Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

I am not sure that with what is going on with America, many new jobs are
likely to be formed in the near future.

The impediments to creating new jobs are:

(1) Amount of new paperwork and reporting implemented by the US
Government under Obama for small company owners.

(2) Possible new healtcare rules to hire full-time employees under
Obamacare, causing small businesses to be cautious in hiring.

(3) Competition from manufacturing jobs overseas keeping prices artificially
low on products. Therefore, competition is difficult for American products.

(4) Not much extra money in the pockets of overtaxed Americans to spend
on products.

Given the above, and I am sure there are a lot more impediments, I can't
see business hiring many more positions or trying to compete in a market
that would be stacked against them by overseas competition.

Can anyone shed some positive light on this topic and suggest how this
country can begin creating new jobs?
Oct 17th 2013 new
(quote) Marianne-100218 said: I am not sure that with what is going on with America, many new jobs are
likely to be formed in the near future.

The impediments to creating new jobs are:

(1) Amount of new paperwork and reporting implemented by the US
Government under Obama for small company owners.

(2) Possible new healtcare rules to hire full-time employees under
Obamacare, causing small businesses to be cautious in hiring.

(3) Competition from manufacturing jobs overseas keeping prices artificially
low on products. Therefore, competition is difficult for American products.

(4) Not much extra money in the pockets of overtaxed Americans to spend
on products.

Given the above, and I am sure there are a lot more impediments, I can't
see business hiring many more positions or trying to compete in a market
that would be stacked against them by overseas competition.

Can anyone shed some positive light on this topic and suggest how this
country can begin creating new jobs?
For one thing, the banks and other industries that are too heavily concentrated should be broken up. You can include the media in that.
Oct 17th 2013 new
(quote) Marianne-100218 said: I am not sure that with what is going on with America, many new jobs are
likely to be formed in the near future.

The impediments to creating new jobs are:

(1) Amount of new paperwork and reporting implemented by the US
Government under Obama for small company owners.

(2) Possible new healtcare rules to hire full-time employees under
Obamacare, causing small businesses to be cautious in hiring.

(3) Competition from manufacturing jobs overseas keeping prices artificially
low on products. Therefore, competition is difficult for American products.

(4) Not much extra money in the pockets of overtaxed Americans to spend
on products.

Given the above, and I am sure there are a lot more impediments, I can't
see business hiring many more positions or trying to compete in a market
that would be stacked against them by overseas competition.

Can anyone shed some positive light on this topic and suggest how this
country can begin creating new jobs?
Nationalize the Fed, bring back Glass-Steagall, end globalization and tear down the anti-American empire of the Street. End floating exchange rates, ban certain types of options trading, etc. Basically gear the economy toward production and away from destructive gambling.
Oct 17th 2013 new
(quote) Steven-706921 said: For one thing, the banks and other industries that are too heavily concentrated should be broken up. You can include the media in that.
What do you mean by "too heavily concentrated?"
Oct 17th 2013 new
(quote) Sean-851370 said: Nationalize the Fed, bring back Glass-Steagall, end globalization and tear down the anti-American empire of the Street. End floating exchange rates, ban certain types of options trading, etc. Basically gear the economy toward production and away from destructive gambling.
I don't think nationalizing the Fed will have any effect.

And how can floating exchange rates be implemented? The exchange rates
are a function of the perceived value of the economy and also if the Fed
wants a stronger or weaker dollar.

Yes, Glass-Steagall should never have been abolished.

What about derivatives?

Also, what do you think of instituting tariff's on foreign goods to give the
US a fighting chance in competition? No one seems to want to do that
or think it is a good idea. I think it will protect America because these
are desperate times since manufacturing has left our shores with
lightening speed.

I just don't know how the Government can help create jobs with the
policies they have in place.
Oct 18th 2013 new
(quote) Marianne-100218 said: I don't think nationalizing the Fed will have any effect.

And how can floating exchange rates be implemented? The exchange rates
are a function of the perceived value of the economy and also if the Fed
wants a stronger or weaker dollar.

Yes, Glass-Steagall should never have been abolished.

What about derivatives?

Also, what do you think of instituting tariff's on foreign goods to give the
US a fighting chance in competition? No one seems to want to do that
or think it is a good idea. I think it will protect America because these
are desperate times since manufacturing has left our shores with
lightening speed.

I just don't know how the Government can help create jobs with the
policies they have in place.
The Fed's a private bank. We shouldn't have a private bank controlling the credit of the US. Credit has to be available for productive enterprises at reasonable interest rates.

No...we need to stop the floating exchange rates and go back to fixed exchange rates defined in terms of gold. Many (most?) types of derivatives should be banned. We also need re-enactment of usury laws to stop run-away credit-card debt. Yeah, perhaps tariffs could be used, although the US was once the most productive nation in the world. If we create a production-based economy again, I don't think tariffs will be needed.

The government can't create jobs with current policies, which have been designed for years to make the US into a rentier state. The shift from monetarism toward a productive economy hopefully will happen in the next few years. Otherwise, we're doomed.
Oct 18th 2013 new
(quote) Marianne-100218 said: I don't think nationalizing the Fed will have any effect.

And how can floating exchange rates be implemented? The exchange rates
are a function of the perceived value of the economy and also if the Fed
wants a stronger or weaker dollar.

Yes, Glass-Steagall should never have been abolished.

