Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Jul 23 new
Very funny and very disturbing...
Jul 23 new
Clever...from the man's point of view? It makes women out to be stupid, not wanting to admit a reality.
Jul 23 new
I don't find anything strange or demeaning about it. It simply is a well-written take on the differences in perspectives that happen sometimes between men and women.

In a loving relationship, who hasn't experienced a conversation like this? (Okay, leave the nail out of it. The nail is a metaphor).

Women think and feel one way and men (sometimes, not all the time, gentlemen) think we're talking about something else. Speaking from a woman's perspective, a woman wants a guy to do more than just scratch the surface. We want them to go deeper (hence, don't just look at the nail). She's talking about life's pressures and her internal struggle. He sees something altogether different.

It's the age-old question: "Why aren't you listening to me?"

Like the creator of the clip, Jason Headley, says with tongue-in-cheek, "Every man has heard these words. And they are the law of the land. No matter what."
Jul 23 new
He wants to point out the nail.
She refuses to consider it.
Typically, women want to be listened to and men want to fix things.
If she wants to talk about life's pressures and her internal struggle, he can lovingly listen. But she shouldn't be deaf to HIS perspective of seeing perhaps why she's experiencing these feelings--the nail--and maybe if she did something about it, she'd be freer of those pressures. Not denying what you said, Secret. Good point that communication is difficult sometimes when we hear the other person through our own filters instead of theirs.
In a dialogue, both parties are responsible to speak their perspective, but each is equally responsible to hear out the other person, if it is to be a dialogue. If a person needs to monologue, it's fair to tell the other person that all that is sought is being heard and maybe understood and accepted.

Jul 23 new
(quote) Lina-796057 said:
If she wants to talk about life's pressures and her internal struggle, he can lovingly listen. But she shouldn't be deaf to HIS perspective of seeing perhaps why she's experiencing these feelings--the nail--and maybe if she did something about it, she'd be freer of those pressures. 
I think that is often the crux going in either direction. It can be so hard to balance in dialogue.
Mother Teresa said there is no compassion without truth but sometimes a person cannot listen until they feel they have been listened to.

Jul 23 new
(quote) Lina-796057 said: ...
Typically, women want to be listened to and men want to fix things...

Hi, Lina,

You're right! Women want to be heard and men have their opinion how to fix things. When shall the twain meet? scratchchin

Again, this is a tongue-in-cheek short film pointing out how men and women view things differently. I don't believe there's a right or wrong answer here. It's simply one of the unique and, might I say, mysterious differences between the sexes.

My point, speaking as a woman (certainly not that I am right) is simply this: He's seeing her (the nail). He's not hearing her (talk about her pressures and struggles). Therein lies the difference.

And my question is: How do the men feel about this? Men say they just don't get what we're trying to say. And they would be right.

It drives home the importance of communication. I know of relationships that have ended due to lack of communication. Communicating to me is like tending a beautiful garden. We give it our attention and lovingly water it, give it sun and pull the weeds.

At least this couple is talking. It's when the talking stops that a relationship is in trouble.
Jul 24 new
(quote) Secret-991193 said: I don't find anything strange or demeaning about it. It simply is a well-written take on the differences in perspectives that happen sometimes between men and women.

In a loving relationship, who hasn't experienced a conversation like this? (Okay, leave the nail out of it. The nail is a metaphor).

Women think and feel one way and men (sometimes, not all the time, gentlemen) think we're talking about something else. Speaking from a woman's perspective, a woman wants a guy to do more than just scratch the surface. We want them to go deeper (hence, don't just look at the nail). She's talking about life's pressures and her internal struggle. He sees something altogether different.

It's the age-old question: "Why aren't you listening to me?"

Like the creator of the clip, Jason Headley, says with tongue-in-cheek, "Every man has heard these words. And they are the law of the land. No matter what."
very nicely said. biggrin Praying
Jul 24 new
Joan, too funny!
Jul 24 new
laughing laughing laughing
Posts 1 - 10 of 26