Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Oct 20th 2013 new
Thanks Paul, I might look into the downloads, that is if I can get my Linux computer to play mp3s "arrg! technology! As for Johnny Dollar, when I first heard "Johnny" I thought "this has got to be bad, as described "action packed expense account of a free lance insurance agent," really? seriously? sounded like snoozerville !!" But when I listened I found it is possibly (with a few exceptions of course) one of the best of the old time radio programs.
Oct 20th 2013 new
(quote) Joseph-841276 said: Thanks Paul, I might look into the downloads, that is if I can get my Linux computer to play mp3s "arrg! technology! As for Johnny Dollar, when I first heard "Johnny" I thought "this has got to be bad, as described "action packed expense account of a free lance insurance agent," really? seriously? sounded like snoozerville !!" But when I listened I found it is possibly (with a few exceptions of course) one of the best of the old time radio programs.
When it became a daily show with each story as a 5 parter, it hit its peak. As a weekly half hour show when it first aired it wasn't as good although still good.

There were so many others; Sam Spade, The FBI in Peace an War, This is Your FBI, Crime Photographer, Sherlock Holmes, The Third Man, Philip Marlowe, Richard Diamond, etc..

And the comedians and comedy shows who make today's look like amateurs; Jack Benny, Red Skelton, Abbot and Costello, George Burns and Gracie Allen, Fibber McGee & Molly, Fred Allen, Bob Hope, etc.
Oct 20th 2013 new
(quote) Joseph-841276 said: Thanks Paul, I might look into the downloads, that is if I can get my Linux computer to play mp3s
Joseph, what version/flavor of unix are you using? Is it Fedora or Ubuntu and if so do you know what version and do you know if it is 32 or 64 bit? And the computer you are trying to load it on - do you know the model number on it. With that information I can probably find/suggest an easily and free workable solution for you to be able to play the .mp3s on your linux box.
Oct 20th 2013 new
I so appreciate the technology available! The I phone 4S is a total blessing to my Blind daughter...it had VOICE right out of the box...she can hear all the texts from her other 6 sighted siblings, and she and my Deaf daughter have a perfect communication method...they can "talk" and "read" despite total blindness and total deafness...I LOVE it... on the personal level...my "Droid" enables me to keep up with THEM! LOL
Oct 20th 2013 new
(quote) Marge-938695 said: How do you like the text-to-speech?
I love it Marge. The text-to-Speech app I use is Voice Dream. It's gotten great reviews and is very adaptable. It enables me to listen to books in the car while traveling. This means I don't have to purchase a separate audio book in addition to the e-book I may have purchased. Also any other form of reading I have, I can load it up into the app for future reading. It's a combination of an audio reader and an e-reader.
Oct 21st 2013 new
(quote) Dave-976637 said: Joseph, what version/flavor of unix are you using? Is it Fedora or Ubuntu and if so do you know what version and do you know if it is 32 or 64 bit? And the computer you are trying to load it on - do you know the model number on it. With that information I can probably find/suggest an easily and free workable solution for you to be able to play the .mp3s on your linux box.
Ubuntu (and its derivatives) seem to be set up to lead you to .mp3 support packages pretty easily. If the other distros aren't doing the same, then they are falling behind.
Oct 22nd 2013 new
I have Ubuntu 11.04 and 8.10 for the two machines. I only have it because I worry about viruses. I find it works for most things but I can't use utube. I do think I can just down load the mp3s and burn them to a cd so I can play them in the car.
Oct 22nd 2013 new
I have a desktop computer and internet which I used every day, 2 TVs with cable (good company for those of us who live alone and I'm not apologizing for enjoying selected programs) and a telephone that plugs into the wall. I've never owned a cellphone and don't plan to in the future. The tracking chip bothers me plus they are expensive. A friend told me his monthly cellphone bill was $300 to cover his teenagers' texting and I lost interest in a hurry. I wouldn't know what to do with an Ipad, blackberry, etc.
Oct 22nd 2013 new
I work in the field of "Information Technology". I think the technology items are "tools" to accomplish tasks and can be good and increase productivity. One can easily go to an extreme and spend too much money on the tech item and can be focused on having the latest gadgets - which I think is a waste of money.
Oct 23rd 2013 new
(quote) Ann-69118 said: I don't have cable, an ipod, ipad, I have an ereader I got for Christmas one year but never use it, I don't have a gps or any of the latest gadgets. It's not that I don't like technology it's just that I don't care.
Folks, the future source of energy is NUCLEAR; not alternatives like solar or wind, nor the expendable sources of coal or oil, etc. Some of the alternative stuff will be around, but solar will never be more that 5% and wind will never be more than 15%. Hydro, Oil and Coal will yield to Nuclear. I am going to get hell from all of you out there that just don't know what you are talking about, but have at it; but on judgment day you will see that I am right tongue

BTW, Paul, your comments are accurate!>br>
All the electronic gizmos are just going to keep getting more info powerful and smaller and smaller, and as they do more will be integrated into a single device that does it all, so to speak. Ignoring the usefulness of technology leaves persons behind others.

Technology needs to be put to use for God's sake, not be ignored. Now, technology that tracks and records our every move means two things: we either live the life we say and should live, or it will be the means to our demise, and we quit supporting enterprises that spread immorality and intrusion into private life.
Posts 31 - 40 of 47