Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people 45+. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

The story of Abraham and Sarah is told in chapters 11-25 of the book of Genesis.
Learn More:Abraham & Sarah

Praying for death

Aug 27 new
Sounds morbid, doesn't it. I'm posting this here because most of us, at this point in life, have had or will soon be having to deal with the death of our parents. Here's my question:

Do you think it's awful to pray for God to take someone soon if that person is suffering?

My dad has bone cancer, skin cancer, heart disease and Alzheimer's. He just had surgery for a sarcoma on his leg. They have to sedate him or he pulls out his IV (which he's done all his life, so at least that's not Alzheimer's related!), which makes him unable to manipulate eating utensils.

This is a tough one for me. Dad was always superman to my family, and it is SO difficult to see him losing ground and being sad and bewildered by what's happening to him. He was a fireman, a hero, and always had an incredibly strong aversion to being physically weak. His pain tolerance is pretty great, so we don't even always know when his heart isn't working well.

I could use some input right now. I know the church teachings on euthanasia, so please, friends, no lectures on the subject. smile
Aug 27 new
Hi Brigid:

So sorry to hear about the suffering that your Dad is going through. Both of my parents are deceased , and I know how hard it is to see someone that you love suffer so much. Just pray and ask God that if it is His will that he lets your Dad go in his sleep without any pain. I will keep you in my prayers.
Aug 27 new
Thank you, Maria. smile
Aug 27 new
Bridgid,

I am sorry to hear that your dad is ailing and suffering. Both of my parents have passed and thankfully, neither of them had to deal with Alzheimer's or dementia. My dad passed due to pulmonary fibrosis and mother because of a worn out pacemaker battery she refused to have replaced. Both bore the cross of urinary incontinence though.

He may not be able to understand this considering his mental disease, but the best suggestion I have heard on the subject is to offer the suffering up for the Holy souls in purgatory. Bear the pain by offering it up for the absolution of sins. Some have said this was how the Blessed John Paul bore his suffering, and other than the passion of our Lord, we cannot ask for a better example of how to bear suffering and to offer it up for the healing of others.

You might also ask for the intercession of Father Emil Kapaun, if not for a cure then for help with dad's suffering. Father Kapaun's story is worth learning about; you can learn more at http://www.frkapaun.org as his canonization is being by the Vatican right now.

May God bless you in your time of trial. I will be adding you and your dad to my nightly prayers that "...Your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven."

Jerry
Aug 27 new
(quote) Bridgid-151982 said: Sounds morbid, doesn't it. I'm posting this here because most of us, at this point in life, have had or will soon be having to deal with the death of our parents. Here's my question:

Do you think it's awful to pray for God to take someone soon if that person is suffering?

My dad has bone cancer, skin cancer, heart disease and Alzheimer's. He just had surgery for a sarcoma on his leg. They have to sedate him or he pulls out his IV (which he's done all his life, so at least that's not Alzheimer's related!), which makes him unable to manipulate eating utensils.

This is a tough one for me. Dad was always superman to my family, and it is SO difficult to see him losing ground and being sad and bewildered by what's happening to him. He was a fireman, a hero, and always had an incredibly strong aversion to being physically weak. His pain tolerance is pretty great, so we don't even always know when his heart isn't working well.

I could use some input right now. I know the church teachings on euthanasia, so please, friends, no lectures on the subject.
Praying Praying Praying hug theheart All i can say i more or less (know) what your going throuh; Its tough to see your parents suffer; (be sick) in any way; Hard to see them inpain; Hes your Dad; But idon't see nothing wrong; If you say to the Good Lord; "Its ok Lord" Call him home; don't want to see anymore suffering to Dad; probably one of the toughest prayer/ request you (and you family) ever made in your life; But yeah i don't know you or your dad but knowing him he might (maybe) say (please) Let me go home to the Good Lord; Something like that; My thoughts & prayers are with ya & your family Take care of your health too Mike "Peace"!!
Aug 27 new
To pray for the end of someone's suffering or pain is not wrong. When a person is actively dying, it is only humane to alleviate pain and anxiety associated with poor perfusion as much as possible. When we understand what is going on in the body, we can provide the physical & medical support as needed. The Catholic Church recognizes the benefits of Hospice care. Let us remember that our intention in prayer is for pain relief, knowing death will happen with or without such relief.
Aug 27 new
My prayers for your family. I have been a widow for a short time, but witnessed by husband who was 20 years my senior suffer off and on from kidney and liver failure and other complications. His faith along with our prayer life sustained us as we prepared fir his journey to Heaven. At the end it was painful for him, but hospice home help us along. He was able to leave comfortable surrounded by his family and friends with the dignity he deserved. Only five years ago lost my dad to cancer, he also died at hospice home. Only God prepares them and us for what lies ahead. May you find His comfort during this time.
Aug 28 new
Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions and prayers. This is one of the things that makes CM worthwhile - the loving support of Catholic friends. You will all be in my prayers, as well.
Aug 28 new
Bridgid ~ my thoughts and prayers go out to you. I prayed to God to either cure my husband or take him, that he could not live like that anymore. He suffered greatly his entire life. I loved him so much, I wanted him to be at peace. He was taken home to Heaven. My priest said to me afterward, that, God had in fact, answered my prayers. Praying theheart hug hug hug hug
Aug 28 new
Bridgid, I understand how you feel. I cared for my mom for ten years while she suffered progressive dementia. She had been a very proud woman and very concerned about her public actions and appearance. I watched her decline into incontinence and multiple falls that resulted in five fractures in five years. The day we took her to the assisted living facility it was heartbreaking because she didn't understand why she couldn't go home. She died three years ago after two broken hips in four months. Those years were so sad and difficult for our whole family. I will pray for your family that you may find peace in all the suffering. As our priest often says - "offer it up".
Posts 1 - 10 of 34