Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Jul 23rd 2013 new
I love to talk to strangers and make little connections or moments of 'knowing' another -- usually they like that momentary connection. I like people, I like to see them smile, I like to speak a kind word or compliment someone's eyes or beautiful baby or well-behaved child or just comment on the sunny day, I like to maybe gripe a little in a long line at a check-out and soon have a few people chatting and smiling with each other who otherwise would never speak. Often my kids would ask afterward, "How do you know that person?" or those people and I'd laugh and say I never knew her/him/them before but now we are friends!
But there are times I'm so focused on the task or errand or shopping list, especially when I have talkative kids in tow, that I don't notice others around much. Those are the times I'm not being as welcoming or friendly as I should.
Jul 23rd 2013 new
(quote) Dawn-58330 said: I spent the weekend with about a dozen of my CM friends, all of whom were complete strangers to me six years ago. I love my time with these beautiful people (CM--particularly the fora-- has a way of collecting awesome men and women!) and I want to meet more! After all I am still looking to for my future husband.

This weekend I struck up three conversations with total strangers at the Reds game we attended. Not that these men were men I expected to be able to know beyond those conversations about sports, Cincinnati, or local culture, but it was nice to talk at length with each of them. I decided again that this is good practice for meeting my future man. Something I need to do more of. Even though I am outgoing and a good communicator, I do need to push myself in more venues to talk with men I don't know.

Do you strike up conversations with total strangers? How do you respond to a stranger who initiates a conversation with you (like I did this weekend?) Where do these kind of encounters happen for you?
Lady Dawn,

Yes, I strike up conversation frequently with both genders of any age. I have always had an outgoing personality so I have no issues with your topic. Some are receptive, some not.

Blessings always, Praying hug rose

Leon
Jul 23rd 2013 new
(quote) Katie-985000 said: I talk to strangers all the time! Being a bit of an impulsive talker makes it almost impossible for me not to talk to others when standing in line or in close proximity. Using the conversation is easily welcomed, but I'm sure a few have found me strange.

I think the easiest way to set someone at ease is to find some compliment about them, the setting or the day in general. It's pretty fun to make people smile!

Ditto!!! You saved me from typing almost verbatim the same thing wide eyed laughing angel
Jul 23rd 2013 new
biggrin
Jul 23rd 2013 new
(quote) Dawn-58330 said: I spent the weekend with about a dozen of my CM friends, all of whom were complete strangers to me six years ago. I love my time with these beautiful people (CM--particularly the fora-- has a way of collecting awesome men and women!) and I want to meet more! After all I am still looking to for my future husband.

This weekend I struck up three conversations with total strangers at the Reds game we attended. Not that these men were men I expected to be able to know beyond those conversations about sports, Cincinnati, or local culture, but it was nice to talk at length with each of them. I decided again that this is good practice for meeting my future man. Something I need to do more of. Even though I am outgoing and a good communicator, I do need to push myself in more venues to talk with men I don't know.

Do you strike up conversations with total strangers? How do you respond to a stranger who initiates a conversation with you (like I did this weekend?) Where do these kind of encounters happen for you?
Dawn I talk to strangers all the time. Doesn't matter the gender. I guess it is second nature to me.
I can recall meeting complete strangers at some of the events in Indianapolis. NO ONE is a stranger after meeting some of those folks! laughing
Jul 23rd 2013 new
Sure do biggrin At Target, the ballgame,doctor's office...My friend and I were once at dinner and we started talking to two women next to us about a current event and now we are all friends laughing I really enjoy connecting with all different types of people!
Jul 23rd 2013 new
Hi Dawn. How is your arm BTW? Are you still in a cast? Physical therapy? Just wandering...
back to your subject. Yes I talk to strangers. All my patients are strangers at the beginning of my shift and by the end of it, I don't know who is stranger! laughing laughing

i talk to people in the grocery store, both employees and patrons. When I am with Neill, we garnish alot of attention. Kids want to know why he wears a helmet and he s attracted to older people and girls with blonde hair. When I am alone, people ask me where is my son.
I like it when I am in the dressing room and women ask my opinion of their selections. I tell them take the first one and nix the rest and they appreciate the honesty. Well, most of the time!

Eileen.

Jul 23rd 2013 new
Even the best of friends were strangers once. Yes I will chat it up with anyone.
Jul 23rd 2013 new
(quote) Marge-938695 said: Not as often as I should.
But then, nearly everyone seems like a stranger to me, because I have a terrible memory for faces. Can't tell you how many times I've introduced myself to someone only to find that she and I have worked on five or six projects before, or sat next to each other at a social event the previous week.

Great post, Dawn.

I know how you feel. It can be quite embarrassing when I don't remember someone who clearly remembers me. wide eyed

Jul 23rd 2013 new
Yes, I talk to strangers. After all, a few short months ago, the Indy/Cincy peeps were all strangers to me. Now, it feels like I have known them for years. If we don't talk to strangers, we will never expand our circle to include the one God has in mind for us.

That being said, I will admit that I was more likely to talk to strangers when I was younger. Heck, I would walk up to strangers in th grocery store and give out hugs. As an adult, I feel that I am a little more reserved. Although, there are plenty of hugs to go around to the right folks! I would never shun someone that starts up a conversation with me. However, I am a little more reserved when starting the conversations with strangers on my own.
Posts 21 - 30 of 82