Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

brainiacs

Oct 16th 2013 new
okay..............be honest now...............I'm usually bright but can be a few sandwiches short of a picnic.

How do folks feel about the book learning of their dates?
Oct 16th 2013 new
I've been called a brainiac before...as well as a "human encyclopedia." I was identified as gifted when I was just a child and was always placed in advanced classes. (Except for math. Math is my weakness.)

That being said, I try to keep an open mind about the brainiac status of my potential matches. I would love to have someone who matches or even surpasses me in intelligence, but I remain open to anyone with reasonable intelligence who is a practicing Catholic. :) I do seem to gravitate to the men who demonstrate intellectual "thirst" and prowess. Conversation is often easier with these men, especially if we happen to share intellectual pursuits. But again, I won't rule out someone who isn't an intellectual.

Oct 16th 2013 new
I'm a nerd I don't necessarily need for someone to be bookish or intellectual but it would be great if they were "curious" about the world. I find that I've just had a hard time talking to someone who doesn't want to expand their mind.
Oct 16th 2013 new
For me, the important thing is a wanting to learn. There are too many people who don't even want to learn or expand their minds.
Oct 16th 2013 new
I don't know if I would do well with a complete airhead, but I could endure a bit of scatterbraininess, which in measured doses can be charming. Also, many ladies who are not highly intelligent could still have a deep but simple faith and great wisdom. Wisdom and intelligence don't always go together. Of course, there are many well-educated people who have no faith at all and would be immediately disqualified from consideration in the Andrew Sweepstakes. Perhaps God would like me to share some of my intelligence in marriage with a lady who is less fortunate; I am willing. I could play George Burns to a Gracie Allen.
Oct 16th 2013 new
Oh, MY!!
Be sure that you are not settling for "looks" or "physique" when overlooking the ability to communicate on your level; what ever that level is. Life gets mundane and "normal" after the big day and then, when the "ho-hum" sets in you need to be able to at least keep up a conversation. Heard of the term "equally yoked"? Well, it encompasses more than your walk with the Lord and your Spiritual keenness.
Don't give up

biggrin tongue scratchchin
Oct 16th 2013 new
(quote) Andrew-290721 said: I don't know if I would do well with a complete airhead, but I could endure a bit of scatterbraininess, which in measured doses can be charming. Also, many ladies who are not highly intelligent could still have a deep but simple faith and great wisdom. Wisdom and intelligence don't always go together. Of course, there are many well-educated people who have no faith at all and would be immediately disqualified from consideration in the Andrew Sweepstakes. Perhaps God would like me to share some of my intelligence in marriage with a lady who is less fortunate; I am willing. I could play George Burns to a Gracie Allen.
Good post! The Andrew Sweepstakes laughing I'm not as smart as George Burns, but I could play Ralph Cramden to Alice Cramden.
Oct 16th 2013 new
Intelligence has nothing to do with education level. A desire for learning and discussion and a curiosity about the world have nothing to do with education level. Pete never graduated from high school. I was in the top ten percent. Pete was one of the most intelligent men I have ever known. There were very few things he couldn't do or learn and he had a voracious curiosity about the world and how things worked, what people thought. I told him all the time, if he had grown up in a different family he would have been a total nerd lol.

It's been suggested to me that I should downplay or hide my brain and my education level in the dating game. But, I figure Pete loved me and my brain. If there is another guy out there for me, then he too will love me and my brain just as it is. And, if it puts him off, then he's not the fella for me, right, because I could only downplay it for so long and then it would leak out anyway, nerdiness tends to do that.

Oct 16th 2013 new
(quote) Lauren-927923 said: Intelligence has nothing to do with education level. A desire for learning and discussion and a curiosity about the world have nothing to do with education level. Pete never graduated from high school. I was in the top ten percent. Pete was one of the most intelligent men I have ever known. There were very few things he couldn't do or learn and he had a voracious curiosity about the world and how things worked, what people thought. I told him all the time, if he had grown up in a different family he would have been a total nerd lol.

It's been suggested to me that I should downplay or hide my brain and my education level in the dating game. But, I figure Pete loved me and my brain. If there is another guy out there for me, then he too will love me and my brain just as it is. And, if it puts him off, then he's not the fella for me, right, because I could only downplay it for so long and then it would leak out anyway, nerdiness tends to do that.

Amen, Sister! If it is not okay to be yourself, then it is not the right situation for you. I am also a deep thinker and love thinking for its own sake. I hope that God will place a man who loves thinking as well as discussion in my life!
Oct 17th 2013 new
I knew a woman who was a "Mensa" member, and she was an example of a intelligent person incapable of applying her intelligence to practical matters and problem-solving.

She also was a fervent "feminist" of the type that railed against males who were lustful "sexual predators" who viewed women as little more than "sex objects" .

Because of her physical appearance , only a man with a distored mentality would consider any sexual. contact with this woman , so she obviously resorted to a crusade againt men who viewed attractive women as irrestible.
Posts 1 - 10 of 43