Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Do you think it's important for a single person to take an active part in the events and programmes of their church community? Feel free to post your opinion! Thanks.:)
Aug 12th 2013 new
I think it's very important to give back to our church! I ama lector I have been Usher I've been a Eucharistic minister I've been Parish Council and then several committees. It's also a great way to meet new people! I love my church and want to do whatever I can to pay back.
Aug 12th 2013 new
Its is Important thats also what I teach my son he alter serve even this past saturday ,none of the alter servers showed up and the first to step forward . he fourteen . also received the Ad Altare Dei age thirteen , fourteen this past year the Pope Pius . Several other catholic award . I help as Eucharist Minister , Lector , Knights , Legion of Mary , prayer groups and run other church events . including My Movie Nights . Next one is "Molokai "movie on Father Damien .
Aug 12th 2013 new
It's not just serving your church! it's serving your community. We've got time, as single persons, that a lot of married and single parents do not have. I think we're supposed to use that time to serve our communities -- faith-based and otherwise. Giving of yourself is good practice for the selflessness required for a good marriage!
Aug 12th 2013 new
Yes I do especially for me since I don't have any real adult responsibilities outside of work I feel that it is important that I am involved and engaged. I believe this even though I actually haven't had the most fruitful experiences with trying to get involved especially in the protestant churches I used to attend. I'm a huge fan of the formation classes that are offered and try to support those as much as I can. As a single guy though I will say it can be a bit harder to really get connected. I think we have to put more effort into it.
Aug 12th 2013 new
I think its very important that we should all serve God in a church community. Even though I belong to a very small church close to no where, I still try to do what I can. I have organized spaghetti dinners, severed on the parish council and have been the director of the Family Life Committee. I've helped make websites and facebook pages to support our little church as well. I have even organized a Scottish Festival before!

The sad thing is, my church mostly consist of a much older generation. They have unfortunately smothered the youth. For the last 26 years i have been asking for a simple play ground for the kids. We had money, we had a place for it. But it was not "allowed" because the older generation didn't want the liability. Same reason we can't put up a basket ball goal or have a bus. These are the things that draw in and keep the youth but the older generation at my little church feel the youth should be there for the right reasons and not for the things we offer. I agree, but at the same time, think that the youth need to not be neglected. They will and have gone elsewhere.

It is very difficult for everyone to serve their church community. Like in my situation, there is only so much you can do without getting swatted back down. For the last few years, I just do whats asked of me. Very sad when you know so much more can be accomplished and you really feel the need and desire to serve.
Aug 12th 2013 new
I teach prep for special ed for a few years now...........
Aug 14th 2013 new
It may sound strange to say it, but I think I would have much more time to serve the church community if I were married and even have a family. I tend to work late nights and find it hard to do other things on top of having enough time at home for the basics of washing dishes, mowing the lawn, or anything else that needs to be done. For the most part I don't mind the late hours because I consider that my way if helping my coworkers have more time with their families, but if I were at least married I would not do late nights at work. I would rather spend time with my own family or activities outside of work including, among other things, being more involved with parish life. If I were to have the luxury of being a stay at home mom I would certainly be involved as much as I could.

That's not to say I haven't been involved in the past or at least tried to be. I was asked to be a mentor for a young adults group trying to be formed at my parish but that unfortunately never got off the ground. I do attend a book study, though, and try to make it to special gatherings and conferences. And I love decorating the church for Christmas!
Sep 10th 2013 new
(quote) Mary-976718 said: I think its very important that we should all serve God in a church community. Even though I belong to a very small church close to no where, I still try to do what I can. I have organized spaghetti dinners, severed on the parish council and have been the director of the Family Life Committee. I've helped make websites and facebook pages to support our little church as well. I have even organized a Scottish Festival before!

The sad thing is, my church mostly consist of a much older generation. They have unfortunately smothered the youth. For the last 26 years i have been asking for a simple play ground for the kids. We had money, we had a place for it. But it was not "allowed" because the older generation didn't want the liability. Same reason we can't put up a basket ball goal or have a bus. These are the things that draw in and keep the youth but the older generation at my little church feel the youth should be there for the right reasons and not for the things we offer. I agree, but at the same time, think that the youth need to not be neglected. They will and have gone elsewhere.

It is very difficult for everyone to serve their church community. Like in my situation, there is only so much you can do without getting swatted back down. For the last few years, I just do whats asked of me. Very sad when you know so much more can be accomplished and you really feel the need and desire to serve.
because our special group is such a minority........I am responding
specifically to the ''swatted down'' part........it is such an uphill battle
and I must rest/reflect often
Sep 11th 2013 new

Since our house is a walking distance from our church, at a very young age, been part of different organizations.. i joined drama guild, collector... i remember being teased because i joined all organizations except for Mother Butler and Catholic Women's League (am too young for that.. ). I become more active joining Charismatic and renewal activities... The last org was Singles for Christ, been there for almost 7 years....

Though.. i would say that am inactive due to work schedule and always preoccupied.. But, since i work in a church, still find time to pray the rosary, Angelus, attend recollections...Have plans to go back in Singles for Christ.. Its still different when you have a community wherein you can share your thoughts, offer prayers ... help others in a simple way...
Posts 1 - 10 of 10