Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Jul 8th 2013 new
(quote) Michelle-985969 said: But I'm done with even bothering to read this thread. All I can see is a bunch of self-righteous Pharisees. So God bless you all.
Jesus said the Pharisees speak with authority and to do what they do (Matthew 23). Your claim is that we are correct but oppressive? If you want us to be oppressive and wrong, calling us self-righteous Sadducees would be more applicable.
Jul 8th 2013 new
Jesus changed many of their laws such as healing on the Sabbath, For him, it was much more important to love than follow a law. Sir I don't know whether if it was the Pharisee's law or the Sadducees and really be a nitpicker about the issue shows something about you as a person.

Anyway my whole issue is that it is very dangerous to impose. The Church did in the past during the Inquisition and unfortunately that is what most atheists hate about Christianity.
Jul 8th 2013 new
(quote) Marianne-100218 said:
Note: Judaism does have a requirement to get an abortion if the life of the mother is in danger; I prefer to keep away from health/rape/genetic conditions arguments in abortion debates as the overwhelming majority are completely voluntary.

Alex: Is that a requirement or a suggestion in Judaism?
Actually I am finding slightly different opinions on the matter. It appears that one may consider the psychological health of the mother when making the decision. If you decide to look this up yourself, keep in mind that Reform and Conservative opinions have (in my mind) similar value to Protestant opinions. If you look up Orthodox Jewish opinions, you will have to familiarize yourself with an interminable list of names and books, some of which sound similar. This is somewhat akin to trying to get an opinion on something in Catholicism and getting presented with a long list of Saints, Church Fathers, and Popes and writings by them.
Jul 8th 2013 new
(quote) Michelle-985969 said: But I'm done with even bothering to read this thread. All I can see is a bunch of self-righteous Pharisees. So God bless you all.
For all who are reading this thread, please know that following our Church is not always easy. Or popular. But it's essential for us to be obedient to Her, and not allow our awesome faith to get watered down via listening to the media, other denominations, non-Christians. Satan is alive and well, and is prowling like a lion, seeking to devour each and every one of us. We are all susceptible. We need to recognize that there is a war going on here on earth. One that has eternal consequences. One that we already know the ending to. God wins. We need to never lose sight of this. We want to not only fight to keep ourselves on the one true path, the winning side, but we also need to make it our mission to win over as many other souls as possible. THAT is our purpose in life. To bring glory to God in all that we do, and to help others make it to heaven. We are never supposed to be passive about our faith.

We really are the one true faith, one that began over 2,000 years ago with Jesus.
Jul 8th 2013 new
(quote) Alex-789274 said: Actually I am finding slightly different opinions on the matter. It appears that one may consider the psychological health of the mother when making the decision. If you decide to look this up yourself, keep in mind that Reform and Conservative opinions have (in my mind) similar value to Protestant opinions. If you look up Orthodox Jewish opinions, you will have to familiarize yourself with an interminable list of names and books, some of which sound similar. This is somewhat akin to trying to get an opinion on something in Catholicism and getting presented with a long list of Saints, Church Fathers, and Popes and writings by them.
"The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone! 'Father, the atheists?' Even the atheists. Everyone! And this Blood makes us children of God of the first class. We are created children in the likeness of God and the Blood of Christ has redeemed us all. And we all have a duty to do good. And this commandment for everyone to do good, I think, is a beautiful path towards peace. If we, each doing our own part, if we do good to others, if we meet there, doing good, and we go slowly, gently, little by little, we will make that culture of encounter: We need that so much. We must meet one another doing good. 'But I don't believe, Father, I am an atheist!' But do good: We will meet one another there."
Jul 8th 2013 new
(quote) Wendy-387654 said: For all who are reading this thread, please know that following our Church is not always easy. Or popular. But it's essential for us to be obedient to Her, and not allow our awesome faith to get watered down via listening to the media, other denominations, non-Christians. Satan is alive and well, and is prowling like a lion, seeking to devour each and every one of us. We are all susceptible. We need to recognize that there is a war going on here on earth. One that has eternal consequences. One that we already know the ending to. God wins. We need to never lose sight of this. We want to not only fight to keep ourselves on the one true path, the winning side, but we also need to make it our mission to win over as many other souls as possible. THAT is our purpose in life. To bring glory to God in all that we do, and to help others make it to heaven. We are never supposed to be passive about our faith.

We really are the one true faith, one that began over 2,000 years ago with Jesus.
"The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone! 'Father, the atheists?' Even the atheists. Everyone! And this Blood makes us children of God of the first class. We are created children in the likeness of God and the Blood of Christ has redeemed us all. And we all have a duty to do good. And this commandment for everyone to do good, I think, is a beautiful path towards peace. If we, each doing our own part, if we do good to others, if we meet there, doing good, and we go slowly, gently, little by little, we will make that culture of encounter: We need that so much. We must meet one another doing good. 'But I don't believe, Father, I am an atheist!' But do good: We will meet one another there."
Jul 8th 2013 new
(quote) Michelle-985969 said: Jesus changed many of their laws such as healing on the Sabbath, For him, it was much more important to love than follow a law. Sir I don't know whether if it was the Pharisee's law or the Sadducees and really be a nitpicker about the issue shows something about you as a person.

Anyway my whole issue is that it is very dangerous to impose. The Church did in the past during the Inquisition and unfortunately that is what most atheists hate about Christianity.
My intention with the comment was to introduce some humor as I think we are (including myself) becoming uncharitable towards each other. While I did find this comment funny, I apologize for making it.
Jul 8th 2013 new
can we get back to the real issue Obama bringing this country and the whole world down
Jul 8th 2013 new
(quote) Alex-789274 said: My intention with the comment was to introduce some humor as I think we are (including myself) becoming uncharitable towards each other. While I did find this comment funny, I apologize for making it.
I'm sorry Alex then if that was your intent. Thanks for clarifying. biggrin
Jul 8th 2013 new
(quote) Michelle-985969 said: Jesus changed many of their laws such as healing on the Sabbath, For him, it was much more important to love than follow a law. Sir I don't know whether if it was the Pharisee's law or the Sadducees and really be a nitpicker about the issue shows something about you as a person.

It really is turning out to be true what they say--when a person can't continue
with a discussion--they institute personal attacks. You have been doing that
all night.
Posts 121 - 130 of 164