What about derivatives?

Also, what do you think of instituting tariff's on foreign goods to give the
US a fighting chance in competition? No one seems to want to do that
or think it is a good idea. I think it will protect America because these
are desperate times since manufacturing has left our shores with
lightening speed.

I just don't know how the Government can help create jobs with the
policies they have in place.
Hi Marianne, IMHO tariffs would be of little help : en.wikipedia.org
Oct 18th 2013 new
(quote) Sean-851370 said: Nationalize the Fed, bring back Glass-Steagall, end globalization and tear down the anti-American empire of the Street. End floating exchange rates, ban certain types of options trading, etc. Basically gear the economy toward production and away from destructive gambling.
How ridiculous! The Fed is already part and parcel of the Federal Government.

With only one exception, the chairman and all the members of the Federal Reserve Board are nominated by the President of the US of A with the Advice and Consent of the Senate. The only exception is that the President of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York is by law a member of the Board.

The 12 Federal Reserve Banks are nominally Private Banks, owned by the member banks in their district. The reality is that the Banks are owned by the Federal Government and the private ownership is only nominal.

Ownership means that you re free to buy and sell your ownership interest at will. That you can buy as little or as much of a company as you wish at any time. It also implies that you can sell your ownership interest to whomever you want, whenever you want at any price agreeable to the buying and selling parties.

As an owner you are entitled to any and all profits of the enterprise you invest in (conversely absorbing any losses) either through dividends or an increase (decrease) in the value of your holdings. In the events that the enterprise is liquidated, as an owner you are entitled to receive your share of the amounts realized from the liquidation.

None of these necessary incidence of ownership belong to a member bank.

Membership (becoming a stockholder) is required by law. As a bank you have no say in the matter. The amount of stock you buy and the price thereof is stipulated with the force of law via the reserve requirement set by the Federal Reserve Board which you must deposit with your District Bank. You cannot buy more or less than the specified amount. You cannot sell your shares to anyone you choose but only to the District bank from which you were forced to buy them in the first place.The only amount you will receive for your shares is exactly the same amount you were forced to buy (deposit with the District Bank.)

No matter how profitable the District Bank may be, as a supposed owner, your investment never increases in value. The Governing Board of your District can (but is not required to) declare a dividend to be paid to the member (owner banks) from its profits, but by law that dividend can be no larger than 6%.

All the rest of the profit, except that which the District Bank retains to fund its level of operations, belongs to and must be paid to the US Treasury, not as a tax but because it belongs to the Federal Government.

If the Banks are ever liquidated by act of Congress, all assets and proceeds from the liquidation except for the required reserve requirements which are returned to the member banks, are turned over to the US Government to do with as it pleases.

As nominal owners, the member banks, elect the Board of Directors of the District Bank who in turn hire the major officers of the District Bank who in turn are responsible for the day to day operations of the Bank. The Board also sets the operating policy of the District Bank but only within the parameters specified by the Federal Reserve Board in Washington, who are beholden only to the Congress and the President.
Oct 18th 2013 new
(quote) Marianne-100218 said: I am not sure that with what is going on with America, many new jobs are
likely to be formed in the near future.

The impediments to creating new jobs are:

(2) Possible new healtcare rules to hire full-time employees under
Obamacare, causing small businesses to be cautious in hiring.

(4) Not much extra money in the pockets of overtaxed Americans to spend
on products.

Can anyone shed some positive light on this topic and suggest how this
country can begin creating new jobs?
I can't shed positive light, nor can I give an immediate suggest on how to create more jobs, but maybe if we STOPPED obamacare, we'd stop the slashing of jobs:

US employers slashing worker hours to avoid Obamacare insurance mandate (9/2013)
www.theguardian.com

ObamaCare Employer Mandate: A List Of Cuts To Work Hours, Jobs (10/17/2013) This one has a huge list of cutbacks from various states
news.investors.com

Businesses claim Obamacare has forced them to cut employee hours (8/2-13)
investigations.nbcnews.com


A job engine sputters as hospitals cut staff (10/13/2013)
www.usatoday.com
Oct 18th 2013 new
(quote) Wendy-387654 said: I can't shed positive light, nor can I give an immediate suggest on how to create more jobs, but maybe if we STOPPED obamacare, we'd stop the slashing of jobs:

US employers slashing worker hours to avoid Obamacare insurance mandate (9/2013)
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/30/us-employers-slash-hours-avoid-obamacare

ObamaCare Employer Mandate: A List Of Cuts To Work Hours, Jobs (10/17/2013) This one has a huge list of cutbacks from various states
http://news.investors.com/politics-obamacare/101713-669013-obamacare-employer-mandate-a-list-of-cuts-to-work-hours-jobs.htm

Businesses claim Obamacare has forced them to cut employee hours (8/2-13)
http://investigations.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/08/13/20010062-businesses-claim-obamacare-has-forced-them-to-cut-employee-hours


A job engine sputters as hospitals cut staff (10/13/2013)
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2013/10/13/hospital-job-cuts/2947929/
Wendy:

I hear you about Obamacare. It seems there is nothing that can be done to
stop it.

Unfortunately, from what I am understanding, Obamacare is going to be
crushed under its own weight eventually. And that, I fear, is not going to
be good for America.

Could you think of something that will create jobs for the US? I wish
we could think of things.
Posts 1 - 10 of 136