Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for supportive and informative discussion about divorce and/or the annulment process. All posters must have been previously divorced or annulled.

Saint Eugene De Mazenod is patron of dysfunctional families & Saint Fabiola obtained a divorce from her first husband prior to devoting her life to charitable works.
Learn More: Saint Eugene De Mazenod and Saint Fabiola

Jul 12th 2013 new
I kept my married name Kate because I didn't want my children to feel different from me. Simple as that...although I did ask my attorney if I could change it to a nice Irish name like Callahan or O'Sullivan but he said I only had two options on a free change!

Eileen
Jul 12th 2013 new
(quote) Eileen-890971 said: "...although I did ask my attorney if I could change it to a nice Irish name like Callahan or O'Sullivan but he said I only had two options on a free change!"

Eileen
Very funny, Eileen....very, very funny actually!! tongue wink laughing
Jul 12th 2013 new
With 6 children carrying the name, I haven't changed my name so there is less confusion about me being their mom.
Jul 13th 2013 new
Nina, prayers to you during this time. It is tedious and all the different steps have funny names in Canon "jargonese." Every time I got a letter I had to call the Tribunal office for an interpretation. They were so patient with me. I changed my name at the time of my legal separation. I spoke to a solid local priest ( a marriage and family theologian) after the legal separation about my situation when I needed spiritual direction. I told him that I had already changed my name, and the reasons why. He pointed out that a woman changing or not changing her name is a cultural issue and NOT a Canonical issue. Many Hispanic cultures have an interesting way of hyphenating names, mother's, fathers , etc, I can't remember exactly the "formula" that they use. Again, prayers to you. PM me if you want to.
Jul 13th 2013 new
Thank all of you for giving me so much to think about. I've really struggled with this decision because of my son. I'm finally at a point with all the divorce paperwork being finalized that I just need to make a decision and stick to it. I've had some things happen professionally over the last few days that has made me want to go back to my maiden name and start my career over. Same field, old company, new start. I think that timing is everything and maybe everything is happening at this time for a reason.

Thanks you for all your input. It's nice to talk about these things with people who have been through it.

Kate
Jul 21st 2013 new
Glad you feel you got great advice Kate. I am going to change mine to my great-grandmother's name: McCarty. It died with her beause there was no one to carry on the name. I come from an abused child background so I do NOT want my maiden name either. I have to come up with 300 dollars to do it but then I will keep; marry or not. I'm not changing my name again.
Posts 41 - 46 of 46