Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This is the place to post any questions about the way that CatholicMatch works or make suggestions. This room is open to both free and subscribing members.

Saint Anthony is the patron of lost things and missing persons.
Learn More:Saint Anthony

Sep 08 new
It's definitely not CM posting those ads. It's your Internet browser. When we visit a site like Mormon.org you're browser will redirect their ad to other sites you visit. This is especially true for sites that offer goods and services. It's a marketing tool. I suspect companies or organizations like Mormon.org spend good money to have their ads redirected. I'm sure CM does the same thing.
Sep 08 new
(quote) Justin-1002926 said: It's definitely not CM posting those ads. It's your Internet browser. When we visit a site like Mormon.org you're browser will redirect their ad to other sites you visit. This is especially true for sites that offer goods and services. It's a marketing tool. I suspect companies or organizations like Mormon.org spend good money to have their ads redirected. I'm sure CM does the same thing.
It's nevertheless disconcerting that mormon.org advertises on a Catholic site. This explains why amazon.com shows up in the window, with books I looked at recently, although it doesn't encourage me to buy the book. Usually the more I look at it the less I want to buy it.

I don't recall going to the site, and definitely not in this browser.
Sep 08 new

Thought I'd pass this along just for info. No one is waiting to see how many members are offended by Mormon advertising before it is pulled. Internet advertising offered by Google does not function in the same way as traditional advertising in traditional print, radio and TV. In those media, a companys advertising department actively seeks out potential advertisers, approving of the content and nature of the advertising before the fact.

With the Google adsense, it is the other way around. Advertising content is suggested through keywords, and CM has to indicate which type of advertising is not appropriate. So, with CM being a Catholic site, and a lot of CM members accessing Catholic / Christian content on their browsers, "religion" may be a keyword that the Google adsense uses, thus resulting in ads that are tagged with the keyword "religion", such as for the Mormon faith, or ads encouraging signing up for courses to become a Baptist pastor.

One time, there was a thread that included a post about household uses for old pantyhose (such as tying up tomato plants to a garden stake). I googled household uses for pantyhose, and the next time I accessed CM, there was an ad for orthopedic pantyhose on the home page! This was not an advertiser CM had approved, it was an ad that passed through filters, based on keywords.

Sep 08 new
You are absolutely spot on Angela. CM has no control over the advertisements we encounter. My ads are different from yours and the next person. However I don't get ads anymore because I sold my pc and tv and got rid of Comcast 3 months ago. I think the pc is outdated and cable is on its way too. Best decision I have made in a while. Sorry for the rant but I forsee a major technological revolution in the near future.
Sep 08 new
I never noticed the ads until I read this thread. Seems like we're making a big deal out of something fairly trivial. Ignore the ads or report them to CM.
Sep 08 new
The fact that any web site does not control the ads that appear on it is what is completely wrong. Frankly, I'm tired of web sites whining that "we don't control the content." It's like Frank Perdue saying, "we don't control the quality of the chickens" when someone complains that a chicken didn't taste any good or was tough. On my web sites, I control everything, and I wouldn't have it any other way. We have to take responsibility instead of passing it on to third parties who are interested mainly in making money. On my web sites, the buck stops with me, not with some faceless entity somewhere. On my web sites, if anyone has any problem with any of the content, that person can take it up with me, the operator of the web site, and I will either justify it or pull it.
Sep 08 new
I think that $100/year should be sufficient to eliminate ads; nothing additional should be required. For what it is worth, I have voluntarily been paying $100/year to my favorite radio station in Florida (run by a college) to help keep it more or less ad-free apart from a few inocuous enhanced underwiting spots, so I do try to put my money where my mouth is.
Sep 09 new
(quote) Wendy-387654 said: Nothing. Which is why I simply go to the advertised site, copy the address, and send it in a help ticket which then informs CM about the inappropriate/undesirable ad.

I may have misunderstood Chelsea's intent, but I understood her comment to be that paying members should not see any ads,

The ads are revenue for CM. If the number of ad views is decreased, the revenue also decreases. The only way to offset this is to raise the subscription rate.

Sep 11 new
I am not going address all the issues brought up here as I think several other members have done a good job of addressing them. The ad space provides the flexibility to do a few things.

1. Provide internal promotional area
2. Sell ad space to Catholic organizations/services
3. Donate ad space to Catholic groups
4. Generate a little extra revenue.

The most ideal situation for us would be to sell out our space to Catholic groups/services/products which would give them added exposure to a very large community and would help provide some additional revenue. Remember if nobody provided advertising then where Catholic services like us advertise? Just some food for thought.
Sep 11 new
I'm thankful that CM keeps the ad space to a small square ( at least that's all I typically see on my primary platform - mac + safari). Other sites - especially news sites - sell adspace all over the page making the primary content almost inaccessible.

So folks, learn how to clear the cache/history/cookies on your devices. If you need help ... ask a kid! laughing laughing Sadly, the electronic world is their playground; but they sure can be helpful sometimes!

Thanks to the knowledgeable posters, staff, and moderators for some answers, and others for the questions - I know I learned something! smile

Posts 11 - 20 of 23