Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

I do. If you are attracted to someone,you want to touch them and hug them, right? If you just want to be friends, there is no attraction in my book. How does that fit in with becoming friends first and then becoming romantic?

Jul 9th 2013 new
In all honesty, I think people who want friendship first are just wanting to have someone "safe" in reserve. You know how women want the cool bad guy and have the good one in reserve when the other relationship backfires. Just my insight on this.
Jul 9th 2013 new
I don't think so. I've seen friendships like that either cross boundaries or hurt feelings. If you're really close why wouldn't you date or nudge the relationship closer?

Jul 9th 2013 new
Is that why guys just want to be friends? They just want to keep you around just in case the person they are interested in doesn't work out?
Jul 9th 2013 new

It depends on what you find attractive and why you want to date someone. Do you make the assessment based on physical attraction alone? I don't.

Friends and romantic interests are not necessarily mutually exclusive categories to me. You can be just friends, or you can be just romantic interests, or you can be both.

I want to marry the man who will be my best friend. Not everyone sees things that way, so I respect the differences of opinion on this.

There's a lot that goes into how I view this, including Catholic teaching on chastity, wanting to build a lasting relationship that doesn't end after the first grey hair sprouts or when the wrinkles start to multiply, wanting to enjoy time together with some common interests, being able to tolerate each other's quirks (if you're not friends with someone, the quirks quickly become annoyances), and so on.

As for the whole bad boy / nice guy thing, those generalizations do not apply for me. I have zero interest in dating any guy who is disrespectful, or who has commitment issues, behavioural problems, or addictions.

Jul 9th 2013 new
Claudia,

I don't want to generalize, because that wouldn't be realistic, but in my case that's what has happened, so don't take what I say as a law.
Posts 1 - 6 of 6