Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

error: Post not found!

error: Forum not initialized properly! Please check the link and try again.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Aug 14th 2013 new
(quote) Josephine-586127 said:
Thanks for the "virtual account numbers" info. I don't bank with citibank, but I will open up an account with them if my bank doesn't offer this service.

I'm sorry you had that experience last week. I do prefer to skype at least once before a f2f so I can avoid just that situation. If they refuse it's also a kind of red flag. Skype is free, and if I can do it, anyone can. You can create an account without revealing your personal information.

Right on, Josephine! I am so thankful that Skype is 'out there' - and it really is easy.
Aug 14th 2013 new
(quote) Laura-857740 said: Hi everyone, can someone explain why a person would choose not to put a picture on their profile, on a dating website? Many men and women have stated that there must be an attraction. Seems only fair to place a picture on your profile then. When I don't see one, the first things I feel are: 1. They must be very unattractive (according to their own self analysis), 2. Their hiding something...like they're really not divorced yet and they don't want to be seen by people who may recognize them. I do not buy into the fact you need to get to know my personality first, instead of judging me for my looks. Dating does not work that way...when you see someone for the first time, it is the initial attraction that brings you over to them and begin a conversation with them. I have talked with several men without profiles and have gotten along well with them, but once I finally see a picture, I find that I am not attracted to them. Attraction cannot be manufactured, it's there to its not. (With a few exceptions I'm sure). So why not have a profile picture? What's your thoughts?
I agree 100% ... in fact, "someone's" pictures catch me wishing I was closer to OH, or she closer to WA ...
Aug 14th 2013 new
I am also of the understanding (and it may well be wrong) that the profile picture is public, whereas the additional pictures are not.

This would mean that the persons additional pictures can ONLY be seen be CM members, whereas the profile picture is accessible to anyone who happens to visit CatholicMatch.com, and as such could end up in search engines.

So I have seen quite a few profiles that have no profile photo, but do have additional photos on their profile. They are ok being searched for and seen within the CM environment, but might prefer to be hidden from the rest of the world.
Aug 14th 2013 new
(quote) Dave-976637 said: Keep in mind that some credit card companies such as Citibank provide the ability for its members to use "virtual account numbers" that are generated on a per basis need. It will generate a number, exp date, and code for you for one time use, or multiple uses within a very short expiration window if you would like.

This can save you the often $5 service fee from buying a visa or amex gift card, and you get the security of it not being your real account number. There is the down side of all of the other pitfalls of credit cards, but if you're credit card provider already provides the virtual account number feature - it is something you may find useful.

As far as the no picture in their profile, if it shows up in a "match" i assume it is because they are a new user and want to check out the site before people check them out so to say. I mark the match as uncertain - assuming they might update the profile in a week or so - if not i just mark the match as a no.

If it is in a search as opposed to a match, well I set the profile/pictures option so no profiles without a picture show up in the search results.

Keep in mind, as i witnessed last week face to face, just because they have a picture does not mean it is current. The one I met - i would say the picture was taken about 10 years ago. Thankfully the person I was attempting to meet had a name tag on because with her one foot in front of me I could not recognize her from her photo that she posted here. I took it as an immediate "red flag" as people like to term it i guess, spent onlky a few minutes meeting the person, politely offered to allow her to get back to her work, and went my separate way.

Have not figured out a polite way as of yet to stop the person from messaging me each day since the face to face though last week.
I have also experienced this situation where the photo posted on the website proves to be quite old (at least ten years). Sometimes it is easy to find out because of the age but this is not always straightforward, especially when the photos are not in high definition. I find this kind of behaviour completely absurd because the first meeting (either on Skype on face to face) will reveal the ruse and create disapointment as well as raise questions on the honesty of the person involved. However, one has also to bear in mind that some people do look different on photos from how they are in reality and this even if the photos are fairly recent.
Aug 14th 2013 new
(quote) Xavier-985270 said: I have also experienced this situation where the photo posted on the website proves to be quite old (at least ten years). Sometimes it is easy to find out because of the age but this is not always straightforward, especially when the photos are not in high definition. I find this kind of behaviour completely absurd because the first meeting (either on Skype on face to face) will reveal the ruse and create disapointment as well as raise questions on the honesty of the person involved. However, one has also to bear in mind that some people do look different on photos from how they are in reality and this even if the photos are fairly recent.
I met several men in their 60's in 2012, NONE of them had a current picture!--found out upon meeting!

