Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

error: Forum not initialized properly! Please check the link and try again.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

So I have noticed that some people have photos that are unflattering for their profile photo. Leaving aside simple bad photography (or lack of access to a good photo) there is still the question of "why aren't they smiling?"
I am not saying that I feel that this makes them an unappealing person, only I am confused as to why a person would put up a photo (as their profile photo) that makes them look upset (or other less flattering emotions). Then, when I have looked through some of their photos (if they have more) often times I find that they have other pictures that are much kinder and they look so much more 'smiley' and happy.
So I guess my question is... Do you think that a profile picture should be given extra consideration?
*side note* I am in no way trying to sound judgemental, I am only trying to see if others share my appreciation of fine photography.
Aug 22 new
(quote) Angela-965276 said: So I have noticed that some people have photos that are unflattering for their profile photo. Leaving aside simple bad photography (or lack of access to a good photo) there is still the question of "why aren't they smiling?"
I am not saying that I feel that this makes them an unappealing person, only I am confused as to why a person would put up a photo (as their profile photo) that makes them look upset (or other less flattering emotions). Then, when I have looked through some of their photos (if they have more) often times I find that they have other pictures that are much kinder and they look so much more 'smiley' and happy.
So I guess my question is... Do you think that a profile picture should be given extra consideration?
*side note* I am in no way trying to sound judgemental, I am only trying to see if others share my appreciation of fine photography.
my guess is lack of access to good photo
Aug 22 new
Respondeo dicendum traditionalists never smile irked

I also don't have pics of me smiling, and if I ever try take selfies of me smiling I feel twice as lame. It's also a running joke in my family that's now kinda a part of me; since I was a kid I'd purposefully frown in photos to annoy my mom. I haven't grown up yet thanks be to God.

Aug 22 new
(quote) Tom-975374 said: Respondeo dicendum traditionalists never smile

I also don't have pics of me smiling, and if I ever try take selfies of me smiling I feel twice as lame. It's also a running joke in my family that's now kinda a part of me; since I was a kid I'd purposefully frown in photos to annoy my mom. I haven't grown up yet thanks be to God.

You have a very good picture, despite the lack of smile. wink You seem to be one of the few exceptions. I agree with the "self portrait" part. I was blessed to have a friend who took a multitude of photos of me so I had some to choose from, and I know none of my attempts to take one of me would have turned out as clean.
Aug 22 new

I wonder if people put too much emphasis on profile pictures. I for one do not like any of my profile pictures that I have had on this site. I have been told that pictures don`t capture the "essence of Leah". Not completely sure what my co-worker meant, but it made me wonder, if we have an unattractive profile picture or pictures who do not capture the essence of ourselves, are we doomed to fail at online dating?

Aug 22 new
(quote) Leah-964356 said:

I wonder if people put too much emphasis on profile pictures. I for one do not like any of my profile pictures that I have had on this site. I have been told that pictures don`t capture the "essence of Leah". Not completely sure what my co-worker meant, but it made me wonder, if we have an unattractive profile picture or pictures who do not capture the essence of ourselves, are we doomed to fail at online dating?

I think you look amazing in your picture. You're right though that pictures don't really capture the essence of a person. I think it just helps the process of getting to know a person. I hardly think we are doomed if it is a bad one, or if there is none at all, but it helps build the bonds of trust.

Aug 22 new
In all honesty, I don't smile. Maybe if I'm laugh or am petting an animal, but not when I'm having some machine stuck in my face. Or pretty much any other time. Any picture where I've tried to do so I end up looking crazy (and not even a crazy smile) instead of merely stern. So be it.
Aug 22 new
Is there still no edit button? 'Maybe if I'm laughing.'
Aug 22 new
I tend to view my relationship to cameras attempting to capture an image of me as something of a battle of wits. Unfortunately, it's one the cameras tend to win. I'm never quite sure who that odd guy is who keeps popping up in photos that I thought were supposed to be of me!

As a result, I'm very sympathetic to folks whose pictures are less than the most inspiring. I picked a profile photo that I thought was about the best I had, but others haven't liked it much even if they find my visage itself not so very unappealing and recommended that I switch it for photos I thought were not nearly as good and had placed in my album.

So at the end of the day, it's different strokes for different folks. If my computer had a better camera, I might have just put up a selfie of me staring at my laptop. At some level, I want my profile to represent how I see myself and since I see myself in the mirror, and the laptop camera sort of acts like a mirror, that is the image I am most used to [I think there's a name in psychology for this phenomenon although it slips my mind at the moment].
Aug 22 new
What makes a person pick up a Book.... an interesting Cover or Title, right? scratchchin Praying
Posts 1 - 10 of 56