Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Am I the only one whose mother calls and talks for for.ev.er so you can't get things done... but has figured out how to things anyhow ... like fold a whole load of towels, napkins, washcloths, etc, one-handed like I just did?? When my 6 children were small, I learned to tie their shoes one-handed while nursing or holding the newest baby. What other feats have you been able to master out of necessity in your life? Isn't it great?
Aug 15th 2013 new
(quote) Rachel-731570 said: like fold a whole load of towels, napkins, washcloths, etc, one-handed like I just did??
Just a suggestion: a speakerphone might be much easier! lil mikie

Aug 15th 2013 new
(quote) Rachel-731570 said: Am I the only one whose mother calls and talks for for.ev.er so you can't get things done... but has figured out how to things anyhow ... like fold a whole load of towels, napkins, washcloths, etc, one-handed like I just did?? When my 6 children were small, I learned to tie their shoes one-handed while nursing or holding the newest baby. What other feats have you been able to master out of necessity in your life? Isn't it great?
Rachel, when your mother is no longer able to converse, or no longer on this earth, you will miss those phone calls more than you ever imagined. Enjoy them while you can. My mother does not call and when I call her she doesn't remember who I am. I miss our long conversations more than anything in the world sad
Aug 15th 2013 new
Mom still calls and I stop what I'm doing. I do miss chatting with my dad though
Aug 15th 2013 new
I can't stop doing everything for 45 to 120 minutes every time my mom calls. She calls often. And mostly to just vent her frustrations and complain about her job, the other 'kids' and that they don't do what she wants them to, and to tell me what to do. She and my dad are still trying to control me and my siblings,even though the youngest of us is 47. But they are my parents so I listen, I honor them, I let them call and tell me what to do, which roads I should take instead of my favorite, usual routes, what jobs and friends I should have, who I should avoid instead of be friendly to at church because she never liked that family, which pharmacy I should go to because she doesn't like the grandfather of the woman working at my usual one, how I should serve my pasta even though I like it a different way, along with many useful and helpful things too. Some things I obey, many things I let go in one ear out and out the other.
I love my parents and living only a couple miles apart, and being able to call back and forth often, see them every couple days or week, celebrate special days together, etc. but ... I am an adult, busy with my 6 kids, and can't just sit and listen when they call.

The point of my post was not to complain about my parents, but to ask what cool tricks others have come up with to not be trapped unable to finish making cookies, serving dinner, cleaning the house, caring for children, getting yardwork done, etc, etc, etc when a call comes at an inopportune time or some other interruption happens.
Jerry -- I love the idea of a speaker phone, but I'm often moving about the house while I'm on the phone. A headset would work, but not with my current phone system -- 5 phones throughout the house, so expensive to replace.
Aug 15th 2013 new
(quote) Joan-529855 said: Rachel, when your mother is no longer able to converse, or no longer on this earth, you will miss those phone calls more than you ever imagined. Enjoy them while you can. My mother does not call and when I call her she doesn't remember who I am. I miss our long conversations more than anything in the world
Ditto, but please don't see this as a guilt-fest... My mother is long gone, but she was one of the only adults in my young life that ever sat me down and opened up with me about anything... I only wish she could've "been honest" about her cancer, I had to watch her suffer knowing/not-knowing and too afraid to ask. My Dad also kept his heart condition hidden... thankfully his last, "Yeah, Good Night Dave." clearly indicated his love and pride ... just wish it wasn't also so heavy with "Good-bye"

My sister can talk for two hours without taking a breath, but she lives seven hours away, she is my "closest" living relative. My next younger brother can tell a brake job story in under three hours; he lives just over an hour away; he's a long-hauler, so I don't see him much. My youngest brother can stretch out an adultery accusation for at least 30 minutes - to him I'm guilty for making or having ANY female contacts, however far away, before I'm Free to Marry... but I'll call him just to hear a family voice when my sons are away, and my sister is out of cell range, and I wish I could talk or just listen to my Mom or Dad. I've mostly just learned to listen ... and often pray I could hear.

I pray you strength, Rachel; and God Bless you for demonstrating your love for your Mom, persevering as you listen, and accomplishing what you might. And if you ever feel you'd like to just talk to someone - however long, we could arrange that. Praying hug
Aug 15th 2013 new
Sorry, "missed" your 9.32 post ... the challenge of session refresh laughing

Aug 15th 2013 new
Depends on who I'm talking to.... There is one friend of mine that I have been known to fall asleep while talking to her because I can't get a word in to tell her I need to go to bed. She usually figures it out when she says something and I don't respond. I usually talk to people while I'm driving (Bad, I know, but I use a blue-tooth headset) My BFF knows that I will call her Tues around 10pm her time on my way to pick up my son. It's nice to know that no matter what happens, we always will talk at least once a week. If I'm home, I just keep on doing whatever I was doing before they called.

I'm not a big fan of speaker phone. Too much distraction in the background and I find it's hard to hear depending on how far away someone is from the phone
Aug 15th 2013 new
Rachel - if the headset sounds like it may work for you, incorporating it into the existing system would not require a replacement of your existing system. It would simply compliment the system you already have.

Some of the cordless phone systems that have come out over the years also have a headphone/mic jack built in to the handset. - though not common - just not sure if you have checked the handsets that you have to see if it appears to have a whole where a set of headphones can be plugged in.

Yet another option would be to utilize the speaker phone capability of the phone wearing a strap like a sash the belt clip can clip on to - or using Velcro between the phone and the strap if there are no belt clips that came with the phone. Or even a pocket on the strap to slip the phone into.

Just the ability to talk on the phone while doing something else - without sounding aggravated because the phone is slipping from your ear at the time can be a blessing. You know you had the situation under control the whole time - but now the party on the other end does not hear the aggravations and begins to wonder how you are so capable of tackling so many tasks simultaneously :)

Just a couple of ideas - hope one might sound feasible.
And if I can provide any further details on any of the options presented above - please do not hesitate to ask. Though I have not had to be the one to juggle the kids - I learned a lot from my mother growing up about multitasking - although from what i can see you have a leg up on her skills in various areas already.
Aug 16th 2013 new
(quote) Rachel-731570 said: I can't stop doing everything for 45 to 120 minutes every time my mom calls. She calls often. And mostly to just vent her frustrations and complain about her job, the other 'kids' and that they don't do what she wants them to, and to tell me what to do. She and my dad are still trying to control me and my siblings,even though the youngest of us is 47. But they are my parents so I listen, I honor them, I let them call and tell me what to do, which roads I should take instead of my favorite, usual routes, what jobs and friends I should have, who I should avoid instead of be friendly to at church because she never liked that family, which pharmacy I should go to because she doesn't like the grandfather of the woman working at my usual one, how I should serve my pasta even though I like it a different way, along with many useful and helpful things too. Some things I obey, many things I let go in one ear out and out the other.
I love my parents and living only a couple miles apart, and being able to call back and forth often, see them every couple days or week, celebrate special days together, etc. but ... I am an adult, busy with my 6 kids, and can't just sit and listen when they call.

The point of my post was not to complain about my parents, but to ask what cool tricks others have come up with to not be trapped unable to finish making cookies, serving dinner, cleaning the house, caring for children, getting yardwork done, etc, etc, etc when a call comes at an inopportune time or some other interruption happens.
Jerry -- I love the idea of a speaker phone, but I'm often moving about the house while I'm on the phone. A headset would work, but not with my current phone system -- 5 phones throughout the house, so expensive to replace.
Sorry I let a previous post distract me from your original. I have screened calls from my mom when I knew she'd be call
Posts 1 - 10 of 12