Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This is the place to post any questions about the way that CatholicMatch works or make suggestions. This room is open to both free and subscribing members.

Saint Anthony is the patron of lost things and missing persons.
Learn More:Saint Anthony

Are the forums to be used only for people who agree on issues? I was just wondering, thank you.

I would hate to be singled out or shunned because I wasn't black or white on a particular issue or because I inserted my opinion on something.

Sometimes it is really hard to be in the position of an outsider looking in.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

God Bless everyone here and the whole world. theheart rosary Praying wink
Sep 10th 2013 new
Hi Michelle. I haven't ever seen or felt that anyone shuns anyone. But depending on the topic and what you say about it, people might hold you accountable or will debate your opinion. I don't enter the sports forum, but I would have to believe there are some really loyal fans who are rivals.....so I could see some debating going on in that forum. The culture room is another one where lots of debating goes on (lots of good information is given out there, I highly recommend visiting that room for anyone who hasn't).

If you offer an opinion on a Church topic, such as "I think...it's o.k. if a couple sleeps together when they are already engaged, almost married", you will get a response by someone who will share our Church's teaching on this matter, even though a poster might feel "judged" because of their stance on their "I think it's o.k...." position.

If you would prefer something more light-hearted, join in with the group in the humor room.

Have fun. Participate often. Don't let anyone (negative) get to you. hug
Sep 10th 2013 new
(quote) Michelle-860764 said: Are the forums to be used only for people who agree on issues? I was just wondering, ....
I would hate to be singled Thank you in advance for your replies.
God Bless everyone here and the whole world.
No, the forums are for opinions, advice, and everyone's 2cents! There are some folks who are very forceful in their replies, but be assured, nothing s said to be mean. Sometimes in their zeal to share what they ave learned somewhere, they may come across as being righteous, etc....... Don't sweat it! Happens to e a lot of times when I read nit picking and arguing ....enjoy the forums and feel free to go back several pages to see what has been written in the past top! Also read the blog articles from the past! Enjoy! And Welcome!
Sep 11th 2013 new
(quote) Michelle-860764 said: Are the forums to be used only for people who agree on issues? I was just wondering, thank you.

I would hate to be singled out or shunned because I wasn't black or white on a particular issue or because I inserted my opinion on something.

The forums are for the use of any paid member who follows the forum rules (found here: www.catholicmatch.com or by clicking on the gear icon to the right of the New Topic button and selecting Rules).

I have been an active participant in the forums for 9+ years and I can't recall anyone being shunned. There may be times when you post something that gets few, or perhaps even no, replies, but there are a variety of reasons why this happens.

I don't know what you mean by "singled out". Most of the time, if you post an opinion people will respond. Sometimes very intensely. A common mistake is for people to take responses personally rather than realizing the responses are addressing (or sometimes attacking) the idea, not the person who posted the idea.

On many topics such as politics, sports, entertainment, etc. there may come a poitn where it may well be best for the participants in a discussion to agree to disagree -- although this doesn't always happen.

On matters of faith and morals there are objective truths (the teaching of the Magisterium) which Catholics are obligated to defend: agreeing to disagree is not an option. Those who disagree are certainly free to leave the discussion and believe what they wish (at their own peril), but don't expect statements of error to stand unchallenged or tacitly accepted under the guise of "agreeing to disagree."

In short, while I have no reason to believe anyone will attack or shun you (or anyone else), Those with very thin skins may perceive it as such. If you are unsure how you will react, it might be best to sit back and observe the dynamics for a while before posting yourself.

Sep 11th 2013 new
(quote) Michelle-860764 said: Are the forums to be used only for people who agree on issues? I was just wondering, thank you.

Forums is open to every one.... We have different opinions/views in a certain post, there are some who will agree and some will not... what matters most is at the end of the day, our respect, care and love for each other is still here in our hearts...
Sep 11th 2013 new
I have found people (online especiallly) seem to almost attack each other over politics, beliefs, etc. I am here to make friends not enemies.

Thank you for replying, I am trying very hard to understand the forums and to try to put myself out here to make friends....female and male friends. I don't want to compete, I would just like to be accepted as Jesus teaches.

John 13:34-35

New American Standard Bible (NASB)

34 A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. 35 By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another. theheart
Sep 11th 2013 new
(quote) Michelle-860764 said: I have found people (online especiallly) seem to almost attack each other over politics, beliefs, etc. I am here to make friends not enemies.

Thank you for replying, I am trying very hard to understand the forums and to try to put myself out here to make friends....female and male friends. I don't want to compete, I would just like to be accepted as Jesus teaches.

John 13:34-35

New American Standard Bible (NASB)

34 A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. 35 By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.
More often than not, any "attacks", which are often what might better be labeled as spirited challenges, are against ideas, not people.

This particular forum (Community Help) is not the place to discuss the interpretation of the cited passage from Scripture. It would be a good topic for discussion in the Catechetics forum, if you want to start a new topic there.

Sep 11th 2013 new
As Jerry has already shared a wealth of knowledge,, the only thing i can add is my opinion as to what inflames a Thread and that's based on my observations.
1. I find that "Assuming" what a person means and making a rebuttal based on that assumption often leads to inflammatory language. It's always better to ask for 'clarification' as to what they mean and allow them to break it down and then see if what they said is the same as what you interpreted it as.
2. Making statements using Generalizations such as "most men/women" or a veiled disparaging or Uncharitable remark such as "there sure are _____ kinds of people here"- when referencing someone elses comment.
3. Referencing someones comment does show that you are addressing what they said.. so if you're saying anything contradictory then that can be seen as being adversarial. Sometimes it's better to just voice your own opinion without quoting someone else.

Anyway.. i'm sure there's more..but i would say these are a few things i see off the top of my head that heats up a Thread. Praying biggrin
Sep 12th 2013 new
Do you want the real answer or the politically correct answer? IMHO.
Sep 14th 2013 new
Right on.
Sadly, there is the occasional post that seems to be written with the attitude of "Agree with me or DIE!" (regardless of the topic!). But it's easy to ignore it and move on.
Enjoy!
Posts 1 - 10 of 10