Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Is Hell Inevitable...?

Jul 19th 2013 new

I thought that I was pretty comfortable spiritually until I joined CM.....I have read many forums and I feel that I'm just doomed to Hell.....
There seems to be so many rules that are possible to break and some people seem so fanatically condensending in the way they preach of fire and Hell ....

I'm pretty old and most of my life is behind me...I am scrupulous very often especially now being a widower and not having my wife to balance my scrupulous patterns...

I guess the narrow path means few go to Heaven,,and the wide path means Hell...

It can be pretty scarey....Very SCAREY.....I don't think that I'm good enough for God to let me into Heaven...I wouldn't let me into Heaven,,why would God...??

Is it meant to be so impossible ???
Jul 19th 2013 new
theheart Boy Kenny, one of the greatest gifts we have as Catholics are the seven sacraments. Implement them and find your peace with God Praying rosary theheart

We have a loving and Merciful God who died on the cross to save us! It is never too late to take heed!
Jul 19th 2013 new

I do participate in the sacraments..I do go to confession often and Holy Communion....I do try to gain strength from the Sacraments....

I guess I'm just being introspective lately and wonder and doubt about my eternal life....
Jul 19th 2013 new
Ya know Kenny, I do too at times, but it sounds like you are human. We slip and fall, and he is always there to pick us up if we are asking him to.

You are doing fine and God Bless ya and we all need a pick-me-up sometimes!!

People that go to Hell usually want it!
Jul 19th 2013 new
(quote) Kenny-949632 said:

I thought that I was pretty comfortable spiritually until I joined CM.....I have read many forums and I feel that I'm just doomed to Hell.....
There seems to be so many rules that are possible to break and some people seem so fanatically condensending in the way they preach of fire and Hell ....

I'm pretty old and most of my life is behind me...I am scrupulous very often especially now being a widower and not having my wife to balance my scrupulous patterns...

It can be pretty scarey....Very SCAREY.....I don't think that I'm good enough for God to let me into Heaven...I wouldn't let me into Heaven,,why would God...??

God did not create mankind in order to damn the greater number of them. His mercy is beyond our comprehension. Never despair of your salvation. The Divine mercy prayer is simple: "Jesus I trust in you". Say that over and over all day. God is a loving father. if you had children you'll remember how indulgently you looked upon them when they were trying to be good even when they couldn't quite swing it all the way. God sees into our hearts. When he perceives a willingness to know love and serve him, he helps that person accomplish this. We can't do anything on our own, but if we ask God for help and work to accept his assistance, he will bring us the rest of the way.

Consider these two quotes from St. Therese of Lisieux:

"I assure you that the good Lord is much kinder than you can imagine. He is satisfied with a glance, with a sigh of love... In regard to myself, I find it easy to practice perfection, because I have learned that the way to Jesus is through His Heart. Consider a small child who has vexed his mother by a display of bad temper or disobedience. If the child hides in a corner through fear of punishment, he feels that his mother will not forgive him. But if instead, he extends his little arms towards her and with a smile cries out: Love, kiss me, mamma, I will not do it again, will not his mother press the little one to her heart with tenderness, and forget what the child has done? And yet, though she knows very well that her dear little one will misbehave again at the first opportunity, that means nothing if the child appeals to her heart. He will never be punished..."

and

"You make me think of a little child that is learning to stand but does not yet know how to walk. In his desire to reach the top of the stairs to find his mother, he lifts his little foot to climb the first stair. It is all in vain, and at each renewed effort he falls. Well, be this little child: through the practice of all the virtues, always lift your little foot to mount the staircase of holiness, but do not imagine that you will be able to go up even the first step! No, but the good God does not demand more from you than good will. From the top of the stairs, He looks at you with love. Soon, won over by your useless efforts, He will come down Himself and, taking you in His arms, He will carry you up... But if you stop lifting your little foot, He will leave you a long time on the ground."

------

These are beautiful. We should never despair of our salvation. God loves us and created us for heaven. He just wants us to be faithful. But neither should we ever prsume upon God's mercy. We must earnestly want to know love and serve him and ask for his help. With this interior disposition, a little effort, and a lot of trust in God's goodness, we will spend eternity with him.
Jul 19th 2013 new
I just know the love God feels for each and everyone of us, and when we fall, he is there to pick us up if We Ask Him to.

Just like David quoted from Mother Theresa. Also knowing that he died for us and will be there for me when I fall and will forgive me if I ASK Him for Forgiveness theheart

Kid's disobey, do things we aren't proud of, try our patience daily, trust me, but we know at the end of the day we would fight until the end for them just as in God's Love for each and everyone of US!
Jul 19th 2013 new
If Hell were inevitable, then there would be no point in going to Mass. If that were true, then the sacrifice on the cross would be for nothing.
Jul 19th 2013 new
Kenny: When I was in grade school, an old nun said to us that God is an all forgiving father and that the only way you would go to hell is if you committed murder. Otherwise, since we are all sinners we may have to go to Purgatory for a short time to make up for our sins. Just keep going to the sacraments and doing good for others and you will be alright
Jul 19th 2013 new

Just for you, Kenny. The rest of us know a secret shortcut to heaven, but God made us promise not to tell you. wink
Jul 20th 2013 new

Unfortunately, one of the saddest things that occurred after Vatican II under the FALSE Banner of "The Spirit of Vatican II" is the reversal; of Jesus Christ's own teaching on the issue.

He said in no uncertain terms that many are called but few chosen. And the path and gate to salvation are narrow while those to perdition are wide.

The "everyone goes to heaven except those who commit murder" crowd are wrong in no uncertain terms. From Christ's own words, it would be reasonable to conclude that more people will go to hell than heaven. But that remains a fairly loose statement. It could mean that exactly one more soul will go to hell, than heaven, or that by many orders of magnitude more will go to hell than heaven.

But Christ's words should not cause us to despair. And how many will go to hell vis a vis heaven should not be our
concern, that is God's bailiwick. The prime concern each of us should have is, Will I go to heaven?

God provides all of us the means and graces to obtain salvation. And to help us, he also provides the Church. So getting to heaven is as simple as and as difficult as our cooperating with the means and graces God gives us. Nothing more and nothing less.

Just remember that both despair and presumption are deadly sins. That is they are sins that will condemn us to hell. We cannot presume on God's mercy, which the "everyone goes to heaven crowd" are guilty of nor can we despair that our sins are sop great that God cannot forgive us.

Your last 4 paragraphs are very telling in many ways. You say you are scrupulous and that you don't think your good enough to for God and if it were up to you you would not let yourself in.

Well first of all, only God is the judge of who will and who won't. But more important to you in the here and now, if you go to confession on a regular basis and make a good confession each time, do whatever penance the priest assigns and be assured that when he said "I absolve you, etc." your nsins were forgiven., So now forgive yourself, God did!
Posts 1 - 10 of 159