Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This is the place to post any questions about the way that CatholicMatch works or make suggestions. This room is open to both free and subscribing members.

Saint Anthony is the patron of lost things and missing persons.
Learn More:Saint Anthony

Don't know if this has been mentioned before? What's everyone's take on the "fingers crossed" emoticon? Isn't it superstitious in nature? I think so. Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks and God Bless biggrin
Aug 3rd 2013 new
I take "fingers crossed" as a nonverbal cue, like a thumbs up, to indicate a person's situation or attitude. If a person genuinely believes that the act of crossing one's fingers affects the outcome of a situation, then yes, it is superstitious. However, if a person crosses their fingers merely to emphasize their hope/anxiety/optimism, then it in no way contradicts Catholic teaching.

The origin of the gesture (I'm unaware of it) may have been superstitious, but like many things, has been diluted with time and popular use.

Here is a noncontroversial emoticon for you: goldfish I don't know what a goldfish is doing on the emoticon menu, but thereyago.
Aug 3rd 2013 new
(quote) Randall-315762 said: Don't know if this has been mentioned before? What's everyone's take on the "fingers crossed" emoticon? Isn't it superstitious in nature? I think so. Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks and God Bless
Relax. Don't worry about such finely sliced particles. It is just a symbol and usually here means a person is hoping for something.
Aug 3rd 2013 new
Crossed fingers actually was a 'secret' code for 'praying' or to let one Christian person tell another they were a Christian, back when they had to keep it hidden or face persecution.
Aug 3rd 2013 new
(quote) Rachel-731570 said: Crossed fingers actually was a 'secret' code for 'praying' or to let one Christian person tell another they were a Christian, back when they had to keep it hidden or face persecution.
scratchchin I did not know that!
Aug 3rd 2013 new
Crossed fingers (wikipedia)
To cross one's fingers is a hand gesture commonly used to to implore God for protection, as well as to wish for good luck. The gesture is referred to by the common expression "keeping one's fingers crossed" or just "fingers crossed" and has also been historically used in order to allow believers to recognize one another during times of persecution.

A negative connotation arose when some apparently used it to (internally) invalidate a forced (unjust) promise or vow. It was then generalized by children for use with any small lie, either hoping for luck that they'll not be asked to prove the lie, or in the hope of avoiding punishment. Perhaps popularized by TV?
tvtropes.org

(quote) Sharon-993783 said: I take "fingers crossed" as a nonverbal cue, like a thumbs up, to indicate a person's situation or attitude. If a person genuinely believes that the act of crossing one's fingers affects the outcome of a situation, then yes, it is superstitious. However, if a person crosses their fingers merely to emphasize their hope/anxiety/optimism, then it in no way contradicts Catholic teaching.

The origin of the gesture (I'm unaware of it) may have been superstitious, but like many things, has been diluted with time and popular use.

Here is a noncontroversial emoticon for you: I don't know what a goldfish is doing on the emoticon menu, but thereyago.
The fish is actually an ancient symbol for Christians. The Geek word Ichthus translates as "fish." It was also used as an anacronym for Jesus Christ God's Son Savior. The first Greek letters of each word spell Ichthus. Plus, with the disciples being largely fishermen we are all little fish in a very big pond. wink
Aug 7th 2013 new
(quote) Sharon-993783 said: I take "fingers crossed" as a nonverbal cue, like a thumbs up, to indicate a person's situation or attitude. If a person genuinely believes that the act of crossing one's fingers affects the outcome of a situation, then yes, it is superstitious. However, if a person crosses their fingers merely to emphasize their hope/anxiety/optimism, then it in no way contradicts Catholic teaching.

Here is a noncontroversial emoticon for you: I don't know what a goldfish is doing on the emoticon menu, but thereyago.
The fish is actually an ancient symbol for Christians. The Geek word Ichthus translates as "fish." It was also used as an anacronym for Jesus Christ God's Son Savior. The first Greek letters of each word spell Ichthus. Plus, with the disciples being largely fishermen we are all little fish in a very big pond. wink
Aug 7th 2013 new
I think this question has been sufficiently answered.
Posts 1 - 9 of 9