Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This is the place to post any questions about the way that CatholicMatch works or make suggestions. This room is open to both free and subscribing members.

Saint Anthony is the patron of lost things and missing persons.
Learn More:Saint Anthony

Default Search

Sep 8th 2013 new
Is there some way to change the default search ages? Not the saved searches, but the one that pops up when you hit 'new search?' It seems as though the people who pop up on the front page 'online now' and 'new members' are based off that, and somehow I managed to set the stupid thing several years too low on both ends. Now I feel like a creep when I click click those people and they're basically my little sister, if I had one.
Sep 14th 2013 new
Chris,
hopefully you've figured out how to change your default search by now.. if you haven't .. click on "Search" in the blue menu bar and choose "Saved Searches" in the drop down menu.
the next screen.. you should see 2 boxes.. one is your Saved Search.. the other on the bottom.. the "Default Search".

There should be an Edit button below them that allows you to change your preferences.
If you run into trouble..you may want to submit a Help ticket and one off the Staff may be able to help you further..
biggrin Praying
Sep 14th 2013 new
My mind is going faster than I thought. Went to the Saved Searches, and all I see are my saved searches. Nothing else below that. Unless I can't even follow simple instructions correctly, which is a possibility. Guess I'll send a ticket when I get around to it, thanks.
Sep 14th 2013 new
(quote) Chris-906154 said: Is there some way to change the default search ages? Not the saved searches, but the one that pops up when you hit 'new search?' It seems as though the people who pop up on the front page 'online now' and 'new members' are based off that, and somehow I managed to set the stupid thing several years too low on both ends. Now I feel like a creep when I click click those people and they're basically my little sister, if I had one.
actually, you're onto something here, that I find frustrating as well. To me, it appears that the people who pop up on the home page in "new members" and "new photos" etc are based on a default criteria that CM has set up, which appears to have nothing to do with the primary search criteria that I have chosen. I get lots of ladies on there in their early 40's, way outside of my age range. When I go to set up a search, or do a photo search, it seems CM has selected a default range of "41 to 60", which I have to alter to get to my preferred range, which is much tighter around my own age. I'd much rather that CM use my preferred range to select "new members" and photos etc to feature on my home page. Admin, what say ye?
Sep 14th 2013 new
You know something, I think that's actually what I'm talking about. If I go to New Search and it always gives me a range of 27-40. I don't feel comfortable with browsing 20-somethings, but I've accidentally done so a few times because(?) of those little 'Online Now' pics down there don't have the ages. I thought it was something I had mistakenly set, but maybe it's a system thing.
Sep 15th 2013 new
Chris are you sure.. you followed the instructions above? When you clicked on "Saved Searches" you didnt see 2 Fields.. on Top.. "Primary Search" with profiles..etc., and below it.. a similar field with "Default" and profiles etc.,?? scratchchin scratchchin
That's really strange why anyone's search fields would be different. Why don't you try creating a "new Search" and then go back and see what the saved search page looks like. I would put the link to mine but i don't think that would be appropriate. Good Luck. Praying
Sep 15th 2013 new
Did that, and it still shows the same age range. I don't have a 'default search,' on Saved Searches page, just primary and two other saved searches.
Sep 15th 2013 new
I was following this thread yesterday (because I do not like the age range that pops up and wanted to change it like Chris does) and followed the instructions. I do not have a "default" in my search criteria area. I thought it was me. It seems it's not.

Also.....just a point I want to make. (Not start a fight, or look crabby or anything).

But it seems CM has set different criteria based on whether you are a female or male.

CM set Michael's default age range to about 10 years younger to 5 years older.

CM has set my default (and probably other women's) to 5 years younger, and over 10 years older.

CM has set my default to 45 - 62. (And I just recently turned 50. Before this birthday, I believe my preset range was 44 - 60)

So maybe part of why a few of the discussions in the forums have been about men who are looking at younger women is contributed (unintentionally) by CM when they indirectly tell men.....to look at women 10 years younger, but only a few years older. I mean, if a man who brings up his search feature, doesn't look to change the age range section, CM is automatically having him view ladies much younger, and hardly any older.

Again, not picking a fight with any gent in this forum, or on CM, nor am I complaining to or about CM, just noticing that CM has some inequity in how they're set their default parameters for when a female vs. a male brings up their search page.

Could this part be left blank? Or could it automatically be set for about 5 years younger and older, for both genders?

Sep 15th 2013 new
I agree with you, Wendy. They've got mine to go down 14 years, and yours to go up 12 years. That makes no sense. I agree that 5 years up and down would be a good default age parameter, and if people want to extend beyond that (for any reason, I'm not one to judge on another's preferences) they can set their own saved searches accordingly.
Sep 16th 2013 new
(quote) Wendy-387654 said: I was following this thread yesterday (because I do not like the age range that pops up and wanted to change it like Chris does) and followed the instructions. I do not have a "default" in my search criteria area. I thought it was me. It seems it's not.

Also.....just a point I want to make. (Not start a fight, or look crabby or anything).

But it seems CM has set different criteria based on whether you are a female or male.

CM set Michael's default age range to about 10 years younger to 5 years older.

CM has set my default (and probably other women's) to 5 years younger, and over 10 years older.

CM has set my default to 45 - 62. (And I just recently turned 50. Before this birthday, I believe my preset range was 44 - 60)

So maybe part of why a few of the discussions in the forums have been about men who are looking at younger women is contributed (unintentionally) by CM when they indirectly tell men.....to look at women 10 years younger, but only a few years older. I mean, if a man who brings up his search feature, doesn't look to change the age range section, CM is automatically having him view ladies much younger, and hardly any older.

Again, not picking a fight with any gent in this forum, or on CM, nor am I complaining to or about CM, just noticing that CM has some inequity in how they're set their default parameters for when a female vs. a male brings up their search page.

Could this part be left blank? Or could it automatically be set for about 5 years younger and older, for both genders?

mine is 54 to 76 and I am 61 which I find too big a range also
Posts 1 - 10 of 30