Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

The means of salvation

Aug 25th 2013 new
Today's Gospel reading is one that causes me to once again question how some Protestants arrived at "grace alone"or solo gratia when the reading for today is:
Lord, will only a few people be saved?
He answered them,
Strive to enter through the narrow gate,
for many, I tell you, will attempt to enter
but will not be strong enough.
After the master of the house has arisen and locked the door,
then will you stand outside knocking and saying,
Lord, open the door for us.

Key word here is: strive.
What is implied is that we have our part to do in getting into heaven.
Does anyone else have insight into this?

Thanks

Aug 25th 2013 new
The priest at the mass I went to today suggested that those who hear the Gospels fall into two general categories. the first is those who hear and try to apply what they heard to their life, and those who don't. Those who don't may expect access, but likely denied. If one tries to go through a narrow door/gate (and most Hebrew towns had at least one) with excess "personal" baggage, one would not fit. The gate generally was not meant for cattle, caravans and the like, but just persons. The excess baggage of a caravan would prohibit passage through a narrow passageway.
Aug 25th 2013 new
I paid attention this am at mass also and came away feeling more unholy than ever......

.......will give this considerably more prayer time.........
Aug 25th 2013 new
The Gospel today was Luke 13:22-30:

22 And he went through the cities and towns teaching, and making his journey to Jerusalem.

23 And a certain man said to him: Lord, are they few that are saved? But he said to them:

24 *Strive to enter by the narrow gate: for many, I say to you, shall seek to enter, and shall not be able.

25 *But when the master of the house shall be gone in, and shall shut the door, you shall begin to stand without, and knock at the door, saying: Lord, open to us: and he answering, shall say to you: I know you not whence you are.

26 Then you shall begin to say: We have eaten and drunk in thy presence, and thou hast taught in our streets.

27 And he shall say to you: *I know you not whence you are: **depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity.

28 There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth: when you shall see Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, and all the prophets, in the kingdom of God, and you yourselves thrust out.

29 And there shall come from the east, and the west, and the north, and the south, and shall sit down in the kingdom of God.

30 *And behold they are last who shall be first, and they are first who shall be last.

Here is the commentary from Haydock on these (reformatted for legibility and emphasis added, but not otherwise edited):

haydock1859.tripod.com

Ver. 24. Shall seek, &c.

Shall desire to be saved; but for want of taking sufficient pains, and not being thoroughly in earnest, shall not attain to it. (Challoner)

Our Lord answers here in the affirmative: viz. that the number of those who are saved, is very small, for a few only can enter by the narrow gate. Therefore does he say, according to St. Matthew, (Chap. vii.) Narrow is the way that leadeth to life, and few there are that enter therein. This does not contradict what is said in the 8th chapter of St. Matthew: That many shall come from the east, and sit down in the kingdom of God; for many indeed shall join the blessed company of the angels, but when considered with the number of the slain, they will appear but few. (St. Augustine, serm. xxxii. de Verb. Dei.)

Ver. 25. When the Almighty casts any off, he is said not to know them: in the same manner as a lover of truth may be said not to know how to tell a falsehood, being withheld powerfully from it by his love of truth. (St. Gregory, mor. chap. 8.)

Ver. 26. These words are addressed particularly to the Jews, because Christ was born of them according to the flesh, eat and drank with them, and taught publicly in their streets; but they apply to us Christians also, for we eat the body of Christ, and drink his blood, when each day we approach the mystical table, and we hear him teaching us in the streets of our souls. (Theophylactus)

Many very fervent at the beginning afterwards grow lukewarm; and many, though at first frozen, have suddenly glowed with virtue; many, who in this world were contemned, have received glory in the next; while others, in honour amongst men, have passed to eternal torments. (Ven. Bede)

Aug 25th 2013 new
(quote) Susan-857876 said: I paid attention this am at mass also and came away feeling more unholy than ever......

... and feeling like we're toast come Judgement Day
Aug 25th 2013 new
(quote) Sara-979131 said: Today's Gospel reading is one that causes me to once again question how some Protestants arrived at "grace alone"or solo gratia when the reading for today is:
He answered them,

Thanks

Yes ,we must strive to be perfect.Of course we will never achieve it in this life.Everything else is Gods grace,without which we can do nothing.

Definition of STRIVE

: to devote serious effort or energy : endeavor <strive to finish a project>
: to struggle in opposition : contend
Aug 25th 2013 new
I believe we can compare it to training for a marathon. We must have self-discipline, 'exercise' daily, be committed and ready to sacrifice to achieve our goal ~ in this instance, salvation. Just showing up for Mass or performing basic prayers just isn't going to make the cut. We must strive heroically, day in and day out, to seek and live out God's Will in our lives.
Aug 25th 2013 new
(quote) Sara-979131 said: Today's Gospel reading is one that causes me to once again question how some Protestants arrived at "grace alone"or solo gratia when the reading for today is:
He answered them,

Thanks

We have to contend with a lot of temptations and challenges in life and faith. The teachings of Jesus will lead us to the Way, the Truth and the Life. Outside and against Jesus Word, salvation cannot be attained, no matter how many or few will be saved.
Posts 1 - 8 of 8