Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

I am just wondering if living together when you are seniors (65 and older) isn't the best life style that older people can have. The only difference between the two would be having sex I suppose. The church frowns upon that. Of course some people are pretty sexually active into their later years and others aren't . Marriage at a advanced age carries all kinds of problems in the legal sense of the word. There are wills and trusts involved depending on which spouse has the most children etc. Of course there are all kinds of other things that come into play so I would like to ask CM members to bring up the complexities of commitment in the later years of ones life.

Thank you
Jul 15 new
(quote) Quentin-43809 said: I am just wondering if living together when you are seniors (65 and older) isn't the best life style that older people can have. The only difference between the two would be having sex I suppose. The church frowns upon that. Of course some people are pretty sexually active into their later years and others aren't . Marriage at a advanced age carries all kinds of problems in the legal sense of the word. There are wills and trusts involved depending on which spouse has the most children etc. Of course there are all kinds of other things that come into play so I would like to ask CM members to bring up the complexities of commitment in the later years of ones life.

Thank you
Quentin, I believe the Church would frown upon living together as unmarrieds just as much as having sex outside of marriage because wouldn't it really be the same thing? I just turned 70 & my guy 67 & we plan to be married in the Church in just a few months. We both know there are situations to work out in re: finances, etc. but I think with the proper advice, we can do so favorably & equitably. I would not consider anything but working within God's will according to His commandments & all the wisdom He's imparted through the Scriptures. I don't care how old you are, you are not exempt from obedience if you call yourself a Catholic Christian. If you wish, I can cite scriptural references or you can consult the Catechism or Theology of the Body among other sources.
Jul 15 new
Just this past week I read this while praying:
When Abram was ninety-nine years old, the LORD appeared to him and said; "I am God the Almighty. Walk in my presence and be blameless."
I take this to mean that there is no age limit to doing what is right. No one is exempt from the truth because they anticipate fewer years of life left to them.
Jul 15 new
I can't live with someone. I want the sacrament. I will either have that or I will be alone. if I lived with someone I wouldn't be able to receive the Eucharist without confessing all the time and it seems like a lie to go to confession and say I'm sorry and then persist in having sex outside the marriage covenant. I also know myself well enough to know that there is no way that I could have a man in my home, that I love and care for and not share that bond with unless it were for medical reasons. Just ain't gonna happen here.
Jul 15 new
I guess I forgot to mention that living together in a celabate life, you know living without sex. Older people can do that but it might not be possible for the younger crowd. I just think that the church insistance on a ceremony and a signed piece of paper is really the only difference between the two life styles. What do you folks think?
Jul 15 new
Sorry Quentin, maybe living a celibate lifestyle would work for some folks. If that be the case, one can rent out rooms in their house and have companionship of several other people. But at 60 years old, I am quite certain that I have too healthy of a libido to consider any other arrangement other than sacramental marriage! I guess that is one of the things that I worry about with older men....... Is he going to need a little blue pill a couple times a night? Just saying.... There are some benefits to being an active healthy woman.....
Jul 15 new
Good for you Christine, I was giving one option. We are not all the same. Anyway to each his own way of looking at this subject as there are many answers to the question. The church just has it two ways. Considering all the scandal in the church in recent years and before I think there are less important things that they are consentrating on and that is why the church seems to be loosing younger members all over the globe. It fails to modernize and revamp with the times.
Jul 15 new
Quentin, I wonder if what you said about the Church losing younger members is an accurate statement. I see young families joining the Catholic church. I read the posts of young men & women here in these forums who indicate a true devotion to their faith, some of whom seem to be preferring a more traditional Church, people who are very well versed in Scripture and the tenets of our faith. That is truly heartening.

I don't think the Church is concentrating on anything more these days than it ever has especially if you are referring to basic morality. In fact, I believe that information is easily available these days about Biblical principles, about topics that were once hush-hush such as divorce & annulments. And having served in divorce ministry for many years, I know that a lot of misconceptions abound about these topics even today.

I really don't know what you mean by saying, "The church has it two ways." As stated previously, sin is sin no matter the age of the sinner or if the sinner is a lay person or a religious. As far as living together celibately, I might prefer to do that with another female who is a good friend rather than with someone of the opposite sex. There have been many threads opened in these forums about the possibility/feasibility of male-female friendships. If I remember correctly, the general consensus was that one of the friends might harbor a more romantic view of the other & it would become especially uncomfortable if they were sharing a home. I guess anything is possible, though, as long as both people are fully committed to celibacy.

I still opt for the sacrament of marriage & look forward to sharing a full life with my special sweetheart in the next few months dealing with any obstacles as they occur, relying on the wisdom of the Holy Spirit and the grace that the Lord bestows on us.
Jul 15 new
(quote) Quentin-43809 said: I am just wondering if living together when you are seniors (65 and older) isn't the best life style that older people can have. The only difference between the two would be having sex I suppose. The church frowns upon that. Of course some people are pretty sexually active into their later years and others aren't . Marriage at a advanced age carries all kinds of problems in the legal sense of the word. There are wills and trusts involved depending on which spouse has the most children etc. Of course there are all kinds of other things that come into play so I would like to ask CM members to bring up the complexities of commitment in the later years of ones life.

Thank you
Does anyone ever get a church wedding with no license, i.e., a sacramental marriage that is not a legal one? Is that possible? Would Father bounce you out of the office for bringing it up?
Jul 16 new
(quote) Quentin-43809 said: Good for you Christine, I was giving one option. We are not all the same. Anyway to each his own way of looking at this subject as there are many answers to the question. The church just has it two ways. Considering all the scandal in the church in recent years and before I think there are less important things that they are consentrating on and that is why the church seems to be loosing younger members all over the globe. It fails to modernize and revamp with the times.
God has never changed, so why should His church?? Satan has infiltrated the church enough. It does not need more modernization; it needs more people who willing to evangelize and draw young people to the faith!!
Posts 1 - 10 of 57