Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people under 45. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

Frassati was dedicated to works of social action, charity, prayer and community.
Learn More:Pier Giorgio Frassati

Young Adults Group Ideas

Jul 28th 2013 new
I am from a parish that has no young adults group, though there are many young adults. It is my hope to start a young adults group there, but I'd like some feedback.
So... if you were able to attend such a group (or if you already do), what are some things you'd like to see/do/learn. I'm open to anyone's suggestions and I'd love to hear what other people would like from a young adults group. So if you have a book you think would make for a great book study, an event you would attend, or anything you think could help this yet unbuilt group, then please leave a comment.
Jul 28th 2013 new
I would definitely say a bible study to discuss the bible with other young adults. Also, opportunities to do charity work together. Then of course social events too, such as a movie night or restaurant night. I am a member of St. Patrick's Cathedral Young Adults in NYC and these are the types of events that are offered, although I wish there was a young adults group on Staten Island since due to my work schedule I hardly ever have the opportunity to take part in these events offered by St. Pat's in the city, especially since many of the events are only offered during the week. My parish has a teen group, but no young adult groups and the reason being where are all the young adults? irked
Jul 28th 2013 new
Thanks for the suggestions. Would you say that one day of the week should be set aside for such a group, or that it's better to plan for different times and days so as to offer the event to more people?
Hahahaha. It is strange how some parishes can abound in young adults while others do not. The parish I grew up at has almost no young adults that stick around for more than a year.
Jul 28th 2013 new
My parish has a fairly successful young adult group. It is based around a weekly adoration hour followed by a social hour. I think both aspects are very important. Regrettably, the audience for Bible studies tends to be somewhat small. It's certainly something to work toward, but to get the group off the ground, I would say go with something that requires less up front commitment - rosary followed by bar outing, that sort of thing. Adoration is great, but it requires an ongoing commitment from a core group of people (and clerics) to coordinate. If you've got that, excellent. If you don't, start even simpler. Whatever you do, don't forget the social aspect. People come in part because it's where they see their friends. And it's how new arrivals make friends, which then really cements things together.

Our group meets on Sunday nights. It has met on Sunday nights for 8 years now. People nobody in the group even knows occasionally show up on Sunday nights at the appropriate time because they heard from someone that heard from someone that a group meets at my parish then. In short, there are advantages to a set schedule. Unless you've got a whole lot of people working exclusively second shift, there aren't that many young adults who can't - at least sometimes - make it on any given evening of the week. Pick something from Sunday to Thursday and make it yours.

God bless your endeavors!
Jul 28th 2013 new
I would definitely agree that you should pick one day of the week for your meetings, maybe Sunday since everyone should be around for church anyway biggrin
Jul 28th 2013 new
Thanks. That's very helpful.
Aug 1st 2013 new
In my parish there used to be a group for 18-30 year old singles that I attend. Every Tuesday evening they gathered at 7pm to pray the Rosary, have a brief Bible reflection/discussion, and then people hung around and socialized afterwards. When the group started years ago there was a team of single people who shared responsibilities for leading prayer, organizing social events, and volunteering opportunities. Unfortunately our group ended when people moved, got married, or became 30+.
Aug 1st 2013 new
Does your parish have a library? I would suggest having a couple hours a week when people can come in to read, not discuss read, other books in Catholicism. I have found between Sedevacantists here and Sola Scripturists on another forum, few Catholics (including myself) know little about Catholic Doctrine or thought.

Orthodox Jewish synagogues (at least the ones I have been to) do have study times and make the library easy to find.
Aug 2nd 2013 new
I would start out small...walk before you run. Rather than setting up bible studies and other commitments that require a core of people maybe start out with a weekly lunch after Mass once a month. Something like a monthly lunch would be low commitment on your part since you didn't invest any time planning anything if the response is low. But once you get to know a few people maybe get a sense if they wanted to commit to some sort of small group or a service event. And let other people take responsibility in organizing if they feel they wanted to set up something further.

But yeah take it a step at a time just see if you can get a regular group of people together for lunch after mass and see what develops from there.
Aug 2nd 2013 new
I agree that it might be more valuable and more with a long-term goal to start off slow. I know a Protestant church near me that goes for breakfast after morning mass, you can even do something like that, which might be nice.
Posts 1 - 10 of 21