Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

I am traveling and attended a new (to me) parish today. They welcomed visitors and gave us a medal with their church's name and the Holy Family on the front. I'm a new Catholic. What do folks do with these medals?

Blessings,

Michael
Jul 21st 2013 new
Get a chain and wear it. There are many other sacramental medals you can get too
Jul 21st 2013 new
(quote) Michael-780154 said: I am traveling and attended a new (to me) parish today. They welcomed visitors and gave us a medal with their church's name and the Holy Family on the front. I'm a new Catholic. What do folks do with these medals?

Blessings,

Michael
You can also place it in your wallet
Jul 21st 2013 new
(quote) Michael-780154 said: I am traveling and attended a new (to me) parish today. They welcomed visitors and gave us a medal with their church's name and the Holy Family on the front. I'm a new Catholic. What do folks do with these medals?

Blessings,

Michael
You could also put it in a drawer and forget about it when you get home.

Although it is a sacramental, it is not necessary to do anything with it.

The one thing we must absolutely not do with it is to make it something more than it is. I have known Catholics who go overboard and turn these Holy objects into a superstitious amulets.
Jul 22nd 2013 new
Hi Michael - the medals (if they have been blessed by a priest) carry graces and special protection from heaven. If you are interested I would go to the Miraculous Medal website to gain an understanding of that particular medal. I personally never leave home without a scapular and wear the Miraculous Medal (of Our Lady) and St. Benedict. The power these sacramentals have to bring graces and protection to souls is well documented in church history.
Jul 22nd 2013 new
Hi Michael - the medals (if they have been blessed by a priest) carry graces and special protection from heaven. If you are interested I would go to the Miraculous Medal website to gain an understanding of that particular medal. I personally never leave home without a scapular and wear the Miraculous Medal (of Our Lady) and St. Benedict. The power these sacramentals have to bring graces and protection to souls is well documented in church history.
Jul 24th 2013 new
I personally would attach it to my rosary :) Curious, where did you end up attaching it?
Jul 24th 2013 new
I second Kristin, look into getting some information and learning the story of the Miraculous Medal. I too have a Miraculous Medal, a St. Benedict Medal and a Crucifix about me. My St Benedict medal is attached to my Brown Scapular, but my Miraculous Medal and my Crucifix I wear on a necklace and I never take it off... never :)
Jul 28th 2013 new
(quote) Anya-974452 said: I personally would attach it to my rosary :) Curious, where did you end up attaching it?
Hi, Anya. I actually put the medal in my wallet for now. Lots of great replies in this thread, and this newbie Catholic is learning. For now I'll just keep the medal in my wallet til I figure out a better place. :-)
Posts 1 - 9 of 9