Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Jul 23 new
Nah, I don't talk with strangers (i.e. start up conversations with them), but I am usually the guy that strangers initiate small talk with while standing in line, etc. I don't like making small talk with people, but I will politely respond to strangers and will listen to whatever they have to say, anyway. I used to have to try hard to avoid giving off a 'stop talking to me/go away' vibe with chatty strangers, but now I find I enjoy lending a friendly ear to good-natured, sociable people and figure this can be a potential way to practice charity toward others.
Jul 23 new
(quote) Leon-593843 said: Lady Dawn,

Yes, I strike up conversation frequently with both genders of any age. I have always had an outgoing personality so I have no issues with your topic. Some are receptive, some not.

Blessings always,

Leon

Hi Leon wave ,

How are you?

Jul 23 new
(quote) Chris-427945 said: Nah, I don't talk with strangers (i.e. start up conversations with them), but I am usually the guy that strangers initiate small talk with while standing in line, etc. I don't like making small talk with people, but I will politely respond to strangers and will listen to whatever they have to say, anyway. I used to have to try hard to avoid giving off a 'stop talking to me/go away' vibe with chatty strangers, but now I find I enjoy lending a friendly ear to good-natured, sociable people and figure this can be a potential way to practice charity toward others.

Chris , you would blend in very well here in NYC. Strangers usually don't talk to each, make eye contact and or say hello when they pass you. Unlike other places outside of the city where strangers say hello to each other or waves when driving by each other on a lazy country road. As a matter of fact, if strangers are too friendly and chatty here, many will seriously think they have a couple of screws loose. Really.

Jul 23 new
(quote) Josephine-586127 said:

Chris , you would blend in very well here in NYC. Strangers usually don't talk to each, make eye contact and or say hello when they pass you. Unlike other places outside of the city where strangers say hello to each other or waves when driving by each other on a lazy country road. As a matter of fact, if strangers are too friendly and chatty here, many will seriously think they have a couple of screws loose. Really.

That's funny you mention that, Josephine. I've always wanted to go to NYC. For one, I hear it's one of the best cities to meet single women.
Jul 24 new
(quote) Josephine-586127 said:

Wow, I was going to mention that. Sometimes making eye contact in New York is a sign of aggression. People are usually in a rush, feeling some sort of stress, and get that annoyed look if you almost bump into them on the sidewalk. There is competition for parking spots, places on line, a seat on a bus or subway, etc. Neighbors don't seem to know each other anymore. Small town hospitality is not the norm in New York city, although nice people do exist.

I remember walking down the street in the south (Memphis), and had a few hellos from strangers. It was culture shock! Sad but true.
Jul 24 new
Hi Dawn it was interesting to read your posts. To tell you the truth I use to be a really shy person when I was young. However, I out grew my shyness after working retail. Working retail truly helped me get out of my shell. It truly made me more open to talking to strangers. Amazingly, anywhere I go I pretty much talk to strangers whether it is a simple hi or hello or even a smile when I am walking. It truly is a great way to meet new people and build friendships. Also you never know you could meet an interesting person who has lots to share.Talking to strangers is an enjoying and fun way to meet new people. It is a great way to interact. Do you have any advice on how I can grow my line of friends. I have sent messages, but no response yet. Lol....
Jul 24 new
(quote) Chris-427945 said: That's funny you mention that, Josephine. I've always wanted to go to NYC. For one, I hear it's one of the best cities to meet single women.

Oh yeah Chris, single women galore here. Most are not practicing Catholics though assuming that's what you're looking for. You would have to go to the many catholic events if you want to meet a nice Catholic girl. Lots of great single women at Catholic events. Do your homework before getting here.

Jul 24 new
(quote) Julie-42315 said: Wow, I was going to mention that. Sometimes making eye contact in New York is a sign of aggression. People are usually in a rush, feeling some sort of stress, and get that annoyed look if you almost bump into them on the sidewalk. There is competition for parking spots, places on line, a seat on a bus or subway, etc. Neighbors don't seem to know each other anymore. Small town hospitality is not the norm in New York city, although nice people do exist.

I remember walking down the street in the south (Memphis), and had a few hellos from strangers. It was culture shock! Sad but true.

Exactly Julie.

However, I don't want to give the impression NY is an unfriendly town. As you said, there are nice people here and with all our faults, people are genuine here. Few phonys. And New Yorkers are quick to jump in and help if someone's in trouble.

Jul 24 new
Yep, I'm a chatty, sociable sort. As my sister puts it, I am the world's most extroverted introvert. I am the crazy lady asking the checker how her kids are doing because we talked about them last week. This trait has been helpful in teaching. I am definitely an introvert though- I recharge in solitude and relish my alone time. With physical custody of 2 active kids though, I'm lucky to get 6 minutes a day! tongue
Jul 24 new
laughing If they don't look too scarey .....everyone is a stranger before you get to know them.
Posts 31 - 40 of 82