Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

washing machines

Sep 21st 2013 new

Hello

Well granted its an unusual topic but taking care of my reclining mother whos now bed bound its used heavily and always kept on standby, I understand the mechanical aspects but be mistake, setting the pre wash to far ahead the machine the machine went in spin after only a few moments and out of balance it made a loud rapping sound as the outer tub beat wildly against the sides of the machine and refilling it I let it wash thinking the action would distribute everything evenly but again it started it again and shut it down and thought perhaps one of the big springs that support and isolate the inner works from the shell broke loose or the inner tub shaft was bent but apron farther inspection today, all seemed to be in order.

Also removing of the clothing ,sheets and towels I allowed it to spin empty and it indicated no problems then dropping a few of the lighter things and after a second try a couple of the towels it started to vibrate but nothing past an acceptable level. It was a large load but having them before experienced no problems however doing a little research I discovered that some machines dont have an out of balance cut of switch and if no one is around to stop it most likely would self destruct.

Any output or do I really just need to get a life! Lol
Sep 22nd 2013 new
(quote) Paul-99681 said:

Hello

Well granted its an unusual topic but taking care of my reclining mother whos now bed bound its used heavily and always kept on standby, I understand the mechanical aspects but be mistake, setting the pre wash to far ahead the machine the machine went in spin after only a few moments and out of balance it made a loud rapping sound as the outer tub beat wildly against the sides of the machine and refilling it I let it wash thinking the action would distribute everything evenly but again it started it again and shut it down and thought perhaps one of the big springs that support and isolate the inner works from the shell broke loose or the inner tub shaft was bent but apron farther inspection today, all seemed to be in order.

Also removing of the clothing ,sheets and towels I allowed it to spin empty and it indicated no problems then dropping a few of the lighter things and after a second try a couple of the towels it started to vibrate but nothing past an acceptable level. It was a large load but having them before experienced no problems however doing a little research I discovered that some machines dont have an out of balance cut of switch and if no one is around to stop it most likely would self destruct.

Any output or do I really just need to get a life! Lol
First Paul, my utmost admiration to you for stepping forward and becoming a caregiver to your mom. That's a rarity these days. My experience is that towels and sheets tend to ball up inside the machines, thereby throwing them out of balance. You could stop it and spread them out. Since I bought a side loading washer that hasn't been much of a problem.
Sep 22nd 2013 new
Paul,
Maybe you can ask Tim 734178. He has a topic on Saint Peter's Square I Need Help Doing......... He is helping a lot of CM members.
Godspeed and blessings while taking care of your mother. Praying
Sep 22nd 2013 new
You probably either overloaded the machine or need to evenly distribute the clothes in the bin -- this should work unless the machine itself is broken -- be careful to wash things of even weight in each load so it doesn't become unbalanced so easily (ie -- wash a load of jeans, a different load for linens, another for blankets, etc)
Sep 22nd 2013 new
(quote) Rachel-731570 said: You probably either overloaded the machine or need to evenly distribute the clothes in the bin -- this should work unless the machine itself is broken -- be careful to wash things of even weight in each load so it doesn't become unbalanced so easily (ie -- wash a load of jeans, a different load for linens, another for blankets, etc)
I'd guess Rachael is dead on! Distribution of load is critical. It's tough when you wash mostly light weights and a single towel or jeans. Stop the washer redistribute the load and try again.
Sep 22nd 2013 new
(quote) Martha-945168 said: Paul,
Maybe you can ask Tim 734178. He has a topic on Saint Peter's Square I Need Help Doing......... He is helping a lot of CM members.
Godspeed and blessings while taking care of your mother.
And thanks for the plug Martha. wave biggrin
Sep 22nd 2013 new
Your welcome Tim! wave
Sep 22nd 2013 new
Agree with what Peter said.. not that you're going to run out and by a "front load" washer..but i did..and what you're describing is the reason i did. biggrin Top load washers suk! boggled
Sep 22nd 2013 new
Hi Paul. Congratulations and blessings for caring for your mother. I cared for my dad many years ago and the laundry and the bathing and the extra cleaning was unbelievable. On a lighter note, while reading your post I thought of an old Erma Bombeck and something she wrote about sitting on the washer as she ran through the spin cycle. I grew up with an old wringer washer (no spin cycle) and a clothesline. God Bless you, and I hope you get a bit of respite along the way.
Sep 23rd 2013 new
One annoying thing about front loaders, at least with mine- you need to periodically pull the soap drawer out, disassemble it and soak in in a deep sink. After each wash, leave the washer door open to dry out otherwise you will have an odor problem because of the tight seal. There are tablets you can purchase if there is an odor, just follow the directions. Some washers recommend adding a bleach solution where indicated in the drawer and run the cleaning cycle. If I had known this, I probably would have stuck with top loaders, but my house is so tiny I wanted stackable- dryer stacked on top of washer.

Peace,
Pete
Posts 1 - 10 of 15