Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

paying bills online

Oct 15th 2013 new
I am nervous now about paying my bills online since someone was able to get into her credit cards, online, and charge items to her card. Her bank will reimburse her and she will file a police report.
This same thing happened to me a few years ago. Discover card called me to ask me about some new charges on my card. It was over $2,000 that was charged, all online for clothing. Since I never do that, Discover was suspicious. I didn't have to pay for any of that either.

A co worker had his identity stolen ten years ago and is still having to sort it all out. As of right now, I am paying all my cards online and some are on auto debited.

Have you had any problems with the things I've mentioned and if so, did you continue to pay bills online?
Oct 15th 2013 new
(quote) Connie-17641 said: I am nervous now about paying my bills online since someone was able to get into her credit cards, online, and charge items to her card. Her bank will reimburse her and she will file a police report.
This same thing happened to me a few years ago. Discover card called me to ask me about some new charges on my card. It was over $2,000 that was charged, all online for clothing. Since I never do that, Discover was suspicious. I didn't have to pay for any of that either.

A co worker had his identity stolen ten years ago and is still having to sort it all out. As of right now, I am paying all my cards online and some are on auto debited.

Have you had any problems with the things I've mentioned and if so, did you continue to pay bills online?
oh, I was talking about my daughter in the first paragraph.
Oct 15th 2013 new
My suggestions:

Never use debit cards for on-line transactions: even if you are fully protected in the event of fraud (NOT a given!), the money comes straight out of your checking account, so you will not have the cash for some period of time.

Check whether your credit card provider has an option to obtain single-use card numbers to use in place of the actual card number.

Oct 16th 2013 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: My suggestions:

Never use debit cards for on-line transactions: even if you are fully protected in the event of fraud (NOT a given!), the money comes straight out of your checking account, so you will not have the cash for some period of time.

Check whether your credit card provider has an option to obtain single-use card numbers to use in place of the actual card number.

Ty Jerry for the information.
I'm going to call each card to close them since I only have them open to pay them off. Is it true that it will affect your credit score if you have them open and never use them? someone told me that recently.
Oct 16th 2013 new
DO NOT close your credit cards. If you do, it will reflect on your credit rating as you will no longer show as having a credit line. The ration between your credit lines and the amount you have on them seriously impacts your credit rating. Always better to keep them open use them every so often for something like a tank of gas and then pay it in full. I used to assist a mortgage broker and i don't know how many times someone paid off their credit cards and closed the card and it dropped their credit rating.

Much better to freeze it in a block of ice and have it open. Also try to keep the balances below fifty percent of your combined credit lines.

Oct 16th 2013 new
(quote) Connie-17641 said: Ty Jerry for the information.
I'm going to call each card to close them since I only have them open to pay them off. Is it true that it will affect your credit score if you have them open and never use them? someone told me that recently.
I agree with Lauren's advice.

You may want to poke around on ClarkHoward.com: he has a great deal of advice on dealing with consumer/financial issues, including credit cards.

Oct 16th 2013 new
Connie.. just based on my experience..

It almost sounds like you're addressing two different issues. Paying bills online through your Banks website is completely different from making purchases Online and using your CCs to pay for the item. Most Banking websites have extremely sophisticated software to prevent hacking--not impossible but very difficult.

Most of the Credit Card numbers that you hear about being stolen, are stolen from the Computer Database of Retail Stores where the purchase took place. As far as ID theft.. that can be a number of things.. from something as easy as having your Mail stolen and Criminals getting your personal info.. something which i'm sure you've seen in the news.

I've been paying bills online for 6-7 years.. with Regions Bank,, and never had any issues.. biggrin Praying
Oct 17th 2013 new
I had that happen to me before I bought my house. I closed out a credit card from "The Limited" which I never used and my score dropped. I didn't know it would do that. :-(
Oct 17th 2013 new
oh my word!......................I have misread again.........thinking it was
paying ''on time''..............

[[cheeky question I thought to myself]]....another of those ''excuse me'' types
Oct 17th 2013 new
That's good to know.
I have a lot of cards (no balances, no annual fees) that I keep for emergencies. If I ever needed unexpectedly to go somewhere or buy something big, I can do it.
Posts 1 - 10 of 11