Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion on entertainment, movies, television, jokes or light-hearted topics. Please keep discussion clean and appropriate for a Catholic site.

Saint Vitus is the patron saint of actors, comedians, dancers, and of entertainers in general.
Learn More:Saint Vitus

Listening to Bleak House on audio. David Copperfield's still on the top of my personal list, but this one's pretty cool. Any other fans? What saith the forum?
Sep 26th 2013 new
Don't know if I've read enough to qualify as a fan, but I've read/listened to 'Great Expectations,' 'Nicholas Nickelby' and 'Christmas Carol' and enjoyed them all. 'GE' is probably my favorite so far: I love Herbert and I want to be Wemmick.
Sep 26th 2013 new
Great Expectations! Another good one!
Sep 26th 2013 new
I just finished reading "A Tale of Two Cities" and am in love with his writing for the first time in my life... I read "David Copperfield" in middle school and couldn't make it through any of his work until I grew up a bit more.
Sep 26th 2013 new
They tried to make us read one of his works in high school, but I didn't bother.
Sep 26th 2013 new
I have not got a hold of that one yet. It's on the list. Actually, I listen to the free audio books on librivox.com.
Sep 26th 2013 new
There's Dickens...and then there's Dickens. wide eyed

"Oliver Twist" is a masterpiece, no doubt of it, as is "Christmas Carol". "Two Cities" and "Copperfield", both good. "Expectations"...all right. But--! "Our Mutual Friend" is complete garbage, as are some of the other works where it's obvious he really hasn't any story to tell but is getting paid by the word to tell it.
Sep 26th 2013 new
(quote) Chris-906154 said: They tried to make us read one of his works in high school, but I didn't bother.
Haven't read Dickens?!?!

<Drop's monocle from right eye in surprise>

Sep 26th 2013 new
(quote) Marge-938695 said: There's Dickens...and then there's Dickens.

"Oliver Twist" is a masterpiece, no doubt of it, as is "Christmas Carol". "Two Cities" and "Copperfield", both good. "Expectations"...all right. But--! "Our Mutual Friend" is complete garbage, as are some of the other works where it's obvious he really hasn't any story to tell but is getting paid by the word to tell it.
Thanks for the warning. I shall suspend judgement for the moment, but I should have known there would be a flop in there somewhere.
Sep 26th 2013 new
I saw that movie he directed with George C. Scott, but that's about it.
Posts 1 - 10 of 29