Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Aug 24th 2013 new
C'mon.. somebody's got to be able to add more to this Topic.. where's Peter the Photographer?? biggrin scratchchin
Aug 24th 2013 new
(quote) Dave-146273 said: What makes a person pick up a Book.... an interesting Cover or Title, right?
Sometimes it is not the cover or title at all but on the recommendation of a friend where you pick it up sight unseen - even to seek it out because it was recommended so highly. I would imagine there are many people here who could benefit by a recommendation from another friend that they have met here on CM.Word of mouth is often the best type of advertisement.
Aug 24th 2013 new
(quote) Dave-976637 said: Sometimes it is not the cover or title at all but on the recommendation of a friend where you pick it up sight unseen - even to seek it out because it was recommended so highly. I would imagine there are many people here who could benefit by a recommendation from another friend that they have met here on CM.Word of mouth is often the best type of advertisement.
Great answer.. and very true. smile 2Thumbs up.
Aug 24th 2013 new
(quote) Dave-976637 said: Sometimes it is not the cover or title at all but on the recommendation of a friend where you pick it up sight unseen - even to seek it out because it was recommended so highly. I would imagine there are many people here who could benefit by a recommendation from another friend that they have met here on CM.Word of mouth is often the best type of advertisement.
Great networking Dave!

Preferably, i feel that a list of the latest books, seminars and/or classes, movies, radio, and television would be more useful to have a good profile of than the pic since what goes in must come out. eyebrow

The prettier the pic, the less likely i am to think he's "real" since character only has a slight bit to do with a man/woman,'s character. Thus, a Ken doll type pic is not going to interest me half as much (or at all) as a list of favorite literature, etc . . .
Aug 24th 2013 new
(quote) Angela-965276 said: So I have noticed that some people have photos that are unflattering for their profile photo. Leaving aside simple bad photography (or lack of access to a good photo) there is still the question of "why aren't they smiling?"
I am not saying that I feel that this makes them an unappealing person, only I am confused as to why a person would put up a photo (as their profile photo) that makes them look upset (or other less flattering emotions). Then, when I have looked through some of their photos (if they have more) often times I find that they have other pictures that are much kinder and they look so much more 'smiley' and happy.
So I guess my question is... Do you think that a profile picture should be given extra consideration?
*side note* I am in no way trying to sound judgemental, I am only trying to see if others share my appreciation of fine photography.
Angela, your picture is very flattering, so this is not directed toward you. I recently retired after 47 years working mostly in the photographic and digital imaging industry, so a little advice from an old geezer to some of the folks out there~
Avoid taking cell phone or computer camera "selfies." They are too close resulting in wide angle distortion of facial features and unless taken outdoors, the flash often washes out the detail and natural contours of the face. Have a close friend or family member take several dozen images of you because your expressions will be more relaxed and natural, as opposed to a stranger taking them. Take them outdoors on a cloudy or overcast day~ the soft overhead lighting is much more flattering. Be conscious of a distracting background, and take full length and more closeup head and shoulders. Avoid bright sun (no sunglasses!), because you will be squinting, and if facing away from the sun your face will be in a shadow. You don't need an expensive camera as long as you follow these basic directions. Again, NO selfies, NO bright sun, NO sunglasses, NO flash.
As Dave commented here, "What makes a person pick up a Book.... an interesting Cover or Title, right?" You want someone scrolling through profiles to stop and open yours. In photojournalism this is called "Visual Impact in Print."
Aug 24th 2013 new
(quote) Dave-146273 said: C'mon.. somebody's got to be able to add more to this Topic.. where's Peter the Photographer??
Sorry I'm late Dave, I was grocery shopping! See above ^
Aug 24th 2013 new
(quote) Dave-146273 said: What makes a person pick up a Book.... an interesting Cover or Title, right?
True enough, but then again there always is that adage "You can't judge a book by its cover"...
Aug 24th 2013 new
Dear Angela,

Well yes, of course, more attention should be paid to the profile photo (yours is charming!). I hasten to add, I wouldn't be careless regarding any photos posted. To me, it's kind of like a resume or c.v., in that we try to make everything absolutely perfect for its purpose. Best foot forward, and all that. Extra pictures get extra points, because they can add delightful information about your family and interests.

For my part, I made an appointment for my son and me at a studio, and let the professionals take over. I'm very happy with the results. Not too expensive, considering we are talking about attracting a mate for life, I think.

Finally, and I don't want to sound like a scold, but for those who post no photo, you get no response from me, sorry. And if you post a photo, make it your best, and if you don't have a best (and I didn't - I mean, how good can iPhone pictures be, really?), consider a professional. They will bring out your best, and that's what you want, isn't it?

Thank you Angela for a great question.

Oilers or Flames? Cordially yours, from your fan of the Red Wings, Doug

Aug 24th 2013 new
(quote) Suzanne-818266 said: True enough, but then again there always is that adage "You can't judge a book by its cover"...
You know what they say about "adages" right.. they're like Onions.... wait that's a different saying.. laughing laughing laughing biggrin Praying
Aug 24th 2013 new
(quote) Dave-146273 said: You know what they say about "adages" right.. they're like Onions.... wait that's a different saying..
Thanks for the humor!! I'll return the favor with a little bit of trivia regarding the original adage I quoted. Did you know the French have a more religious-inspired proverb for expressing the same basic sentiment? "L'habit ne fait pas le moine" Literally, "Clothing doesn't make the monk." I know, I know, my reply to your post is a little random but maybe not so much, at least it's a propos for a site like CM...

Blessings
Posts 11 - 20 of 56