Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This is the place to post any questions about the way that CatholicMatch works or make suggestions. This room is open to both free and subscribing members.

Saint Anthony is the patron of lost things and missing persons.
Learn More:Saint Anthony

Links & Windows

Oct 18th 2013 new
Hi,

Whenever I am in CM and I click on a link to an article or blog entry in CM Institute, the same window is used to bring it up, thereby making my CM account unaccessible unless I open another window. I know from web sites I have designed, that links can be made to create a new window, while leaving up my CM account. I often like to cross reference the two, but I can't unless I copy the article's address into a new window and then Go Back to CM in my original window. At least that is the only way I seem to have found to make it work.

Any way that CM will be allowing links to CMI create a new window?

Thanks ahead of time for your help,
Kathleen
Oct 18th 2013 new
Hi Kathleen,
While it is true that links can be created as you describe, current browsers have configurations that often control how links are opened also.
In IE8 (Am going to assume newer versions have similar settings) you can goto:
Tools --> Internet Options - then from the "General tab" look for the "tabs" down at the bottom, and one of the options is to "Open links from other programs in..." which should allow you to choose New Window, New Tab, or Same window.
Also in IE you should be able to hold the CTRL key while clicking on a link to open it in a new tab - but the current tab will remain as the one with the focus. Or hold ctrl & shift while clicking on the link and it will open it in a new tab & move the focus to the new tab automatically.

In Firefox the above behavior of clicking with ctrl and shift should be identical, additionally in Firefox if you shift click it will open the link in a new window.

I have not tried chrome or safari - but imagining the above keyboard shortcuts will work similarly although not necessarily identically.

Hope the above options give you more options biggrin
Oct 18th 2013 new
Looks like shift clicking the link will open a new window in IE also.
Oct 18th 2013 new
Do you mean the links on the side bar?

Done. Thanks for the suggestion.
Oct 18th 2013 new
(quote) Dave-976637 said: Hi Kathleen,
While it is true that links can be created as you describe, current browsers have configurations that often control how links are opened also.
In IE8 (Am going to assume newer versions have similar settings) you can goto:
Tools --> Internet Options - then from the "General tab" look for the "tabs" down at the bottom, and one of the options is to "Open links from other programs in..." which should allow you to choose New Window, New Tab, or Same window.
Also in IE you should be able to hold the CTRL key while clicking on a link to open it in a new tab - but the current tab will remain as the one with the focus. Or hold ctrl & shift while clicking on the link and it will open it in a new tab & move the focus to the new tab automatically.

In Firefox the above behavior of clicking with ctrl and shift should be identical, additionally in Firefox if you shift click it will open the link in a new window.

I have not tried chrome or safari - but imagining the above keyboard shortcuts will work similarly although not necessarily identically.

Hope the above options give you more options
Even easier: right click on the link and select "Open in new tab" or "Open in new window"

Oct 18th 2013 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: Even easier: right click on the link and select "Open in new tab" or "Open in new window"

Thanks Jerry - forgot about those.
Oct 18th 2013 new
Wonderful. You guys are great. Thank you. Kathleen
Posts 1 - 7 of 7