Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

No tv

Sep 9th 2013 new
Is it just me, or is it being really strange when women post" no tv never." I am the first to agree that most tv is just junk, but I also find great shows on The History Channel, National Geo. and even once in a while on PBS, so why would someone dismiss the good with the bad? I think that is a bit radicial.

Bill
Sep 9th 2013 new
Fox News is good.....well most of it....O'Reilly, Shep, The Five, Meghan Kelly and some others from there.

Also, you can find great movies on TV too.

I think people are being affected negatively by all the propaganda.
Sep 9th 2013 new
I always get a kick out of it when I read the "no TV ever" in somebody's profile, and then I see them constantly online. rolling eyes ... is the second one really better than the other? laughing
Sep 9th 2013 new
I agree TV has a lot of junk on it. But it does seem strange as it is such a great communication tool, and some things can be valuable....EWTN perhaps? ( I love HGTV, News, History and some good movies from time to time).....oh, and Hallmark channel always gives me hope that I will trip over my true love in the parking lot and all will be well in the world! tongue heart

It almost like saying I have a phone but never use it! ...very strange in this day and age.

Personally, I have the TV or radio on more than I should, although am not frequently 'watching' intently. It's more for the company.
Sep 9th 2013 new
(quote) Michael-76823 said: I always get a kick out of it when I read the "no TV ever" in somebody's profile, and then I see them constantly online. ... is the second one really better than the other?
guilty of both............a doctor friend told me to leave my pc on......no doubt
''my way'' was not what she meant..............we had no tv while my kids were young except what
was smuggled in via bunny ears.............I too am extremely fond of some
historical and hysterical offerings
Sep 9th 2013 new
TV is a one-way medium. One cannot influence it-- it can only influence the watcher, probably for the worse. I find that the commercials-- which can appear at any time on any program-- can be the most disgusting part of it. At least one can interact with a computer and hopefully help steer others in the right direction. I shut off the TV years ago and really don't regret it. The only way I would ever rear children is the no-TV route, which unfortunately has limited my choice of spouses severely over the last two decades, but I am firmly convinced that it is the only sensible way to go. In fact at this point, I find TV so utterly deplorable that I usually can't stand being in the same room with one that is on. Even though my chances of having children are remote at my age, I still need to find a lady who agrees that TV isn't worth the trouble. I certainly would never pay for cable TV and help subsidize those who are producing trash. As I said many years ago, Newton Minow described TV as "a vast wasteland" in the early 1960's and it went downhill from there. The few diamonds in the sewer aren't worth the trouble.
Sep 9th 2013 new
(quote) Michael-76823 said: I always get a kick out of it when I read the "no TV ever" in somebody's profile, and then I see them constantly online. ... is the second one really better than the other?
Michael,

I'm not trying to be adversarial here but being on CM is not the same thing as having leisure time in front of a television set. A person here is taking steps to meet someone else, whereas the same cannot be said for watching television. If the person is on a news site (and not interacting with others on that site), then you can compare the two.

Cheers,

William
Sep 9th 2013 new
(quote) William-607613 said: Michael,

I'm not trying to be adversarial here but being on CM is not the same thing as having leisure time in front of a television set. A person here is taking steps to meet someone else, whereas the same cannot be said for watching television. If the person is on a news site (and not interacting with others on that site), then you can compare the two.

Cheers,

William
What channel on the tele has non-biased news?

Is the television the only means of finding worthwhile entertainment? I think television is unnecessary, and I prefer not to have one.
Sep 9th 2013 new
Pardon me, but I almost feel I have to do this...

"I used to think that I should watch TV
I used to think that it was good for me
Wanted to know what folks were thinking
To understand the land I live in
And I would lose myself
And it would set me free

This is the place where common people go
A global franchise; one department store
Yes, there were many awkward moments
I had to do some self-atonement
Well, if I opened up
Well, it would set me free

I know, I like
Behold and love this giant
Big soul, big lips
That's me and I am this
Everybody is a touched up hairdo
Everybody's in the passing lane
Had a reason that she touched all channels
The weird things that live in there"

--- David Byrne

Actually, that's just part of the song. The song is basically about how people are attracted to tv as an escapism, and they actually think that they NEED it to understand life and the world they live in. In reality, however, this escapism INDOCTRINATES people via the media, and all that garbage of distraction just makes people all the more separated from one another, making it harder to empathize and understand each other. Everyone is on an escapism high, and it is taking more and more perversions to keep that high going.

Sorry, it's just not for me.

Sep 9th 2013 new
Bill,,

i seem to like some of the same shows you mentioned.. NatGeo, Hist, and PBS, along with Tennis channel..and TBS or TNT when they're broadcasting Basketball. I seldom watch the news or anything else.. so i do sometimes catch myself wondering why i'm spending the money i am for Cable/Sat... and the way i justify it is if i learn something or get enough enjoyment from any of these shows then it makes the cost worthwhile.. just my .02 biggrin
Posts 1 - 10 of 77