Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Is Gods love all that you need to sustain you?This is one of many things I have struggled with over the years Yes, God ispresent in our lives, but as a human in this very human world, if you are alonewithout family, how do you handle it psychologically and emotionally? Yes, wehave our friends, but it is not the same In fact, I have friends who do treatme as family, but the fact is I am not really a true member of their family When its 10 oclock on a Tuesday nite and you feel down, or if its 3:00 on aSunday afternoon and youre at loose ends, who is there for you really? So,if there is no one down here who cares if you are happy or sad or anxious orexcited, or had a success or had a failure, who cares if you are sick or hurtor down or up, if you dont really matter to anyone, well then, do you matterat all??? And yes, of course there isGod, but does it take a saints faith to have that be enough, or at least be someonewho is of saintly proportions? I dont know, I find it hard, because at leastfor the present moment we are in this world, and it is difficult to wonderfullypossess such abiding faith so as not to be taken down by the loneliness andalienation and rejection that one can feel in these moments

So, what if (God excluded) . what if you matterto no one? .

Jul 21st 2013 new
"Then Peter said: Behold, we have left all things, and have followed thee. Who said to them: Amen, I say to you, there is no man that hath left house, or parents, or brethren, or wife, or children, for the kingdom of God' s sake, Who shall not receive much more in this present time, and in the world to come life everlasting." (Luke 18:28-30)

> what if you matter to no one?

Make yourself matter to someone. Volunteer at a homeless shelter, soup kitchen, Catholic Charities, etc.

We have control over what we do for others. We have no control over what others do for us: we have to have faith and God will provide when we need it.

Jul 21st 2013 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: "Then Peter said: Behold, we have left all things, and have followed thee. Who said to them: Amen, I say to you, there is no man that hath left house, or parents, or brethren, or wife, or children, for the kingdom of God' s sake, Who shall not receive much more in this present time, and in the world to come life everlasting." (Luke 18:28-30)

> what if you matter to no one?

Make yourself matter to someone. Volunteer at a homeless shelter, soup kitchen, Catholic Charities, etc.

We have control over what we do for others. We have no control over what others do for us: we have to have faith and God will provide when we need it.

Actually, I have done some volunteer work ...but that's different than having some emotional intimacy on a personal level ... not quite the same ...
Jul 21st 2013 new
Richard: You are not alone in this world though at times it may feel that way. I am sure that your friends and family care a great deal about you. Whenever you are feeling alone, just say to yourself that no matter what happens God is there for you. As for companionship, I know that in time you will find the perfect companion to help you travel through life. Just have to hand in there and keep the faith.
Jul 21st 2013 new
(quote) Richard-15378 said: Actually, I have done some volunteer work ...but that's different than having some emotional intimacy on a personal level ... not quite the same ...
True, it's not the same. But not the same doesn't necessarily mean bad.

Loneliness occurs when we focus inward and lament on what we don't have. When we focus instead on others and what we can give them and on God, there is nowhere for loneliness to take root.

Jul 21st 2013 new
(quote) Maria-963080 said: Richard: You are not alone in this world though at times it may feel that way. I am sure that your friends and family care a great deal about you. Whenever you are feeling alone, just say to yourself that no matter what happens God is there for you. As for companionship, I know that in time you will find the perfect companion to help you travel through life. Just have to hand in there and keep the faith.
But as I stated, what if there is no family? Can friends be enough? I doubt that ...if we all just had "friends" and friends alone, that would be a pretty lonely world ... So, the question still is, if no one had you as their first priority and vice versa, what do you really have in this world ...not the next world, but this world ..
Jul 21st 2013 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: True, it's not the same. But not the same doesn't necessarily mean bad.

Loneliness occurs when we focus inward and lament on what we don't have. When we focus instead on others and what we can give them and on God, there is nowhere for loneliness to take root.

I don't know, that takes a sort of "otherworldly" person to be able to be content with that ... Humans get lonely ... Saints probably can overcome that, but we mere mortals, it is very tough .....
Jul 21st 2013 new
(quote) Richard-15378 said:

Is Gods love all that you need to sustain you?This is one of many things I have struggled with over the years Yes, God ispresent in our lives, but as a human in this very human world, if you are alonewithout family, how do you handle it psychologically and emotionally? Yes, wehave our friends, but it is not the same In fact, I have friends who do treatme as family, but the fact is I am not really a true member of their family When its 10 oclock on a Tuesday nite and you feel down, or if its 3:00 on aSunday afternoon and youre at loose ends, who is there for you really? So,if there is no one down here who cares if you are happy or sad or anxious orexcited, or had a success or had a failure, who cares if you are sick or hurtor down or up, if you dont really matter to anyone, well then, do you matterat all??? And yes, of course there isGod, but does it take a saints faith to have that be enough, or at least be someonewho is of saintly proportions? I dont know, I find it hard, because at leastfor the present moment we are in this world, and it is difficult to wonderfullypossess such abiding faith so as not to be taken down by the loneliness andalienation and rejection that one can feel in these moments

So, what if (God excluded) . what if you matterto no one? .

I have had to make friends in my town since i moved here in 1993. I still spend a lot of time alone and yet the friends I have made have helped. nevertheless my advice to you and to anyone struggling with this is to keep reaching out and try to form a bond with someone. You DO matter Richard and YOU do matter to many people. Gods love is a lot but we are made for relationship, so for that reason we have to consciously keep looking and keep remaining open to love.
Jul 21st 2013 new
(quote) Marian-83994 said: I have had to make friends in my town since i moved here in 1993. I still spend a lot of time alone and yet the friends I have made have helped. nevertheless my advice to you and to anyone struggling with this is to keep reaching out and try to form a bond with someone. You DO matter Richard and YOU do matter to many people. Gods love is a lot but we are made for relationship, so for that reason we have to consciously keep looking and keep remaining open to love.
Marian, I have many, many friends, good people who would help me if I needed help ... But you know what I mean ... Remaining open to things and having things happen are two different things ... If people don't really "get" you, it's hard to form that deep bond .... Again, does a person matter if there is no real bond anywhere?
Jul 21st 2013 new
I imagine that professed religious feel like that a lot. They live in community but there's not the same sharing or intimacy that there would be in a family.

I think about this when I go to Mass, because it's in a convent of cloistered nuns. They have only each other (and limited interaction with each other, because they are contemplatives) and the presence of us lay people at Mass -- and God.

Somehow, for them, that seems to be enough.
Posts 1 - 10 of 89