Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

I know about the wide path and the narrow path and the10 commandments....

I also read and watch on TV many interpretations of all of these....Does Jesus mark on a curve ??????

I want to go to heaven,,but I'm not sure that i'm good enough..Billy Graham says none of us are good enough,,St. Paul says the same...

How narrow is THAT Gate and how WIDE is the other gate,,,????

I'm much closer to death than birth,,maybe you are too,,,,I have this vision that i''ll die and God will laugh at me and say,,,, """ Where do you think you're going """

And Hell is for a real long time....If I die tonight or this week what can I do to go to Heaven..?? or is it just a lost cause..?

This sucks as I am a widower and don't have my wife to guide me any longer....
Jul 29 new
The short answer to that is that only you and God know. None of us have the ability to judge your soul, which is a good thing. But as long as you die in a state of grace, you will go to Heaven. The only way to not be in a state of grace is to commit a mortal sin.

If you're not familiar with it, there are three conditions that must be met for a sin to be mortal.

1) It must be grave matter. In general, for instance, it would not be grave to take a penny.

2) You must know it is a grave sin. You cannot accidentally commit a mortal sin. God doesn't smite people down in ignorance.

3) You must choose to do the sin of your own free will. No one can force you to lose your salvation. If you rob a bank because someone has your family held at gunpoint and will shoot them if you don't, it's probably not your mortal sin.

If any one of these things aren't true, the sin is probably venial. I say probably because again, in the end God is your judge and only He and you know all of the circumstances that occurred. This is where a good spiritual director and/or confessor comes into play and if you don't have one, I highly recommend you get one. Your diocese should have a list of spiritual directors at their office who would be happy to talk south you and help guide you through your spiritual journey. I know it was really helpful for me.

God gave us priests and the sacrament of confession because He wants us to be in Heaven with Him. As long as we avail ourselves of that sacrament regularly, I think we have little to fear of not being in Heaven in the end. For me, I have a certain sense of confidence in my salvation not because I am so good, because I'm not, but because I'm so sorry and my God is so forgiving. I know that He wants me as long as I want Him, so I just keep striving to want to want Him more because that's about the best I can hope for. I know He's not going to cast me aside, so I just have to make sure that I keep choosing Him, even when I stumble and fall sometimes.
Jul 29 new
(quote) Pamela-880383 said: The short answer to that is that only you and God know. None of us have the ability to judge your soul, which is a good thing. But as long as you die in a state of grace, you will go to Heaven. The only way to not be in a state of grace is to commit a mortal sin.

If you're not familiar with it, there are three conditions that must be met for a sin to be mortal.

1) It must be grave matter. In general, for instance, it would not be grave to take a penny.

2) You must know it is a grave sin. You cannot accidentally commit a mortal sin. God doesn't smite people down in ignorance.

3) You must choose to do the sin of your own free will. No one can force you to lose your salvation. If you rob a bank because someone has your family held at gunpoint and will shoot them if you don't, it's probably not your mortal sin.

If any one of these things aren't true, the sin is probably venial. I say probably because again, in the end God is your judge and only He and you know all of the circumstances that occurred. This is where a good spiritual director and/or confessor comes into play and if you don't have one, I highly recommend you get one. Your diocese should have a list of spiritual directors at their office who would be happy to talk south you and help guide you through your spiritual journey. I know it was really helpful for me.

God gave us priests and the sacrament of confession because He wants us to be in Heaven with Him. As long as we avail ourselves of that sacrament regularly, I think we have little to fear of not being in Heaven in the end. For me, I have a certain sense of confidence in my salvation not because I am so good, because I'm not, but because I'm so sorry and my God is so forgiving. I know that He wants me as long as I want Him, so I just keep striving to want to want Him more because that's about the best I can hope for. I know He's not going to cast me aside, so I just have to make sure that I keep choosing Him, even when I stumble and fall sometimes.
Pamela, thank you for that answer. I guess. like Kenny, am always afraid of the thoughts of sin; ie. lust in your heart, or anger in your heart. Let's just say when I die I hope there are no pretty nurses on duty.
Jul 29 new
You never have to be worried about feelings sending you to Hell. If you can't control it, God won't judge you for it. That doesn't mean we shouldn't be working on improving ourselves, of course. But we can't help, say, an initial twinge of lust upon looking at a man or a woman across the street. We can control whether we continue to look at said person, whether we fantasize about that person or whether we permit ourselves to pursue that thought and objectify the person. But if we, as a wonderful dear consecrated sister once said, simply pray "Thank you, God, for the gift of that beautiful man/woman!" and move on, then we have not sinned.

