out to eat as a family!
Please tell me their are others on here that enjoy meals like this!
Or if you live alone, do you hope for meals like this and remember them like this from your childhood?
And... I hang all my laundry out on the lines to dry naturally in the sun at no cost!
Who else loves the smell of sun dried clothes and bedding?
The veggies in our meals often comes from my little backyard garden -- isn't it great to pick your own sun-ripened tomatoes, leaf lettuce, peas,etc for your salad and meals?
We read real books! And play actual board games. And enjoy biking and walking and swimming and games like badminton, soccer, tennis, as a family, for fun, not just the league teams.
Tell me how you live!

Jul 8th 2013 new
Rachel:

You are unique and traditional, but not at all strange. Everything you do takes
extra effort, and to do that for your family is time well spent.

I do hang some of my laundry out to dry--and you are right--the smell is
incomparable to any smell you will get. Even the room smells better when
those clothes are brought into the house.

Times have changed. All these modern conveniences and order out of food
is supposed to help the woman of the house so she will have more time.

You have chosen to spend your time very wholesomely. And I miss eating
at the table with my family as you asked.
Jul 9th 2013 new
(quote) Rachel-731570 said: My children and I eat almost all meals together,sitting down, gathered around the dining room table, no cell phones, no i-pods, no tv, sometimes quiet background music, talking,laughing, having real conversations!
And the food is 'homemade', healthy, hearty -- not fast-food from McD or Chinese take-out.
It seems I'm in the minority -- some of my friends don't even have a table for meals!
Some of my sons' girlfriends and daughters' boyfriends had never experienced a 'family meal' without tv and not on the sofa in front of it!
Or if you live alone, do you hope for meals like this and remember them like this from your childhood?
And... I hang all my laundry out on the lines to dry naturally in the sun at no cost!
The veggies in our meals often comes from my little backyard garden -- isn't it great to pick your own sun-ripened tomatoes, leaf lettuce, peas,etc for your salad and meals?
We read real books! And play actual board games. And enjoy biking and walking and swimming and games like badminton, soccer, tennis, as a family, for fun, not just the league teams.
Tell me how you live!

Yes You are doing it properly and RIGHT! People MUST have a table but I experienced this oddity too when I went and did a home visit at a home for work and there WAS NO TABLE JUST a huge couch and HUGE TV. VERY unhealthy. YOU ARE helping your children be healthy and relational and well rounded and HAPPY! Congrats!
Jul 11th 2013 new
(quote) Rachel-731570 said: My children and I eat almost all meals together,sitting down, gathered around the dining room table, no cell phones, no i-pods, no tv, sometimes quiet background music, talking,laughing, having real conversations!
Tell me how you live!

What, you haven't turned your kids into iPad zombies? What's wrong with you? All because of you, your kids will someday look back and thank you for the quality time they spent with you around the dinner table, giving thanks to our Lord for His Blessings, and sharing each other's day. What kind of a mother are you? laughing theheart
Jul 11th 2013 new
Tell me how you live!

That's the way it's been in my family.
I'm a bachelor now, but I still tend to pray before meals. I still have a meal with my extended family on a regular basis.
I do dry clothes on a line, weather permitting (clothes freeze before they dry at 29 F smile)
I've been bouncing around the west like a pinball for the past few years, so I've had quite a disincentive to growing anything that can't be container gardened. I'm experimenting with Celery right now, but not much success. My first batch got leggy, the other batch died for no apparent reason, a friend got it to grow outdoors in a raised bed. We'll try transplanting it back indoors in the fall.
I've never really liked tablets and e-readers, I stick to real books. I have a supply of boardgames (a smart teacher is never without them), and I play a few sports recreationally.
What some parents will do to their children just blows my mind. TVs and Tablets for baby sitters? Meals in solitude? Meals elsewhere than a Dining room table? No time unplugged from electronic devices? Why don't we just wire their brains directly into a computer and use their metabolic processes to generate the electricity (Matrix wink)?
Jul 11th 2013 new
My family ate meal together when we were smaller but as we grew we all gravitated to the living room and ate in front of the new. Thanksgiving became the only meal we ate together except on the Sundays after church when we might go out to eat.

I don't watch much tv. I work alot and that doesn't leave much time but when I do it's mostly news or movies. I hike and kayaks so much of what I do it outside. Also yard work. If I'm not doing all that sometimes I read but since I bought a house I haven't had the time..
Posts 1 - 6 of 6