Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people 45+. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

The story of Abraham and Sarah is told in chapters 11-25 of the book of Genesis.
Learn More:Abraham & Sarah

Here is a full list of things AARP says people over 50 should and should not do: (Take with a grain of salt)

Words to ax...
- Panties
- Smashed, overserved, or hammered.
- Sick!
- Whatever
- I'm like ... We mean "I said" or "I say." So we should say it.
- Totes. Unless you mean that clever little umbrella.
- Hot. Except when referring to the weather or habaneros.
- Kick it

Things never to do again...
- Jell-O shots
- Karaoke after Jell-O shots or any other time.
- Crowd surfing to the mosh pit.
- Drinking champagne from your son's girlfriend's shoe. Drinking champagne from your own shoe.
- Visible tats, no matter what (or who) you escaped, no matter who or what you discovered.
- Collecting owls made of shells, frogs made of ceramic or lawn gnomes made of anything.

What not to wear...
-Miniskirts, minishorts, anything that's been deliberately diminished or ripped.
- Low-rise pants that showcase low-rise anatomy.
- Super-tight skinny jeans, even if you are both.
- T-shirts that say "Sexy Grandma," "Vote for Ozzy" or "I Am the Man from Nantucket."
- Purses with dogs on them. Purses with dogs in them.
- Gold chains with your name on them. Gold chains. Chains.

People to no longer tolerate...
- Those who don't know you when you're down and out but just love you when you're "back."
- People who learned all they ever needed to know in high school-and are still living it.
- Gossips
- Arrogant doctors, educators, waiters, TV commentators, athletes, authors, legislators, coaches or anyone who lets a little influence go to their head.
- Space invaders. Those who stand too close, consuming space, energy, oxygen and time.

Things to do at least once...
- Create a boundary in life. Then take down a wall.
- Write long handwritten letters to your grandchildren, even the ones who aren't born yet.
- Put your wedding photos in an album before your 25th anniversary. Finish the baby book before the kid's 25th birthday.
- Start telling the truth, every day.
- Stand up for what you believe, and do so with dignity.
- Dance outside at night in a foreign land.
- Be able to retire but say, "The hell with it, I'm going strong."

Oct 13th 2013 new
I despise the expression, "I'm, like." I am hoping to marry a lady who either already has or is willing to expunge that from her speech. (he said, as the few ladies who did not already think he was crazy started to disperse.)
Oct 15th 2013 new
I cannot tolerate the use of "you know" especially from those people who use the expression several times in every sentence. It makes me want to interject, "No, I don't know. Tell me about it."
Oct 15th 2013 new
(quote) Andrew-290721 said: I despise the expression, "I'm, like." I am hoping to marry a lady who either already has or is willing to expunge that from her speech. (he said, as the few ladies who did not already think he was crazy started to disperse.)
I honestly don't remember the last time I heard that........my daughter is 25..................teen girls?...is that when I used to hear it?
Oct 15th 2013 new
(quote) Karen-856326 said: I cannot tolerate the use of "you know" especially from those people who use the expression several times in every sentence. It makes me want to interject, "No, I don't know. Tell me about it."
yuck.....I agree
Oct 15th 2013 new
(quote) Julie-42315 said:

Here is a full list of things AARP says people over 50 should and should not do: (Take with a grain of salt)

Words to ax...
- Panties
- Smashed, overserved, or hammered.
- Sick!
- Whatever
- I'm like ... We mean "I said" or "I say." So we should say it.
- Totes. Unless you mean that clever little umbrella.
- Hot. Except when referring to the weather or habaneros.
- Kick it

Things never to do again...
- Jell-O shots
- Karaoke after Jell-O shots or any other time.
- Crowd surfing to the mosh pit.
- Drinking champagne from your son's girlfriend's shoe. Drinking champagne from your own shoe.
- Visible tats, no matter what (or who) you escaped, no matter who or what you discovered.
- Collecting owls made of shells, frogs made of ceramic or lawn gnomes made of anything.

What not to wear...
-Miniskirts, minishorts, anything that's been deliberately diminished or ripped.
- Low-rise pants that showcase low-rise anatomy.
- Super-tight skinny jeans, even if you are both.
- T-shirts that say "Sexy Grandma," "Vote for Ozzy" or "I Am the Man from Nantucket."
- Purses with dogs on them. Purses with dogs in them.
- Gold chains with your name on them. Gold chains. Chains.

People to no longer tolerate...
- Those who don't know you when you're down and out but just love you when you're "back."
- People who learned all they ever needed to know in high school-and are still living it.
- Gossips
- Arrogant doctors, educators, waiters, TV commentators, athletes, authors, legislators, coaches or anyone who lets a little influence go to their head.
- Space invaders. Those who stand too close, consuming space, energy, oxygen and time.

Things to do at least once...
- Create a boundary in life. Then take down a wall.
- Write long handwritten letters to your grandchildren, even the ones who aren't born yet.
- Put your wedding photos in an album before your 25th anniversary. Finish the baby book before the kid's 25th birthday.
- Start telling the truth, every day.
- Stand up for what you believe, and do so with dignity.
- Dance outside at night in a foreign land.
- Be able to retire but say, "The hell with it, I'm going strong."

I will NOT relinquish my poodle wear
Oct 15th 2013 new
I know this is a more serious reply but AARP is a very liberal organization that does tend to defend our pro-choice president Obama. I recently cancelled my subscription to them-no offense Julie.
Oct 15th 2013 new
(quote) Kristin-926543 said: I know this is a more serious reply but AARP is a very liberal organization that does tend to defend our pro-choice president Obama. I recently cancelled my subscription to them-no offense Julie.
You might to look into the "Association of Mature American Citizens." Conservative alternative to AARP.
Oct 15th 2013 new
(quote) Susan-857876 said: I honestly don't remember the last time I heard that........my daughter is 25..................teen girls?...is that when I used to hear it?
That phrase has become so cultural that it seems almost everyone uses it. It may have started with "Valley girls" but it spread quickly and now is pandemic.
Oct 16th 2013 new
Man, there's so much on this list that I don't agree with! boggled

Things not to say:
- Sorry, but "Totes" are everywhere in New England...there's no other word for the ubiquitous canvas bag made by everyone from L.L.Bean on down and used for everything from beer to lacrosse gear to bathing suits to firewood. Take away "totes" and the female half of Maine can't communicate - or travel.
- My kids tell me I'm not allowed to say "Chill out". tongue

Things not to do:
-- Seriously, who here over 45 has ever surfed a mosh pit? wide eyed Dude, more power to you! highfive
- Visible tattoos? Heck, these days, nobody covers them up.

What not to wear:
- I'm not giving up my short skirts. I still look good in them. Y'all can suffer (or not).
- I'm not giving up my gold chains. They are 22K.

People not to tolerate:
- Anyone on TV is off my list nowadays.

Things to do:
- If I ever get around to writing a letter to the (as yet unborn) grandchildren, it will be on a wordprocessor. Today's kids can't read handwriting, what makes anyone think that kids in 2040 will be able to read it?
- I hope to finish the Year 2000 scrapbook by 2025. I may finish the Cub Scout scrapbook for my son by then...when he'll be 38.
- I avoid telling the truth more often now than I ever did. In everyday life, truth is too often too ugly and it seems gratuitously cruel sometimes.
- I would love to dance outside in a foreign land...if I had someone to dance with me. wink

Posts 1 - 10 of 15