Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Pope Francis

Sep 19th 2013 new
In a new interview, he said in referring to gay marriage and abortion, "It is not necessary to talk about these issues all the time. The dogmatic and moral teachings of the church are not all equivalent. The churchs pastoral ministry cannot be obsessed with the transmission of a disjointed multitude of doctrines to be imposed insistently."

What do you think about this? Yes, I agree that the Pope or any church leader shouldn't only talk about moral issues but to atleast imply these issues aren't that important, is somewhat troubling for me. It is nice to talk about loving one another and helping the poor, but who is really going to disagree with that? Abortion and gay marriage have absolutely destroyed western culture and for the Pope to seemingly downgrade their importance is not only troubling but a bit of a head scratcher. boggled

Sep 19th 2013 new
Just heard about letter from non catholic friend who is conservative and moral-- so what does that say? He continued that this very bad for any of the already confused flock ( in or out of the church) He also me to Ed there is 12,000 page letter -- so hopefully there is more to it --- and maybe media spin or no?? I'm still wondering about the Franciscans being punished over Latin Mass! Would like to hear and learn more about what the real deal is .. JMJ+ Lis
Sep 19th 2013 new
Correction I phone.
he told me there is 1200 page letter
Sep 19th 2013 new
Praying rosary theheart Hello Patrick I believe Pope Francis's record as a priest in Argentina is well documented and he is a devout, holy priest. In this information overload society we live in, some information becomes falsified and distorted as I am sure you know. We know where The Holy Roman Catholic Church stands on these issues and Pope Francis's adherence to them. The real question is what are we doing to advance these teachings of the Church and society? Let us look to our own failings and with Jesus's grace correct them and quit bashing the Pope-Satan loves this kind of disorder in the church.JMJ
Sep 19th 2013 new
(quote) Kristin-926543 said: Hello Patrick I believe Pope Francis's record as a priest in Argentina is well documented and he is a devout, holy priest. In this information overload society we live in, some information becomes falsified and distorted as I am sure you know. We know where The Holy Roman Catholic Church stands on these issues and Pope Francis's adherence to them. The real question is what are we doing to advance these teachings of the Church and society? Let us look to our own failings and with Jesus's grace correct them and quit bashing the Pope-Satan loves this kind of disorder in the church.JMJ
Typo-teachings of the Church in society
Sep 19th 2013 new
(quote) Kristin-926543 said: Typo-teachings of the Church in society
You consider that Pope bashing?????? I understand that the teaching haven't changed but when the Pope says the church is "obsessed" with gay marriage, abortion and contraception that is troubling. Those are cornerstone issues of the church. The catholic church is not a social club - it is a religious institution that should proclaim certain teachings whether they are popular or not.

If the Pope wants to emphasize other teachings more I don't necessarily have a problem with that as long as you don't forget about the moral teaching as well.
Sep 19th 2013 new
(quote) Patrick-341178 said: You consider that Pope bashing?????? I understand that the teaching haven't changed but when the Pope says the church is "obsessed" with gay marriage, abortion and contraception that is troubling. Those are cornerstone issues of the church. The catholic church is not a social club - it is a religious institution that should proclaim certain teachings whether they are popular or not.

If the Pope wants to emphasize other teachings more I don't necessarily have a problem with that as long as you don't forget about the moral teaching as well.
It would be best if CMers wait until more reliable sources than the main steam media (MSM) reports any thing about the Church or what the Pope may have said.

To the extent that what has been reported so far is accurate, I would agree with the Pope on this.

By that I mean, we here so much in Catholic media, comparatively rarely from the Pulpit, on these issues so that to outsiders from the Church as well as the MSM believe this is all we are about.

We have to face one simple fact, although it appears we are making progress on the issue of abortion, we are getting no where yet on the homosexual question. But we will never win these issues to a significant degree until we accomplish the main Mission of the Church, bringing more people to the knowledge of Christ in particular, God in His totality, and the message of salvation. Then and only then will our efforts on this issues bear fruit.

And let no one assume I am saying we should not push these issues. But we must succeed at the basic mission for our efforts on these specific issues to bear fruit.
Sep 19th 2013 new
(quote) Patrick-341178 said: You consider that Pope bashing?????? I understand that the teaching haven't changed but when the Pope says the church is "obsessed" with gay marriage, abortion and contraception that is troubling. Those are cornerstone issues of the church. The catholic church is not a social club - it is a religious institution that should proclaim certain teachings whether they are popular or not.

theheart Amen to that comment

I find it hard to believe that the text below is misquoted:

"Pope Francis said the Catholic Church must shake off an obsession with teachings on abortion, contraception and homosexuality and become more merciful or risk the collapse of its entire moral edifice "like a house of cards".

In a dramatically blunt interview with an Italian Jesuit journal, Francis said the church had "locked itself up in small things, in small-minded rules" and should not be so prone to condemn."

I recently listened to a sermon where the priest said that there were priests, Bishops and even Popes in Hell. Is it small minded to condemn abortion as one of the greatest atrocities of our era? What is the exact message that the Bishop of Rome expressing? I actually think that the Church will fall like a house of cards when the Church stops embracing the will of God and His teachings.

Sep 19th 2013 new

Patrick
Pope Francis has come to the papacy with a fresh approach from the Holy Spirit, let us humble ourselves and learn from him, the priest who represents Jesus on earth. He has not in any way diminished the timeless teachings of the church but is asking us to learn to love and forgive and not judge as much, that is IMHO Peace Kristin
Sep 19th 2013 new
The Pope is far greater man than me but when you state publicly that the church needs to demphasize the importance of moral issues in church doctrine, how am I not supposed to be concerned? I understand he isn't changing doctrine and am not implying that he wants to or will. But, as a catholic, I don't see any reason why speaking out against the contraceptive mentality, abortion and gay marriage should NOT be at forefront of catholic teaching. They have and continue to destroy western civilization. Thus, Putin in Russia, has attempted to turn Russia away from the west and he sees the negative impacts of modern social policy. The moral teachings need to be MORE emphasized, not LESS. Saying can't we all just get along is not what Catholicism should be about.
Posts 1 - 10 of 200