Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

So who's up for a little quiz? "The Love Language Profile for Singles will give you a thorough analysis of your emotional communication preference. It will single out your primary love language, what it means, and how you can use it to connect with those closest to you and effectively enhance the relationships in your life."
www.5lovelanguages.com

Aug 6th 2013 new
Gifts, but tied into acts of service, i.e. baked (pies, not cakes or cookies) gifts go over well with me. I can go for days with minimal communication (as long as I know my partner is alive), and quality time is only important with certain friends. . . words are not important to me at all but in writing, is how I convey how I feel.

Aug 6th 2013 new
I was told that the best way to determine which one you are is think of how you show love. That is usually how you expect to receive it. I love to give gifts and do things for people. I think mine thoughts change on this one. The first time I took this test a few months ago I was Physical Touch and and Acts of Service. Now when I take it I find that I'm a lot more Quality Time and Words of Affirmation. But I love to get Gifts!! Maybe I'm just well rounded in my neediness.. laughing

I was stuck on that one question.. do you prefer kisses or gifts.. what? I can't have them both?!?! tongue
Aug 6th 2013 new
Quality Time; Nothing says I love you, for me, like spending time together and really being there for the other person. It's how I show my love for someone. rose
Aug 6th 2013 new
I really need words of affection and affirmation. I like to give service as well as words. Gifts are terrific.

What a great question! I've really had to learn to pay attention to my kids' needs so they know they are loved.
Aug 6th 2013 new
I had a three way tie pretty much .
quality time ,
affirmation and touch. lol
Aug 6th 2013 new
Lynn, do those pies need to have homemade crusts, or is a high-quality store bought one ok? :-)
Aug 6th 2013 new
Interesting. biggrin

Physical touch hug followed right behind with a tie for quality time and acts of service,
Spending time together even doing regular things or helping each other means so much. lovestruck!
Aug 6th 2013 new
Interesting. biggrin

Physical touch hug followed right behind with a tie for quality time and acts of service,
Spending time together even doing regular things or helping each other means so much. lovestruck!
Aug 6th 2013 new
I first read and took this test back when the book first came out, many years ago. And a few times since then. Here are some observations that I think are extremely important to keep in perspective. I hope that some of you recognize the beyond the box thinking and the need to go beyond the limitations/shortcomings of this quiz.

The book and the quiz was originally written by Chapman (a protestant minister and licensed counselor, if my memory serves me correctly) for married couples who were experiencing major relationship difficulties within their non-Catholic marriage. As such, the quiz gives some insight into where one spouse is on one or more tracks of physical/material/behavioral need and the other is on a complete or categorical set of needs but still limited only to physical/material/behavioral or sensitive aspects. The book and quiz are limited in scope and completely ignore two other major categories (intellectual and spiritual). Imagine: two ships in a fog, passing by one another, neither being satisfied by the material world yet only looking for solutions within it. Thus it reveals and can be useful to attempt to remedy the disparity or lack of material or sensitive needs between the two spouses, but that is it. Of course, this is of some help only if BOTH still want to make the marriage work through that restricted means.

Make no mistake, this test completely overlooks the intellectual and the spiritual aspects that are also each an essential part of a sacramental marriage instituted by Christ.

2. For this quiz to be more effective, it also really requires one to have a partner in mind and also expand into the intellectual and spiritual realm, because it depends how the other treats you AND whether God is also involved. Without that being the case (three to get married), the never before married person. the divorced or annulled or the widow(er) may reveal some personal desires (vanities), but those may change once in a relationship, depending on the other person and the reception or rejection of either or both as to God's will, and what they offer and what they are not aware of. Vanity can be extremely dangerous to the body, mind and soul where God is on the sideline.

3. The results tend to shift between three persons based on material/sensitive actions or lack thereof over time, specifically due to that which is lacking most.

Communicating to your partner what you need is critical. Neither should expect the other to read their mind. Neither should walk. Neither should brush God's will aside.

The imbalance manifests itself when one or more types clearly dominates over the others.

With a person who has no partner, the quiz outcome tends to reflect the deep and still unfulfilled desire idealized or which in limited cases the other spouse left deficient or let go neglected and it remains an area of need or desire.

So that's my take on that quiz and the book.
Posts 1 - 10 of 36