One admitted the pic was from 1999.

Another of course, was of himself at sons wedding, so how many years ago was that? I did not recognize him at ALL!

Yet another guy CLAIMED to be 5'8" same height as my self, but funny I had to look down to him ,"IF" he was 5'5" he was lucky! His picture was either of his SON or was at least 20 yrs old! ( by the way he is now listed as 5'9" HA!

One said he was 6'4" and 210.......was that with one foot one the scale? He was at least 350 and could barely walk, I was beginning to wonder if my mother could out run him on her walker ( she is 94).

* Now mind you all these men claim to be fit ,athletic and go to the gym 4/5 times a week, Wow does rehabitition therapy count???
Aug 14th 2013 new
By the way EACH of the men had NO problem recognizing me!

You are what you are ,so why purposely misrepresent?
Aug 14th 2013 new
(quote) Barbara-740721 said: I met several men in their 60's in 2012, NONE of them had a current picture!--found out upon meeting!

One admitted the pic was from 1999.

Another of course, was of himself at sons wedding, so how many years ago was that? I did not recognize him at ALL!

Yet another guy CLAIMED to be 5'8" same height as my self, but funny I had to look down to him ,"IF" he was 5'5" he was lucky! His picture was either of his SON or was at least 20 yrs old! ( by the way he is now listed as 5'9" HA!

One said he was 6'4" and 210.......was that with one foot one the scale? He was at least 350 and could barely walk, I was beginning to wonder if my mother could out run him on her walker ( she is 94).

* Now mind you all these men claim to be fit ,athletic and go to the gym 4/5 times a week, Wow does rehabitition therapy count???
laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing
Aug 14th 2013 new
(quote) Dave-976637 said: I am also of the understanding (and it may well be wrong) that the profile picture is public, whereas the additional pictures are not.

This would mean that the persons additional pictures can ONLY be seen be CM members, whereas the profile picture is accessible to anyone who happens to visit CatholicMatch.com, and as such could end up in search engines.

So I have seen quite a few profiles that have no profile photo, but do have additional photos on their profile. They are ok being searched for and seen within the CM environment, but might prefer to be hidden from the rest of the world.
This should be a concern of everyone!

If true, it would kinda make sense to exclude a profile pic... and include additional pics, although I read this thread as referring to profiles with no pictures at all.

Staff? ... Might you address this? ARE we visible to Google?

The CM Privacy statement generally satisfies me as far as explicit actions by CM - else I would not have joined; but it doesn't address "exposure". It would be nice to know where we stand. I think it would be a very attractive point for those considering membership, and comforting to the rest of us.

Best regards to Staff and All.

Aug 14th 2013 new
(quote) David-870960 said: This should be a concern of everyone!

If true, it would kinda make sense to exclude a profile pic... and include additional pics, although I read this thread as referring to profiles with no pictures at all.

Staff? ... Might you address this? ARE we visible to Google?

The CM Privacy statement generally satisfies me as far as explicit actions by CM - else I would not have joined; but it doesn't address "exposure". It would be nice to know where we stand. I think it would be a very attractive point for those considering membership, and comforting to the rest of us.

Best regards to Staff and All.

Yes, I would like admin to address this also.

Aug 14th 2013 new
(quote) Barbara-740721 said: walk, I was beginning to wonder if my mother could out run him on her walker ( she is 94).

Bad Barbara laughing laughing laughing

Posts 11 - 20 of 89