Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Spurge Here...Save There..

Aug 31st 2013 new
I think MOST people have things they will splurge on...other things they will do without.
How about you? What's your splurg? What do you save on?

I might save on fancy dinners out and $11 dollar tickets at the movies...but have no problem dropping some big cash on Italian shoes. You?
Aug 31st 2013 new
Laura - I agree totally. I rarely go to movies, spend very little on clothes (love garage sales), drive a 1999 compact car and get inexpensive haircuts. On the other hand, I love gourmet coffee beans, things for my home and I have a dog with expensive medical needs. Being thrifty is saving on things that aren't important to you and having the means to pay for what is important. I can also afford to contribute to those church-based charities that mean the most to me.
Aug 31st 2013 new
I always find myself having to spending money for things/tools that i need around the house or yard..and i try to find stuff on Sale whenever i can.. but if it comes to buying a new Tennis racquet or my Bike..well that may be a diff story. biggrin
Aug 31st 2013 new
I have never bought makeup. I use coupons and save wherever I can in groceries and household items. I am a very careful shopper with clothes. I buy very high quality sheets & towels at rock bottom prices. And I am a tablecloth queen! I love tablecloths! I can't get enough! I have them for every occasion. And delight in setting a fine table!
Aug 31st 2013 new
I splurge on travel -- taking the trip at all, I mean. During the trip I usually travel as cheaply as possible (camping, eating cracker & cheese).
Aug 31st 2013 new
Byzantine Icon art supplies. I love the pigments that are hard to find and expensive. I don't buy a lot of clothes or shoes. I'm a very careful and thoughtful shopper, but don't let me loose in an art store!
Aug 31st 2013 new
I enjoy concerts. If there is someone I like in town, I'll buy a ticket - occasionally up close. Even the high seats are pricey. As long as I get to go, I'm happy.

I agree that travel is a good thing to splurge on. It creates memories. (Some co-workers wanted me to share a room with them in Vegas - 4 to a small room!). I declined and splurged on my own room. It was worth it. wink
Sep 5th 2013 new
I spend almost nothing on clothing, shop at thrift stores for work clothes and things that wear out. Try to keep the grocery bill at a minimum. Rarely go to the movies. Don't have cable. I do spend too much at the local coffee shop. Occasionally buy gizmos or old furniture at the thrift store that I don't really need. Waste some gas on exploring the city or drives in the country.
When it comes down to it, I'm not stingy or afraid to spend money on a special occasion, but I try to live within my means.
Sep 9th 2013 new
I buy almost everything resale and save 75% most of the time on clothes and furniture. I just bought a Northface Pullover today with the tags still on it at the resale shop for $12 it would have cost me at least $58 new from the store. I bought a desk new with the tags still on it for $79 that is still on the target website for $140. I spurge on kayaks. I paid quiet a bit for a kayak I bought at THe Alpine shop a few months back. It evens out in the end I guess.
Sep 14th 2013 new
I'm not big on stuff, but I love new experiences. Folks always seem surprised how much my kids and I travel. We usually do so fairly inexpensively; we're more tent or cabin than Bellagio Las Vegas, but we have made it from Washington D.C to Yellowstone.

I love live music and can hardly wait until the kids are old enough to attend concerts.

We also spend money on live shows. My kids love theater, probably because I do. When something comes through Omaha that they might like, I scrounge some tickets. We also have season tickets to the Children's theater here in town, so that's a number of guaranteed experiences. Stomp! http://www.stomponline.com is here tonight and I am debating buying tickets even though the washer just went out. We'll see if fiscal responsibility or fun wins. scratchchin

Posts 1 - 10 of 22