Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This is the place to post any questions about the way that CatholicMatch works or make suggestions. This room is open to both free and subscribing members.

Saint Anthony is the patron of lost things and missing persons.
Learn More:Saint Anthony

This has been bugging me for a long time, I think it has the effect of connotatively diminishing other liturgical forms which are no less valid, such as the Traditional Latin Mass, and has the effect of suggesting that traditional Catholics are extremists. I also believe that the latter should be changed to "Extraordinary Form" of the Mass, since among practicing Catholic circles, the term"Traditional Latin Mass" carries a lot of ultratraditionalist baggage.

For example, I have to note in my profile that, although I love the "Traditional Latin Mass," I'm not a sedevacantist; I'm as much a believer in Vatican II as any other orthodox Catholic. Also, since the promulgation of Summorum Pontificum "Extraordinary Form" is an official designation of the Church, having phased out the anachronous usage of the term "Tridentine Rite," since it is virtually the only Latin liturgical form still celebrated.

If the CM staff think that these changes would make the liturgical forms more ambiguous to new members trying to select their preferred form, I would welcome them to place CM's former designations in parentheses, like so:

Liturgical Preference
Extraordinary Form (Traditional Latin Mass)

-and/or-

Liturgical Preference
Novus Ordo (Normal Sunday Mass)

Or even better, distinguish them simply on their qualitative difference, the language of the liturgy:

Liturgical Preference
Extraordinary Form (Latin Mass)

-and/or-

Liturgical Preference
Novus Ordo (Vernacular Mass)

Should I even hold my breath on this, though?
Sep 3rd 2013 new
No.
Sep 4th 2013 new
(quote) Devan-877827 said: This has been bugging me for a long time, I think it has the effect of connotatively diminishing other liturgical forms which are no less valid, such as the Traditional Latin Mass, and has the effect of suggesting that traditional Catholics are extremists. I also believe that the latter should be changed to "Extraordinary Form" of the Mass, since among practicing Catholic circles, the term"Traditional Latin Mass" carries a lot of ultratraditionalist baggage.

For example, I have to note in my profile that, although I love the "Traditional Latin Mass," I'm not a sedevacantist; I'm as much a believer in Vatican II as any other orthodox Catholic. Also, since the promulgation of Summorum Pontificum "Extraordinary Form" is an official designation of the Church, having phased out the anachronous usage of the term "Tridentine Rite," since it is virtually the only Latin liturgical form still celebrated.

If the CM staff think that these changes would make the liturgical forms more ambiguous to new members trying to select their preferred form, I would welcome them to place CM's former designations in parentheses, like so:

Liturgical Preference
Extraordinary Form (Traditional Latin Mass)

-and/or-

Liturgical Preference
Novus Ordo (Normal Sunday Mass)

Or even better, distinguish them simply on their qualitative difference, the language of the liturgy:

Liturgical Preference
Extraordinary Form (Latin Mass)

-and/or-

Liturgical Preference
Novus Ordo (Vernacular Mass)

Should I even hold my breath on this, though?
I suspect the phrase "Normal Sunday Mass" was used for the benefit of those who aren't familiar with the term "Novus Ordo" (the wording of these questions pre-dates Summorum Pontificum by several years).

I like your suggestion. My only suggestion is to use the term "Ordinary Form" instead of "Novus Ordo"; the latter can be placed in the parenthesis after "Normal Sunday Mass", if desired.
Sep 4th 2013 new
Correction: I think the revised designation of the liturgical preference currently designated as
Normal Sunday Mass should read:

Liturgical Preference
Novus Ordo (Ordinary Sunday Mass)

-or-

Liturgical Preference
Novus Ordo (Ordinary Form)

since it is the Ordinary Form, after all. Even people who aren't acquainted with the term Ordinary Form would just as likely assume that it means the most common, ordinary form of Roman rite Mass celebrated, the Novus Ordo.
Sep 4th 2013 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: I suspect the phrase "Normal Sunday Mass" was used for the benefit of those who aren't familiar with the term "Novus Ordo" (the wording of these questions pre-dates Summorum Pontificum by several years).

I like your suggestion. My only suggestion is to use the term "Ordinary Form" instead of "Novus Ordo"; the latter can be placed in the parenthesis after "Normal Sunday Mass", if desired.
biggrin Jerry, that's so funny! I was typing that revision before I read yours.
Sep 5th 2013 new
We always want to be accurate and using more precise terms is usually a good thing however in this case it is likely to cause more confusion than it is worth. We have used these terms almost as long as CM has been around and while that is not a reason alone not to change something it has to be pretty compelling. Catholics of all striped generally understand what we mean when we use the phrases we do vs. terms like ordinary from or extraordinary form. If you think that anyone there is an attempt to diminish any legitimate form of the mass especially the extraordinary form then you ought to look at my photos and think twice.
Sep 5th 2013 new
(quote) Brian-278516 said: We always want to be accurate and using more precise terms is usually a good thing however in this case it is likely to cause more confusion than it is worth. We have used these terms almost as long as CM has been around and while that is not a reason alone not to change something it has to be pretty compelling. Catholics of all striped generally understand what we mean when we use the phrases we do vs. terms like ordinary from or extraordinary form. If you think that anyone there is an attempt to diminish any legitimate form of the mass especially the extraordinary form then you ought to look at my photos and think twice.
I don't think the original poster was suggesting that the terminology was chosen with the intent of down-playing the legitimacy of the traditional Mass and other forms of the liturgy, but rather that it might be perceived that way by new members. Whether this is a legitimate concern (i.e,. have a significant number of people interpreted the wording that way), I don't know.

Sep 5th 2013 new
I agree about the word "normal." It has too many connotations that suggest that anything else is wacky-- in other words, it colors the alternatives in a perjorative way. For what it's worth, I selected "Latin Novus Ordo" even though such things are almost as rare as a three-dollar bill, because that is probably what the council Fathers of Vatican II intended that we should have had based upon what the documents of the Council actually said, and I have found that such a thing actually would be my preference if it existed in any meaningful way. Why not change it simply to "Ordinary Form" or possibly "Ordinary Form (Vernacular)" and leave it at that? But "Latin Novus Ordo" or "Novus Ordo in Latin" should remain as a choice for those like me who want to express displeasure with the Novus Ordo as it is currently practiced but aren't ready to freeze the calendar in 1962 either-- the sadly neglected and unfortunately lonely center of the Church.
Sep 5th 2013 new
I don't see how anyone can understand the meaning of an essentially meaningless term such as "normal." Trust me, "normal" in one parish can be a world apart from "normal" in another parish, and "normal" at two different Masses in the same parish can even be separated by a great chasm. "Normal" can change just because a new priest comes into the parish. Having been to Mass at well over 700 different parishes over the last 14 years, I guarantee that no one could define "normal" in any meaningful way when applied to the members of an international web site such as this. That term bothered me from day one too, but I just never got around to explaining why. When another member says that she prefers a "normal" Sunday mass, all I know is that she probably is not a traditionalist-- but for someone who attends the extraordinary form every week, even that could be considered "normal" for her.
Sep 5th 2013 new
I don't care if it's changed or not, just please don't change 'Traditional Latin Mass' to 'extraordinary form.' It'll just rankle some of the old hardliners, including me. No point in stirring up something if it's not absolutely necessary. But as far 'Normal' or 'Ordinary' or 'Novus Ordo' go I don't have much of an opinion.
Posts 1 - 10 of 15