Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

During Consecration

Jul 14th 2013 new
Is it correct ettiquette to beat your chest three times when the bells are rung during the consacration of the host during mass. Three times after the bread is consacrated and again three times when the wine is consacrated. My mother always does it and I do it because I think it's a beautiful practice. If anyone knows, I'd be much obliged:)
Jul 16th 2013 new
Breast beating is done to implore God's mercy and to acknowledge our own sinfulness. It is indeed beautiful. It's a holdover from the days of the Latin Mass, but there's no reason at all not to do it now.

It bugs me when people complain about the homily -as if we're to be entertained at mass. I always tell them to focus on what happens on that altar, really focus, during the consecration. THAT and not the homily is the reason we go to mass.
Jul 16th 2013 new
(quote) David-364112 said: Breast beating is done to implore God's mercy and to acknowledge our own sinfulness. It is indeed beautiful. It's a holdover from the days of the Latin Mass, but there's no reason at all not to do it now.

It bugs me when people complain about the homily -as if we're to be entertained at mass. I always tell them to focus on what happens on that altar, really focus, during the consecration. THAT and not the homily is the reason we go to mass.
Although you are correct to point to what is happening on the Altar, the homily is an integral part of the Mass. It is where the faith is supposed to be taught to the people. The very truth you rightly say people should be focusing on, should be explained and exhorted.

It is a shame that as a group Catholic Priests are horrible deliverers of sermons. Their inadequacies range from the pompous bloviator who while saying a lot, says nothing to those who, deliver short sermons with even less content. or those who meander from one idea to another leaving his hearers confused.

Personally,I think the Bishops would do well to send seminarians to Protestant seminars for courses on how to deliver sermons so that the overall quality would improve.

By the way, the only "brest beating" that I rmemeber being part of the old Latin mass was the "mea culpas" in the Confiteor and the trice repeated "Dominae non sum dignus" preceeding communion. The rubrics for the Novus Ordo, still calls for the striking of the brest in both these cases but only once for each as opposed to the old total of 6 times (3 during the priest's recitation and three during the Alter boys recitation) of the Confiteor and once for the Domine which is only said once as opposed to the tree times repitition of the past..

But if someone wants to beat their breast at the Consecration with meaning, more power to them. It was never an offical rubric at the Consecration.
Posts 1 - 3 of 3