Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Thomas Kempis...

Aug 21st 2013 new
... reminding us to conform our desires to those of God. For 600+ years. biggrin

"My son, says our Savior Christ, you should speak thus in everything you desire: Lord, if it be Your will, be it done as I ask, and if it be Your praise, let it be fulfilled in Your name. And if You see that it is good and profitable to me, give me grace to use it to Your honor; if You know it to be hurtful to me, and not profitable to the health of my soul, then take away from me such desire."

... and...

"If I [God] am the cause and goal you will be well content, whatever I do with you. But if anything of your own will remains in your heart, it is that which hinders you. Take care, therefore, not to lean too much toward your own desire without My counsel, lest, perhaps, what first pleased you bring you regret and displeasure in the end. Every affection and desire of man's heart that seems good and holy is not at once to be followed, nor is every unattractive affection or desire quickly to be refused."

The Imitation of Christ. Constantly reminds me of the way to contentment! I just wanted to share these two passages. biggrin
Aug 21st 2013 new
(quote) Christine-894237 said: ... reminding us to conform our desires to those of God. For 600+ years.

"My son, says our Savior Christ, you should speak thus in everything you desire: Lord, if it be Your will, be it done as I ask, and if it be Your praise, let it be fulfilled in Your name. And if You see that it is good and profitable to me, give me grace to use it to Your honor; if You know it to be hurtful to me, and not profitable to the health of my soul, then take away from me such desire."

... and...

"If I [God] am the cause and goal you will be well content, whatever I do with you. But if anything of your own will remains in your heart, it is that which hinders you. Take care, therefore, not to lean too much toward your own desire without My counsel, lest, perhaps, what first pleased you bring you regret and displeasure in the end. Every affection and desire of man's heart that seems good and holy is not at once to be followed, nor is every unattractive affection or desire quickly to be refused."

The Imitation of Christ. Constantly reminds me of the way to contentment! I just wanted to share these two passages.
the book is 2 feet from me in my top drawer here
Aug 21st 2013 new
Christine the "Imitation of Christ" is on my bedroom night table and I have actually read it more than the Bible. In dire times in my life, I pray to Jesus to help me and open the book to find a perfect quote to calm my troubled soul.
Aug 21st 2013 new
We must all think alike, because it is on my bedside table as well!
Aug 22nd 2013 new
Thank you Christine, I needed to read this tonight! I also love this book and it is on my headboard :) I do think I will get off the computer and read it now before turning in. Good night all and God bless you! Therese
Posts 1 - 5 of 5