Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Religious Fanatic

Aug 20th 2013 new
In your opinion, what's the difference between someone who is living close to their faith and a religious fanatic?
Aug 20th 2013 new
I believe if you LIVE your faith you are doing God's will and that is never fanaticism. being a fanatic is someone who blasts their faith in everyone's faces and ignores life's responsibilities so they can go off and pray. Our Lord does not want us to be scrupulous. for this is the sin of pride. it's pretty obvious to most but this is where a deep and authentic prayer life come in and the gift of discernment is much needed. just my opinion. :)
Aug 20th 2013 new
Great answer!
Aug 21st 2013 new
They called Jesus a 'fanatic', so I guess if you are called one, you are in good company!
Aug 21st 2013 new
A religious fanatic is someone who is more serious about his faith than me, to the point that it makes me uncomfortable. That is frequently how the label is used.

I was once called a religious fanatic at work behind my back. A friend let me know. I gave her my definition and asked if she thought Mother Teresa would call me a religious fanatic. She agreed MT would not give me that label because I was less serious about my faith than her.

The label "religious fanatic" says things about the accuser as well as the accused. Its a subjective label.

To me, someone might be fanatical if his actions were not reasonable. If a person demanded practices in excess of what the Church teaches without good reason, that might be an example of fanaticism. For example, I believe in chastity and accept the Church's teaching that artificial birth control is sinful. However, some people believe that deliberate periodic abstinence (NFP) is also inherently sinful. That might be fanaticism.

Funny story--I was with a friend outside of an abortion clinic. He was trying to get the attention of people in the parking lot, who were quite far from us, and had to raise his voice. He then turned to me and said, "I hate having to yell into the parking lot. I sound like a fanatic."

I responded, "Its 6:30 in the morning. You're standing in front of an abortions clinic....You are a fanatic."

Good question

Bob

Aug 21st 2013 new
(quote) Bernadette-990279 said: In your opinion, what's the difference between someone who is living close to their faith and a religious fanatic?
A fanatic:

1) tramples on the dignity of another person (whether they know it or not).
2) cares not for the emotional or knowledge state of another
3) is so convinced that they are right, they do not see their own sins
4) sees others who do not believe as they do (or cannot be convinced in that moment) as beneath them or not worthy.
5) uses the Gospel and our Catholic Faith to judge
6) loves themselves and those who believe as they do

A person living close to their faith:

1) chooses their words carefully to instruct, enlighten and not condemn
2) does not speak over the head of another, but also lives by example
3) is humble, seeing their own shortcomings and making an effort to grow in holiness
4) sees others who do not believe as they do, as a work in progress (hopeful)
5) uses the Gospel and our Catholic Faith to give hope and encouragement
6) loves others and those who do not believe as they do
Aug 21st 2013 new
(quote) Elizabeth-726465 said: I believe if you LIVE your faith you are doing God's will and that is never fanaticism. being a fanatic is someone who blasts their faith in everyone's faces and ignores life's responsibilities so they can go off and pray. Our Lord does not want us to be scrupulous. for this is the sin of pride. it's pretty obvious to most but this is where a deep and authentic prayer life come in and the gift of discernment is much needed. just my opinion. :)
Fanatics are ego-driven. People of genuine deep faith yield their will to God's will.

Fanatics seek to impose their will (which they cannot distinguish from God's will) on others. People of genuine deep faith seek to discern and follow God's will for them and to love others, bringing them to the faith more by example than by brow-beating and censure.

Fanatics are close-minded and intolerant and believe they alone know what is right for others. People of genuine deep faith are tolerant, open-minded, and compassionate; They don't condone sinful behavior but neither do they berate others who live that way.
Aug 21st 2013 new
(quote) Joanna-615441 said: A fanatic:

4) sees others who do not believe as they do (or cannot be convinced in that moment) as beneath them or not worthy.

3) is humble, seeing their own shortcomings and making an effort to grow in holiness
Yeah. What Joanna said. if I'd have seen her reply, I wouldn't have wasted time on my own. She said it perfectly.
rose
Aug 22nd 2013 new
I'm impressed! You each gave such well thought out responses. It' s great to be in your company! You're a fabulous group of sound Catholics.
Aug 23rd 2013 new
(quote) Joanna-615441 said: A fanatic:

Joanna, from this old "work in progress," beautifully stated. theheart
Posts 1 - 10 of 18