Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

For example, Timothy, chap 2, 11-12:
"A woman must learn in silence and be completely submissive. I do not permit a woman to act as a teacher, or in any way to have authority over man; she must be quiet"

I sometimes agree with the above since a manager in engineering above me in my department is a woman and many times I don't think she has a clue as to what is going on and should keep her mouth shut....always.

Is what is written in the Bible truly the word of God? I'm sure that there are some truthful women teachers who do an excellent job in teaching children and adults.

Chapter 2, 13-15 may even be more disturbing to some as being the word of God.
Aug 13th 2013 new
(quote) Ronald-937125 said: For example, Timothy, chap 2, 11-12:
"A woman must learn in silence and be completely submissive. I do not permit a woman to act as a teacher, or in any way to have authority over man; she must be quiet"

I sometimes agree with the above since a manager in engineering above me in my department is a woman and many times I don't think she has a clue as to what is going on and should keep her mouth shut....always.

Is what is written in the Bible truly the word of God? I'm sure that there are some truthful women teachers who do an excellent job in teaching children and adults.

Although the Bible is the word of God, it is written by men guided by the Holy Spirit. As such,it is free from error in matters of faith and morals.

Being written by men at a point in time, it will reflect the ethos of the day. In the days when Paul wrote the letter to Timothy, women's place in society was a lot different than it is today. Although the Church, even at the time of the Apostles, was already giving women a more elevated place, still generally women did not play a role in public life.

In Jewry in those times women were not allowed to speak in the Temple or synagogs. They were hidden behind a screen during services and physically separated from the main body of the assembly. The job of teacher fell solely to the men of the tribe of Levi and to those men, not of that tribe, that devoted themselves to the study of the Scriptures and prayer. Although a Jewish women might be schooled in the Scriptures, they were not allowed to teach or hold any positions of authority in the Temple or a synagog.

Hence, passages like this, that to us appear contradictory to the rightful place of women in society, were nevertheless wholly consistent with the times. But has nothing to do with faith and morals and therefore, is not prot4cted from seeming error.
Aug 13th 2013 new
(quote) Ronald-937125 said: For example, Timothy, chap 2, 11-12:

I think that particular passage in scripture is referring to having women as teachers in Church. If you examine branches of Christianity or Judaism that permit it, they end up very weak.

In an Orthodox Jewish Synagogue, the wife of the Rabbi is considered to be the leader of the women of the synagogue. When I have heard about female rabbis at Reform Synagogues, her husband appears to be somewhat absent.
Aug 25th 2013 new
(quote) Paul-866591 said: Although the Bible is the word of God, it is written by men guided by the Holy Spirit. As such,it is free from error in matters of faith and morals.

Being written by men at a point in time, it will reflect the ethos of the day. In the days when Paul wrote the letter to Timothy, women's place in society was a lot different than it is today. Although the Church, even at the time of the Apostles, was already giving women a more elevated place, still generally women did not play a role in public life.

In Jewry in those times women were not allowed to speak in the Temple or synagogs. They were hidden behind a screen during services and physically separated from the main body of the assembly. The job of teacher fell solely to the men of the tribe of Levi and to those men, not of that tribe, that devoted themselves to the study of the Scriptures and prayer. Although a Jewish women might be schooled in the Scriptures, they were not allowed to teach or hold any positions of authority in the Temple or a synagog.

Hence, passages like this, that to us appear contradictory to the rightful place of women in society, were nevertheless wholly consistent with the times. But has nothing to do with faith and morals and therefore, is not prot4cted from seeming error.
Some things have been changed in the last 50 years concerning the way men and women worship in the church. In 1Corinthians, 11, "any woman who prays with her head uncovered brings shame upon her head".
There seem to be inconsistencies in some of Paul's writings; that's why some experts believe that parts of Paul's writings have been added in the second century when the New Testament was put together.
Posts 1 - 4 of 4