You can feel anger, too, and not sin. Jesus got angry sometimes - think of Jesus clearing out the temple of the people selling things there. Ephesians 4:4 tells us "In your anger, do not sin" implying that you can be angry and sin, or be angry and not sin. There is righteous anger and there is destructive, sinful anger.

Again, a good spiritual director who is also your confessor is absolutely invaluable when you're struggling with what is sinful and what is not.

Don't be afraid. 1 John 5:18 tells us that perfect love casts out fear. Trust in God who loves you. You can't secure your own salvation. You're human and weak and flawed and if it were up to you (or me or anyone other than God) you would crash and burn. But it's not up to you. God wants you to be with Him and as long as that's what you want too, He'll see to it that it's done.

The road to Hell is wide because a lot of people just want things their own way. They would rather do it their way than God's way. They're the ones who trust in their own abilities and think they are wiser than God and its just not possible. St. Therese of Lisieux says in her little way that she used to try to do all things by herself, but then she realized that she just couldn't. So instead. she likened herself to a child who sat at the bottom of the stairs and cried. And God, being her gentle father, came and lifted her up to the top of the stairs and she didn't have to do a thing. Just let Him do all the heavy lifting and trust that He knows what's He's doing. Stop trying to do it yourself! You're only going to drive yourself crazy.
Jul 29 new
Ask out Lord and Lady to grant you the grace of a Good Death. Not an easy one but a Good one. Ask now and everyday.

Jul 29 new
(quote) Tim-734178 said: Ask out Lord and Lady to grant you the grace of a Good Death. Not an easy one but a Good one. Ask now and everyday.

And the difference being what?? Will just a bit of pain and a little bit if terror suffice, or will it be necessary to have a lot? Cancer maybe? A sudden heart attack?

I'll trust our Lord has the situation in control, thank you very much.
Jul 29 new
(quote) Pamela-880383 said: You never have to be worried about feelings sending you to Hell. If you can't control it, God won't judge you for it. That doesn't mean we shouldn't be working on improving ourselves, of course. But we can't help, say, an initial twinge of lust upon looking at a man or a woman across the street. We can control whether we continue to look at said person, whether we fantasize about that person or whether we permit ourselves to pursue that thought and objectify the person. But if we, as a wonderful dear consecrated sister once said, simply pray "Thank you, God, for the gift of that beautiful man/woman!" and move on, then we have not sinned.

You can feel anger, too, and not sin. Jesus got angry sometimes - think of Jesus clearing out the temple of the people selling things there. Ephesians 4:4 tells us "In your anger, do not sin" implying that you can be angry and sin, or be angry and not sin. There is righteous anger and there is destructive, sinful anger.

Again, a good spiritual director who is also your confessor is absolutely invaluable when you're struggling with what is sinful and what is not.

Don't be afraid. 1 John 5:18 tells us that perfect love casts out fear. Trust in God who loves you. You can't secure your own salvation. You're human and weak and flawed and if it were up to you (or me or anyone other than God) you would crash and burn. But it's not up to you. God wants you to be with Him and as long as that's what you want too, He'll see to it that it's done.

The road to Hell is wide because a lot of people just want things their own way. They would rather do it their way than God's way. They're the ones who trust in their own abilities and think they are wiser than God and its just not possible. St. Therese of Lisieux says in her little way that she used to try to do all things by herself, but then she realized that she just couldn't. So instead. she likened herself to a child who sat at the bottom of the stairs and cried. And God, being her gentle father, came and lifted her up to the top of the stairs and she didn't have to do a thing. Just let Him do all the heavy lifting and trust that He knows what's He's doing. Stop trying to do it yourself! You're only going to drive yourself crazy.
Thanks again, Pamela
Jul 29 new
Actually the idea of a good death is an old Catholic one - St. Joseph is the patron saint of happy deaths because tradition says he died about the happiest death any of us could imagine - in the arms of the Blessed Mother and Jesus.

I suspect what a "happy death" really means is that the terror of death, that unknown of what will happen next, won't be there. Many of the devotions of the Church like the consecration to the Sacred Heart through the 9 first Fridays or devotion to the Divine Mercy promise that that Jesus Himself will come and stand between us and God at our judgment to intercede for us. There are other stories of loved ones seeing the Blessed Mother or an angel at the time of their death that granted a sense of peace. Or just a loved one dying without the need for pain medications or peacefully in their sleep instead of passing away from the painful cancer they were suffering from.

It is again a confidence in the might and power of God against the forces of the unknown and evil that surround us. It's never a bad thing to offer up a prayer for a happy death, especially when we know that one's time is approaching. I've suggested that to many of my students when we pray together and they mention a relative or friend who is in hospice or the end stages of life, though of course we also pray for healing or whatever else God's will might be.
Posts 1 - 8 of 8