Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Sep 19th 2013 new
Before people discuss too much more about this, allow me to link to the full text of Francis' interview.

www.americamagazine.org

The sections spun by the media are from the section of the interview entitled, "the Church as Field Hospital." He is speaking of the role of the priests as confessors to heal the wounds of sin. His point is that the first thing that has to be proclaimed is the Gospel.

Francis, it seems, sees himself as the Pope of First Things.

Sep 20th 2013 new
John Gehring, Catholic program director at Faith in Public Life, a liberal advocacy group in the United States, said:

"This pope is rescuing the Church from those who think that condemning gay people and opposing contraception define what it means to be a real Catholic.

"It's a remarkable and refreshing change."

If a liberal advocacy group is praising Pope Francis, how can I not be concerned? I read the article. I really don't see much spin on the part of the media. The Pope clearly is stating that moral issues should NOT be at forefront of catholic teaching. You can either agree or disagree with that, but I am having a hard time understanding why people are trying to blame the media for spin. If they said that the Pope was stating that changing doctrine should be discussed, that would be spin, as the Pope clearly did not say that. But, at the very least, it is a distinct and clear change in tone from that of Pope John Paul and especially Benedict. I really don't see how that isn't clear.

As a traditional catholic, I wish the Pope would be more like his predecessors. He clearly is not so traditional catholics are going to have to deal with it, I suppose.
Sep 20th 2013 new
(quote) Patrick-341178 said: John Gehring, Catholic program director at Faith in Public Life, a liberal advocacy group in the United States, said:

"This pope is rescuing the Church from those who think that condemning gay people and opposing contraception define what it means to be a real Catholic.

If a liberal advocacy group is praising Pope Francis, how can I not be concerned? I read the article. I really don't see much spin on the part of the media. The Pope clearly is stating that moral issues should NOT be at forefront of catholic teaching. You can either agree or disagree with that, but I am having a hard time understanding why people are trying to blame the media for spin. If they said that the Pope was stating that changing doctrine should be discussed, that would be spin, as the Pope clearly did not say that. But, at the very least, it is a distinct and clear change in tone from that of Pope John Paul and especially Benedict. I really don't see how that isn't clear.

As a traditional catholic, I wish the Pope would be more like his predecessors. He clearly is not so traditional catholics are going to have to deal with it, I suppose.
John Gehring, Catholic program director at Faith in Public Life, a liberal advocacy group in the United States, said:

Me: "Opposing gay acts and premarital acts, opposing contraception and abortion very much define what it means to be a real catholic. It's a remarkable and concerning change."
Sep 20th 2013 new
(quote) Patrick-341178 said: John Gehring, Catholic program director at Faith in Public Life, a liberal advocacy group in the United States, said:

Me: "Opposing gay acts and premarital acts, opposing contraception and abortion very much define what it means to be a real catholic. It's a remarkable and concerning change."
You have fallen for the main stream media spin.

Francis did not say we should not oppose gay acts and contraception and abortion. He is saying we should talk less and do more, especially priests whose job it is to administer to those who commit gay acts or use contraception and abort.

We will not win over those who practice gay sex, contracept or abort by seeming to do nothing but talk about those things. We need to convert them, to bring them to Christ and the message of the Gospel and then our talking about those subjects will have an impact.
Sep 20th 2013 new
(quote) Paul-866591 said: You have fallen for the main stream media spin.

Francis did not say we should not oppose gay acts and contraception and abortion. He is saying we should talk less and do more, especially priests whose job it is to administer to those who commit gay acts or use contraception and abort.

We will not win over those who practice gay sex, contracept or abort by seeming to do nothing but talk about those things. We need to convert them, to bring them to Christ and the message of the Gospel and then our talking about those subjects will have an impact.
That isn't what I said. What I said is what the Pope said is that moral issues should not be the main focus of the church. If you agree with that, fine. I don't.
Sep 20th 2013 new
I think most of the participants of this thread are in violate agreement. I think the media and liberal catholics will continue to look for indications that the church under this new pope will change dogma. this isn't going to happen. I think those of use who are not liberal catholics will continue to miss the clarity we were used to under Benedict and JPII. Pope Francis comes from a different culture, speaks a different language, translations can be difficult...or so it seems for my mind.
After reading the entire interview, I believe he wants the church and we are the church, to be more in relationships with people so that through these loving relationships, the truths of the church can be heard rather than being blocked. I don't believe he is advocating anything other than what the church has put forth, but rather wants all of us to reach out to each other and work to reflect the light and life of Jesus to the world.
Sep 20th 2013 new
I saw this and was amused knowing full well the media was going to get teh wrong end of the stick and next thing be announcing the opening of St. Mary's of the Angels Abortion Clinic. I am, of course, being faectious.

Context is the issue.

