Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion on entertainment, movies, television, jokes or light-hearted topics. Please keep discussion clean and appropriate for a Catholic site.

Saint Vitus is the patron saint of actors, comedians, dancers, and of entertainers in general.
Learn More:Saint Vitus

Arrested Development

Jun 17th 2013 new
When Arrested Development was cancelled, I thought the decision makers were crazy. Thankfully, new episodes are streamin and I'm loving it! Is anyone else a fan? What is your favourite episode or character?
Jun 17th 2013 new
One of the funniest shows ever; but the humor is not for everybody.
Jul 5th 2013 new
Arrested Development, IMO, is the funniest sitcom ever made. I can't even come close to naming a favorite episode or character. Buster/GOB/Tobias are the 3 best, but between them, I can't tell.
Jul 5th 2013 new
For those not familiar with the show, the following description of Arrested Development from Wikipedia may be helpful:
The plot of Arrested Development revolves around the members of the Bluth family, who lead extravagant lifestyles, and are also often drawn into interactions with incestuous undertones. At the center of the show is Michael Bluth (Jason Bateman), the show's straight man, who strives to do the right thing and keep his family together, despite their materialism, selfishness, and manipulative natures
Well, it will be difficult to argue convincingly that the show's title is misleading...

The first question to ask is whether watching this show (or engaging in any other activity) helps us to do or to develop our ability to do that for which we were created: to know, love, and serve God? Or whether it occupies our time,keeping us from doing that for which we were created? Does out entertainment inspire us to live a more holy life, or does it glorify behavior that is clearly opposed to the Christian lifestyle?

When we repeatedly expose ourselves to objectionable behaviors, over time we gradually become desensitized and what was objectionable begins to appear to be normal. Just look at the what has passed for entertainment, especially in TV and films, for the past 70 years and you can see how Hollywood has helped lead the way, step-by-small-step, to the abyss of immorality that now threatens to engulf much of civilization.

Jul 6th 2013 new
Thanks for your reply. Your viewpoint is very enlightening. I had not considered that perspective. I'm looking at the show in a new way.
Jul 7th 2013 new
I am 60 years old and can watch Arrested Development over and over and over and I can safely say I've never thought there was anything even remotely "normal" about the Bluth family.
Jul 8th 2013 new
I agree, Allen. I don't think the Bluth family is in any way normal, and I can't imagine that I would change my mind about that even if I watched A.D. with wild and reckless abandon. I don't know, maybe my sense of humour could be tweaked a bit. I get a kick out of the completely ridiculous circumstances that characters find themselves in. I also find Mr. Bean amusing for the same reason, and he is G-rated. I suppose that each of us is entitled to our own sense of humour, just as we are entitled to our own opinions.
Jul 9th 2013 new
I don't think anything the Bluth family does is shown with the idea that it is behavior that should be imitated. If anything, it's encouraging the audience not to act like the Bluths.
Jul 22nd 2013 new
I agree with you, Jacob.
Posts 1 - 9 of 9