Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

As a Catholic Christian.....

Sep 29th 2013 new
Would you say something like this to a fellow Christian?

"Really, I want to assume you mean well, but you come across as if to know and understand objectively very little about the faith"

I don't think it is someone else's position in life to tell me I have less faith or understanding of faith than they do. I don't know that answer, that is why I am asking in this forum. To find out what the Church teaches about somthing like this.

Thank you. theheart

Sep 29th 2013 new
What was the person's purpose? To explain why you two are not a match on CM? To explain why they don't feel you and he/she are able to converse deeply on a subject of faith or religion? To just brush you off and not be your friend? To reject your help in a church class or committee? How did this statement come about?
I've had to sometimes explain to a man why I was not wanting to continue in conversation with him when he kept insisting his version of 'God loves us and wants us all to be happy so anything that will make us happy is fine with God' wasn't going over well with me.
It doesn't sound like it was a good person to continue conversing with, maybe?
Sep 29th 2013 new
(quote) Michelle-860764 said: Would you say something like this to a fellow Christian?

"Really, I want to assume you mean well, but you come across as if to know and understand objectively very little about the faith"

I don't think it is someone else's position in life to tell me I have less faith or understanding of faith than they do. I don't know that answer, that is why I am asking in this forum. To find out what the Church teaches about somthing like this.

Thank you.

Michelle, bless your heart,

These sorts of conversations get out of hand very quickly if the people discussing are not in communion as to what words mean. I do not know why this individual may have written such to you, but as for myself, I can only imagine a very limited set of circumstances in which I would say something like that explicitly to a person.

However, your immediate response you've written in your original post starting this thread shows a misunderstanding of what this individual has written to you. The quotation you've posted does not address "your" faith, it addresses "the" faith. You cannot know with an infallible certitude whether or not you have the supernatural virtue of faith, just as you cannot know with an infallible certitude whether or not you have the supernatural virtue of charity without some singular divine revelation. The supernatural virtue would be "yours"; "the" faith, by comparison, is the Church's. The faith is the common body of articles bound upon our assent by the supernatural virtue of faith (this virtue being "yours" personally).

This individual you quoted is saying that to him/her you demonstrate a lack of knowledge and understanding of this common body of articles. This is not a productive statement if, as you report, you are looking to fill your own personal lacking in this regard.

I am sorry that you were insulted by said individual. I hope that you find what you seek, as well!

Sep 29th 2013 new
Thank you Chelsea. I don't think people should be thought less of because the are not as educated on the laws of the Church. The way I've learned about my faith is through knowing Jesus, believing in Him and loving Him with all my heart mind and soul. I guess in the forums if you aren't as educated as some others you are looked down upon. sad

I thought the dating and single living forum would be more for meeting and less for teaching or "preaching". Jesus was the Rabbi and the greatest teacher of all. I will stick with Him for the truth. I wouldn't ever want to or feel the need to humiliate someone or belittle them. It's just not my nature. I thought the forums were for everyone.....guess I thought wrong.

Sep 29th 2013 new
Hello Rachel,

I can't give all the information in the public forum as I would not want the person to be condemned or for me to look like a gossip (which I am not). I am just trying to learn how to treat people kindly and lovingly.
Posts 1 - 5 of 5