Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Aug 23rd 2013 new
(quote) Tom-112790 said: .God recognizes the positives that people do. And many great sinners do countless loving/kind acts as well and thru these actions show their love for God --
That's what I think many on this board do not comprehend.
Yes,we do comprehend that Tom.It must be in context to what the Church teaches though.
Aug 23rd 2013 new
(quote) Kenny-949632 said:

I thought that I was pretty comfortable spiritually until I joined CM.....I have read many forums and I feel that I'm just doomed to Hell.....
There seems to be so many rules that are possible to break and some people seem so fanatically condensending in the way they preach of fire and Hell ....

I'm pretty old and most of my life is behind me...I am scrupulous very often especially now being a widower and not having my wife to balance my scrupulous patterns...

I guess the narrow path means few go to Heaven,,and the wide path means Hell...

It can be pretty scarey....Very SCAREY.....I don't think that I'm good enough for God to let me into Heaven...I wouldn't let me into Heaven,,why would God...??

Is it meant to be so impossible ???
Remember, a thief (St. Dismas) who was crucified next to Our Lord was promised Paradise when he asked Christ to remember him when Jesus entered into His Kingdom. Remember, Jesus praised a "heathen" in the parable of the Good Samaritan . Remember, Our Lord tells us that the last shall be first, and the first shall be last in the Parable of the Vineyard Workers. Remember, the Prodigal Son who was welcomed home by his tearful father with joy and celebration who countered his other son's misgivings by telling him, "But it was appropriate to celebrate and be glad, for this, your brother, was dead, and is alive again. He was lost, and is found."

Good thing Christ makes the decisions, isn't it?

Aug 23rd 2013 new
(quote) John-146319 said: Remember, a thief (St. Dismas) who was crucified next to Our Lord was promised Paradise when he asked Christ to remember him when Jesus entered into His Kingdom. Remember, Jesus praised a "heathen" in the parable of the Good Samaritan . Remember, Our Lord tells us that the last shall be first, and the first shall be last in the Parable of the Vineyard Workers. Remember, the Prodigal Son who was welcomed home by his tearful father with joy and celebration who countered his other son's misgivings by telling him, "But it was appropriate to celebrate and be glad, for this, your brother, was dead, and is alive again. He was lost, and is found."

Good thing Christ makes the decisions, isn't it?

What did all of these sinners have in common, other than being sinners?

Aug 24th 2013 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: What did all of these sinners have in common, other than being sinners?

That there are no sins so severe, so evil, that God will not forgive them.
Save one. Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.
Therefore, I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven people, but blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. And whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven; but whoever speaks against the holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come. Matthew 12: 31-32

Aug 25th 2013 new
(quote) Bernard-2709 said: Yes,we do comprehend that Tom.It must be in context to what the Church teaches though.
all good actions,,all loving action is in context with what the church teaches
Aug 29th 2013 new
As it is Jesus died on the cross to save us from our sins and open the gates of Heaven for us. Jesus saved us from the eternal punishment of Hell. angel However we must always confess our sins and do virtuous things.
Sep 5th 2013 new
(quote) Sandra-202758 said: Read Romans 5 through 8.
4 short chapters from St. Paul which will restore your faith in Christ and how much God loves you.

Within these four chapters, you will find these nuggets of truth:
Romans 5:1
Therefore, since we have been made right in Gods sight by faith, we have peace with God because of what Jesus Christ our Lord has done for us.

Romans 5:8
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

Romans 8:1
So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus.

Romans 8:38-39
And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from Gods love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrownot even the powers of hell can separate us from Gods love. No power in the sky above or in the earth belowindeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord.

And that is why we see the crucifix whenever we enter our church.
While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
+JMJ+

Sandra,

St. Paul meant that nothing outside of ourselves could separate ourselves from God. If St. Paul meant NOTHING in the sense of even our own mortal sins, well, that would have made him a liar, wouldn't it? St. Paul told us that we ought to be careful that we discern the Body of Christ before receiving Him in Holy Communion, lest we bring condemnation on our own souls. That's separation from God for eternity, is it not?

St. Paul took it further by reminding us our Lord's teaching that we must do penace less we perish.
Here's some analysis on it by the great theologian Fr. Garrigou-LaGrange :

www.christianperfection.info

Sep 5th 2013 new
(quote) Tom-112790 said: .God recognizes the positives that people do. And many great sinners do countless loving/kind acts as well and thru these actions show their love for God --
That's what I think many on this board do not comprehend.
Yes, that is called merit, not grace. But no good done outside of supernatural grace pleases God. This is a teaching of the Church.

So as the Catechism says, mortal sin separates one from God. God doesn't barter, in this sense, "oh, well, you've done a lot of good... let me see this list, you gave to the poor, tithed at church, etc.etc, ... we'll let these sins against the 6th and 7th commandments go for now." His principle mercy is shown to us in this life that we may repent and choose obedience to Him.
Sep 5th 2013 new
Anyone who says that they love God and have not contrition and truly repent from their sins (inc., avoiding temptation when possible and it is an unnecessary near occasion of that thing that tempts you), then they are liars.

We've all heard that before, haven't we? It ought to sound familiar.
Posts 151 - 159 of 159