Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Just wondering if this is part of the challenge of online dating. So far my experience has been that I am much more attracted to the men I've been in contact with after meeting them then I was by looking at their profile and picture. Interacting with him and seeing his mannerisms can bump up the level of attraction a great deal! Perhaps it's not possible to really be attracted to someone from a profile? And perhaps this is the reason there seem to be persons on here who are frustrated with the process - because the "complete package" of who they are cannot be communicated effectively in their profile?
Oct 12th 2013 new
Hi Kristen,

Sure it's possible. That's just the first step. At the same time, meeting could go either way. I want to believe that in most cases, if there has been good dialog between the two, the percentage would be higher that meeting would escalate. Maybe I'm wrong?
Oct 12th 2013 new
(quote) Johnny-975202 said: Hi Kristen,

Sure it's possible. That's just the first step. At the same time, meeting could go either way. I want to believe that in most cases, if there has been good dialog between the two, the percentage would be higher that meeting would escalate. Maybe I'm wrong?
I perhaps was not clear in what I mean - I know it is possible, and I would imagine there are some people who get lots of attention because they are photogenic or they are very good at conveying the person they are in writing. But I think there are also many people who are much more attractive "in person" or after discerning their character through communication than their profile suggests. So I wonder how many opportunities are passed by because this medium is somewhat limiting in putting one's best foot forward. I guess I think it's important to be open minded when looking at profiles, because what you see there is often not the full picture!
Oct 12th 2013 new
Thanks for the post Kristen, I agree with you. A profile can only offer a short view but not the whole picture, and to be attracted to someone takes considering all that they have, not just surface parts. Like you said people are looking for the complete package in a profile and that won't exist. At least you have meet some people face to face, I admire that you did so, it's easy to hide behind a profile.
CM isn't Facebook where you "like"someone's post, they are people and need to be communicated with in the real world. Something I am guilty of myself
Oct 12th 2013 new
Even though I consider myself fairly discerning, this whole process is making me reconsider the maxim "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush."

The gulf between promising words and proven character or a fairly generic profile and a sweet, caring or dynamic personality, not to mention all the intangibles of chemistry, make on-line dating a leap of faith, at best, and a crap shoot, at worst. Especially, for those from small towns who cannot easily set up an casual date around the corner.

Ironically, even as I type how I think...it is not how I talk...and I prefer simple, childlike yet wise, maternal personalities, if for no other reason than opposites attract.

Maybe videos and Skype can close the gap somewhat?
Oct 12th 2013 new
I agree, Johnny. In my experience it has gone both ways. But, it seems that the longer the dialogue before FTF, the better chance for "success". Getting to know someone well by what they write or say on the phone gives me a good clue as to whether they will have the "attraction" factor in person.
Oct 12th 2013 new
Jan....Exactly.
Oct 12th 2013 new
(quote) David-174079 said: Even though I consider myself fairly discerning, this whole process is making me reconsider the maxim "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush."

The gulf between promising words and proven character or a fairly generic profile and a sweet, caring or dynamic personality, not to mention all the intangibles of chemistry, make on-line dating a leap of faith, at best, and a crap shoot, at worst. Especially, for those from small towns who cannot easily set up an casual date around the corner.

Ironically, even as I type how I think...it is not how I talk...and I prefer simple, childlike yet wise, maternal personalities, if for no other reason than opposites attract.

Maybe videos and Skype can close the gap somewhat?
Totally agree - especially with your statement communication in words and in person. I'm sure I come off as a total egghead in these Forums when in person I am fun and mostly tell stories and like to do active stuff! And yes - Skype is very helpful. I guess my point is that many opportunities to meet are lost simply because a person is ruled out before communication has even occurred because of the information (or lack thereof) in one's profile, when if the first encounter was meeting face to face, there would be interest and a potential for a relationship!
Oct 12th 2013 new
(quote) Kristen-878108 said: Totally agree - especially with your statement communication in words and in person. I'm sure I come off as a total egghead in these Forums when in person I am fun and mostly tell stories and like to do active stuff! And yes - Skype is very helpful. I guess my point is that many opportunities to meet are lost simply because a person is ruled out before communication has even occurred because of the information (or lack thereof) in one's profile, when if the first encounter was meeting face to face, there would be interest and a potential for a relationship!
It would be nice if Catholic Match could offer an option to upload a video from Youtube or something instead of just photos on the profile. wave

Maybe people could read their profiles on video or something. I wonder how many people would do it?
Oct 12th 2013 new
(quote) Michelle-860764 said: It would be nice if Catholic Match could offer an option to upload a video from Youtube or something instead of just photos on the profile.

Maybe people could read their profiles on video or something. I wonder how many people would do it?
I was thinking the same thing - hearing a voice and seeing mannerisms would be a great option! I think I would do it, but I must admit I find the idea a little intimidating!
Posts 1 - 10 of 104