Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

I invite you to read the following article, and recommend you try and keep your blood from boiling.

cnsnews.com

Now, I ask: would it threaten our sainthood or cause scandal if we obtained the sacrament of marriage, but not a legal marriage license? Do we render unto Caesar what is Caesar's? There are difficult times ahead of us.
Aug 17th 2013 new
A priest could be jailed for doing this, so won't. i even had a priest deny the ability for someone and myself to get married because they didn't have a SSN because of that. As Catholics, we have to also follow the laws of the land. It is also stated by priests i know, that for an older couple to get divorced but still live together because of the financial benefit of it in today's tax and social security laws, would be immoral.

Having a small business on the side however, allows for tax write-offs to the extent that legally and morally many things can be written off to make ends meet. Remember, those of us who live in America are presently here because this country was built with small businesses, farms, and ranches. It's what has always worked, the only difference is that now a store-front is less cost-effective or efficient than it used to be so the business must be done from your own home and property to work well.
Aug 24th 2013 new
Hmmm... I've actually thought of this scenario before. I'm not 100% sure but think it could be moral to sentimentally be married but not legally. I mean, if the government is stealing our money, especially for funding immoral causes such as abortion, don't we have a right to stand up to it? On the other hand if the laws are just, but if they are not just then the founding fathers would support our actions to defy them, would they not? But as far as prosecution goes....maybe we should't defy the law for our own well-being. Hmmm.... what an issue.
Aug 24th 2013 new
oops, sorry not sentimentally, sacrimentally stupid spell-check :)
Aug 25th 2013 new
I've thought about it, just because I wouldn't want the stupid license if two guys or gals could just as well sign up for one. Means nothing to me. Waste of time and money.
Aug 25th 2013 new
(quote) Bradley-266389 said: I invite you to read the following article, and recommend you try and keep your blood from boiling.

http://cnsnews.com/commentary/terence-p-jeffrey/single-mom-pays-8173-obamacare-penalty-marriage-license

Now, I ask: would it threaten our sainthood or cause scandal if we obtained the sacrament of marriage, but not a legal marriage license? Do we render unto Caesar what is Caesar's? There are difficult times ahead of us.
I, personally, don't see how it would be immoral to minister the sacrament of matrimony, all things considered, in the USA without obtaining a marriage license. I know that at least in this area, priests will not preside over the wedding if there is no civil marriage certificate, but that doesn't make it immoral per se to preside without one.
Aug 25th 2013 new
(quote) Bradley-266389 said: I invite you to read the following article, and recommend you try and keep your blood from boiling.

http://cnsnews.com/commentary/terence-p-jeffrey/single-mom-pays-8173-obamacare-penalty-marriage-license

Aside from any issues of morality/immorality, in my opinion, the lack of a marriage license could have potentially profound impacts on the lives of the couple and their children. Some things to consider:

> If one person in the couple dies, the standard inheritance laws (of marriage) probably wouldn't apply.
> If one person in the couple is incapacitated, the other person could probably not automatically make medical decisions for the other person.
> Social Security benefits would not apply in the same way as a legally married couple.
> Military pension and regular business/government pensions would probably not apply to a couple without a marriage license.
> Social Security benefits to surviving minor children would probably not apply to a couple without a marriage license.
> It is likely illegal for a couple to represent themselves as "married" if they don't have a marriage license. If this were done in the wrong circumstance (e.g. signing a tax form or other official government document), it may be a felony (perjury) and could land a person in prison or at least subject to a very hefty fine.

Those are just some things that I can think of at the moment.

Just my thoughts.

Ed

Aug 25th 2013 new
(quote) Chelsea-743484 said: I, personally, don't see how it would be immoral to minister the sacrament of matrimony, all things considered, in the USA without obtaining a marriage license. I know that at least in this area, priests will not preside over the wedding if there is no civil marriage certificate, but that doesn't make it immoral per se to preside without one.
If it is illegal to do so, it would be immoral as a violation of the 4th commandment.

Aug 25th 2013 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: If it is illegal to do so, it would be immoral as a violation of the 4th commandment.

I don't disagree with you in principle.
Aug 25th 2013 new
(quote) Andy-896770 said:  if the government is stealing our money, especially for funding immoral causes such as abortion, don't we have a right to stand up to it? 
Yes, we have a right and obligation to stand up to it. This is what the Fortnight for Freedom rallies were about last year (and this year).

This is what our Catholic Church has been leading her flock to do: Stand Up for Religious Liberties.

This is what faithful Catholics were called to do last fall in the voting booth.....stand up for our religious freedoms by voting against the HHS Mandate (which is causing ALL kinds of problems, and it's just beginning).

How'd we do ("standing up to it") so far, especially last fall in the voting booth?

Terribly. That's how. Many Catholics either didn't show up and vote, or voted for a non-contender (and thus the vote didn't matter in that the election was really about two major candidates) or they voted FOR shocked a very anti-scriptural candidate who wrote a health plan that is attacking our Church.

We're reaping what what was sown (last fall) by our vote, or our non-vote. Or, for those of us who stood with our Church with our vote, but kept our heads in the sand and didn't actively campaign to get other Catholics to follow our Church's leadings, well, here we sit. Reaping what was sown by our complacency.

But, on the other hand, God often keeps us in the fire to help burn out the impurities. So, God allowed this man to stay in office so more of us could feel the heat. So more of us would pay attention to what is happening in our country. God is allowing us to see the direction a country will head if it's not on His path. God is the author of life. We either live our lives by His way, or reap the consequences.

I feel God is using our choices to bring more of us back to Him. It's never been about who would be the best (short-term) candidate, it was always about eternal consequences. God felt the current POTUS would serve His purpose best....by giving us more of what we voted for....which would lead more of us to feel the sting of our choices, which was voting (either directly or indirectly) into leadership a man who is very much against God's word.

It's sort of like God saying, "Can you hear Me now?" (My response is no, not enough of us have been woken up, so expect things in America is get much, much worse. God is jealous to win back ALL of us, so He'll let it get really bad for us all, to get back that one lost sheep).

Posts 1 - 10 of 10