The Church teaches that theiving is wrong, that lying is wrong, but its not in all the papers all the time and we don't harp on about it all the time. My reading into this, is the Pope isn't saying abortion et al isn't important, or isn't sinful, or is lesser than other issues, but rather he's saying that we focus so much on what is wrong that we're failing to be merciful to the people who commit these ills. Instead of constantly going on about these things being wrong, we need to place them in context, ie. why it is wrong, why it is hurtful, and most importantly what we, as a Church, should be doing to help these people.

Everyone knows the Church teaches that abortion et al is wrong, but do they know why? I think half of the Pope's statements are based on frustration, both at secular and Catholic media for constantly baggering him. Oh, why hasn't Papa Francis said abortion is bad, why isn't he talking about "gay marriage" since that's such a topical issue, oooh, maybe Papa Francis will let Catholics with HIV use condoms?

No, those teachings are not going to change. The Pope has said he's a son of the Church, he beleives in what the Church teaches on these issues, why would that change between Benedict and him? It won't. He's probably very sick of being asked abut this, So he's refrained the discussion to talk about the problems that cause women to get abortions, he's wanting us to talk about how contraception wounds the soul and perhaps talk abotu solutions, like NFP.

This whole thing is going to be a can of worms, but not because of what Papa Francis said, btu because of the spin that will be put on it, by both the secular media, and the extreme catholic elements that seem to think, as the saying goes, "they're more catholic than the Pope".

There is no doctrinial change. No removal of the evil that these things bring to society. THis is not devaluing human life, or the sancity of Marriage, its simply the Pope calling for people to view the sinner not the sin, and to view them with the love and compassion and mercy Christ has for them. We need to welcome them lovingly, we need to assist them with charity, and we need to correct them withc compassion and mercy.

Otherwise, we're just being self-righteous jerks.

Sep 20th 2013 new
www.patheos.com

This really clears up everything.
Sep 20th 2013 new
(quote) Patrick-341178 said: In a new interview, he said in referring to gay marriage and abortion, "It is not necessary to talk about these issues all the time. The dogmatic and moral teachings of the church are not all equivalent. The churchs pastoral ministry cannot be obsessed with the transmission of a disjointed multitude of doctrines to be imposed insistently."

What do you think about this? Yes, I agree that the Pope or any church leader shouldn't only talk about moral issues but to atleast imply these issues aren't that important, is somewhat troubling for me. It is nice to talk about loving one another and helping the poor, but who is really going to disagree with that? Abortion and gay marriage have absolutely destroyed western culture and for the Pope to seemingly downgrade their importance is not only troubling but a bit of a head scratcher.

Why is it troubling?

People don't understand this Pope because he is so Christ-like, so focused on the basics. He is NOT saying that same sex marriage or abortion or contraception might not be so bad after all. Not in the least! He's saying we need to bring people to Christ before we begin to help them understand and eventually accept the moral truths of our faith. He said that the Church is like a field hospital near a battleground. We must first attend to and dress the wounds before we take their blood pressure and and blood sugar. Of course the secular media will seize upon this and say the Holy Father is "relaxing" the Church's stance on these issues - but he is not doing that.

One thing I cannot abide is the constant hew and cry from the fearful Chicken Little's in our Church, who despair over every action and statement of this saintly and simple pontiff. I'm not saying you've done this Patrick. Yours is a more measured and contemplative approach which seeks to derive the truth and essence of Francis's statement. But others go nuts every time he opens his mouth. IMO, this is a reaction based in fear and a strong lack of faith. The "religious people" of his day reacted the same way to Christ's teachings - accusing him of disregarding "the rules". But Christ never did that. Instead he tried to focus people on the essence because, if they understood that, all the rules would snap into place and be easier to follow. Likewise with Francis. Those within the Church who doubt and criticize this wonderful and refreshing Pope should, instead, listen with an open mind and receptive heart, asking God for the grace to perceive the truth in his beautiful message and put it into effect in their lives. Just as the "religious people" of his day were the greatest obstacle to Christ's message (they were the ones who put him to death even!), so the same people doubt, oppose, and criticize the words and example of this Vicar of Christ.
Sep 20th 2013 new
Thank you Naomi!! Francis is preaching to the self-righteous jerks and it riles them up. The faith cannot be imposed from without; it must come from within. God is never coercive. He invites but he does not compel us to accept his love. This Pope was talking to the pious fuddie duddies and begging them to look within, to prioritize, to grow. He is NOT casting aside any of the Church's teachings or moral truths. Thank you for pointing this out. We all suppose that the Pope needs to tell others how to think and act. Why do we howl and fret when he tells US how to think and act?

To those who don't like what Francis says or does, I say - ask God for the grace to understand and accept hs message rather than critique it.
Posts 11 - 20 of 200