Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people under 45. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

Frassati was dedicated to works of social action, charity, prayer and community.
Learn More:Pier Giorgio Frassati

Oct 16th 2013 new
(quote) Justin-1002926 said: I would send them to public school. It's free.
Didnt you start a thread about quitting the Church? Salvation was purchased at a great price. The least we can do is make sure we do our part.
Oct 16th 2013 new
I didn't know God judges those who send their kids to public school.
Oct 16th 2013 new
(quote) Tim-734178 said: Didnt you start a thread about quitting the Church? Salvation was purchased at a great price. The least we can do is make sure we do our part.
Yes I started that thread. I don't know my part though. How does one figure that out?
Oct 16th 2013 new
You're dissembling. God will judge us all, it's a matter of Catholic doctrine, both at the general resurrection and at our particular deaths. Parents have a grave duty of educating their children, and therefore will be judged accordingly for the formation that their children receive. This is reiterated in Divini illius magistri, Casti connubii and Canon Law.
Oct 16th 2013 new
I do not know if you have heard of something called "Common Core". but this is an insidious attempt by the federal government to provide school "choice" (sound familiar?), This choice is in what school to send your child to, not what the curricula will be that your child will be taught. The evil in these common core standards is that all children must be tested by these standards whether they are homeschooled or taught in public school. This is how the federal government is attempting to control the minds of our youth. Get involved and vote against Common Core standards. Do not believe the lies that the teachers will still have control over their lesson plans; they won't. The lesson plans are predefined by the government. Fight Common Core! Do not be deceived!
Oct 16th 2013 new
(quote) Chelsea-743484 said: You're dissembling. God will judge us all, it's a matter of Catholic doctrine, both at the general resurrection and at our particular deaths. Parents have a grave duty of educating their children, and therefore will be judged accordingly for the formation that their children receive. This is reiterated in Divini illius magistri, Casti connubii and Canon Law.
That's nice. If I ever have kids I will consider it. But for now I'm sticking with public schools.
Oct 16th 2013 new
I just want to put it out there that I am a practicing Catholic who taught public school for over 30 some years. I was not the only teacher on the staff who also taught CCD, or was in the church choir, or in many other ways was an active practicing Catholic. We also had active, practicing Jews, Methodists, Lutherans etc in the faculty and staff, and our students were from many faiths, and they would sometimes tell about being at Sunday school, Bible Study, or preparing for First Communion or Confirmation. ( Overheard a hilarious conversation where a 4th grade boy was trying to explain First Communion to a Jehovah's Witness) There were some who didn't seem to ever go to any place of worship at all.The Lord loves all children, even the ones who haven't met Him yet. In all my years of teaching elementary school, I never saw anything in the curriculum that made me worry that I was doing something wrong or teaching something that was not compatible with the word of the Lord.

Oct 16th 2013 new
In general home schooling is great. One problem is when the parents are not very well educated.
A bigger problem is when they are poorly educated and don't realize it.
Oct 16th 2013 new
(quote) Tim-734178 said: We homeschooled our oldest two from grade 2 through high school. I was the principle educator from grade 7 on. Both have graduated or will this spring. Both magma cum loude. One in biochemistry, the other in biology with a specialty in parasites. Both intend to do graduate work or med school.

The next four I home schooled from
day one. While they are in public school now they hate it. However they all are 4.0 students in their respective grades. The youngest does well, but is emotionally behind most likely to the divorce.

Homeschooling works and works well if you are committed. Kind of like marriage.
Tim,
My guess is that you are very well educated.-And that that was a huge factor in the success of your kids with home schooling.
Oct 16th 2013 new
Get the federal gov. completely out of education, it has no constitutional right to be involved in education anyway. All education should be private. The gov. should be involved only in testing, such as, you want a drivers lic....take a test, want to be a plumber...take a test, etc. The word, education, is a very broad word. Most of the time when it is used it should be further defined such as, educated in welding, educated in history, educated in math, educated in bartending, etc.
Posts 21 - 30 of 61